Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 164 parts! - Nearly Free!!!!

Views : 3931

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2011, 15:38   #1
Sean706

Default Volvo 164 parts! - Nearly Free!!!!

Hi guys, dont shoot me but I have just acquired a volvo 164 for banger racing, the shell is shot but the majority of the trim is good condition and other than the seats the black vinyl/leather interior is in fairly good nick.

Now, I obviously dont want these parts for my purpose and it seems a shame to bin 'em. I am offering all of the parts I remove from the car for free, this includes radiator, power steering unit, alternator, fuel tank, all glass etc etc etc etc etc

However, the car is fuel injection and I would rather race it on carbs, if anyone wants the parts listed above for free I would like to borrow at the very least a manifold and linkage and preferably - a complete set of carbs, manifold and linkage.

Please dont give me messages of 'its a waste' etc, the car was advertised and I bought it!

Please call/txt me on

Also, if anyone has a set of carbs etc that I could rent/borrow and you dont want all the 164 parts then please also get in touch.
Sean706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 17:58   #2
john h
VOC Member

Can I have first call on the parts please.

I'll send you a list of the things I am interested in.

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 19:59   #3
Sean706

Ok John, txt me the list as soon as you know if you have the carbs etc
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 07:47   #4
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default need fuel pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean706 View Post
Hi guys, dont shoot me but I have just acquired a volvo 164 for banger racing, the shell is shot but the majority of the trim is good condition and other than the seats the black vinyl/leather interior is in fairly good nick.

Now, I obviously dont want these parts for my purpose and it seems a shame to bin 'em. I am offering all of the parts I remove from the car for free, this includes radiator, power steering unit, alternator, fuel tank, all glass etc etc etc etc etc

However, the car is fuel injection and I would rather race it on carbs, if anyone wants the parts listed above for free I would like to borrow at the very least a manifold and linkage and preferably - a complete set of carbs, manifold and linkage.

Please dont give me messages of 'its a waste' etc, the car was advertised and I bought it!

Please call/txt me on

Also, if anyone has a set of carbs etc that I could rent/borrow and you dont want all the 164 parts then please also get in touch.
For 164E Also brain and would be willin to pay a resable price .
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2011, 14:40   #5
Sean706

Brain? I figured it would be on points . . .
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 10:06   #6
Sean706

It seems John is unable to locate the parts I need to borrow and the other chap that txt me isn't answering his phone for last 2 days? :-S

I have tried to help out you guys by offering the parts up for free in return for carbs but no avail.

Can anyone tell me how to wire up the fuel injection system by-passing the original loom? Is the brain the box on the inner wing? Has four wires on the plug and the distributor has 3. Do I simply 'live up' one of the wires that go into the brain?
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 23:17   #7
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Sean - I really wish we were closer to you, cos only today I fetched down from my recently vandalised rented garage near my sons place, lots of 164 spares. These included carbs, manifold and distributor for a carb car.... I also had lots of Amazon and 140 panels, as I confronted pykies driving into the garage area during the week, and taking something from one garage which had the door smashed in by thugs.
All 18 garages in the block were kicked in (so scum could see what was inside?) so now its only a matter of time before spares start to vanish. Going back in a couple of days to collect another 240-estate load (if not too late).
Anyway, I too would have loved to have your surplus injection bits, as I run a 164E like mike B does. However, I have lots of carb 164 spares from previously-owned cars, hence my mail. However, on your car have you considered how you would block the injector holes: you would need a carb-car distributor; a lot of bugg**y around the fuel supply (carb cars were a system like the Amazon/140, ie mechanical petrol pump), a different exhaust system and wiring alterations to the ignition system AT LEAST.
Seriously, if the injection system works OK on your car, why not leave it as it is? Is it racing regulations, or do you fancy a HUGE challenge?
If still interested, do you have an economic couriers between your area and the Worthing area of the south coast, cos that lot will be costly to move.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 23:20   #8
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Sean - reread your post and forgot to say the brain usually lives under the front passenger seat, on the floor. Its about the size of an old cassette recorder and has a many-wired plug going in to it.
Don't ask me anything about car electrics alterations - I don't have a clue!

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 10:48   #9
Sean706

Hi Paul, I was unaware it was such a big job, I figured it was just a case of changing the inlet manifold and maybe thee distributor :-S
Can you give me a call tonight, after 8pm? Or txt ur number and I'll call you
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 12:49   #10
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Hi Sean,

Thanks for coming on here and offering us parts...banger racers often get a bad name amongst enthusiasts, but I know a few now who are willing to help out with parts they don't need, and the cars in question are usually beyond repair anyway.

I could do with most of the chrome trim from the sides (i.e. down the wings, doors, etc), if you could remove them carefully. If they end up in good condition (they're a bit of a sod to remove without bending / kinking them), I'd be happy to give you some beer money for them. I have family in Cornwall (my old man was born in Redruth), and will be heading down at Easter, when I could arrange a collection. There may be other bits and bobs, too...I'll have a think!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote