Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Need new exhaust for 3.2 Petrol XC90

Views : 688

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:27   #1
jamesholley

Default Need new exhaust for 3.2 Petrol XC90

Hi guys

My rear muffler is blowing, and the pipe in between this and the central box looks rusted as hell.

I have looked around and nowhere seems to supply an exhaust for I suspect is quite a rare model of car.

The local garage reckons a rear box from Volvo is £700, so i am not going any where near that.

Can anybody recommend a place that does custom fit for an XC90 which may be able to help.

Preferably in the Berkshire area as i am based in Reading.

Thanks

James
jamesholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 19:46   #2
ommony

I have been looking into this as well, and ran into the same problem as you - that it's tough to find any readily available exhaust parts for the 3.2 outside of the Volvo main dealer. But based on what you describe, you should be able to get a quick bespoke 'cat back' type exhaust system made at any custom exhaust shop. Since you're not messing with the exhaust manifold/catalytic converters/etc it should be pretty cheap. There's a Powerflow shop somewhere near Reading.

It would also be worth checking if that back portion of the exhaust is different in any meaningful way between the different engines. LOTS of D5 parts around.
ommony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ommony For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2019, 08:22   #3
HK XC90

Hi James,

I did a Quad exhaust conversion on my 3.2, you can read about that here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=267428

In your case, if its repair work, rather than modifying, you can get any 'muffler shop' to fabricate the pipework that requires replacing - leave the CAT alone as they are very expensive and have sensors. The central resonator, if its not damaged can be kept (or removed for more noise), and even some muffler shops can repair the damaged rear muffler. I bought a new OEM Volvo rear box with the R Design tips, for around 400 USD, plus shipping sent to Hong Kong from Chicago. You can hunt around online, or scrapyards for used mufflers, or have a custom muffler installed for a nicer sound and aesthetics. Anything other than OEM would be cheaper. I went OEM, but in hindsight I could have fabricated something for much less money. Jump online and search for trusted muffler shops in your region, and just drive in for a chat, and see if they seem skilled, and reasonably priced. Good luck.

Are the 3.2 rare in UK?
HK XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HK XC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2019, 08:23   #4
HK XC90

Also you can post on the Customised XC90 page on FB, lots of good advice there too. Cheers
HK XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HK XC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2019, 10:05   #5
jamesholley

Thanks guys

In the end I went local, and they seemed to think they would have to custom build something for me.

In the end, the muffler that was fitted looks exactly like the clam shape Volvo part tbh.

It cam to just over £500 in the end as they had to replace the pipe between the muffler and the central box as well. This was very badly corroded.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
jamesholley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesholley For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2023, 13:47   #6
sreviz
Master Member

Hello,
Iam in need the same, about to buy a used car which has leaky front , middle and rear exhaust. Does anyone knows where the custom exhaust shop near Croydon area please in South London.

I need to replace myself if I buy it.

Thank you.
Engine D4204T8.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote