Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to Reset SRS warning light?

Views : 39628

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:13   #1
boardrider5050

Default How to Reset SRS warning light?

Hi,

I had to take out my drivers seat and replace the runners but before re-connecting the plugs under the seat I started the engine and the SRS warning light came on. They are all connected now but the light is staying on. Is there a trick to reset it? Can anyone recommend a cheap OBDII tool that can reset it if not?

Cheers
boardrider5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:21   #2
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

There is NO WAY to re-set it WITHOUT going into a dealership I'm afraid If you explain what happened i'm sure they will be sympathetic & do it fer a few quid

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:24   #3
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

The system does a self check every time you turn the ignition on so a fault must still be present.

Once you find and cure the fault the light should go out.

As Keith has implied you need either a VCT2000 or a DICE to communicate with the car. Either via a dealer or someone else who has the equipment and knows how to use it properly.

For the pre me7 stuff I seem to recall that VADIS advises you to put the ignition key into pos I before reconnecting the battery after playing with SRS stuff. It might be different for ME7.

Find out how to fix it before going any further.... replacing air bag modules is very expensive, esp the SIPS which are £600 per side.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R

Last edited by acshortt5; Jul 28th, 2011 at 16:28.
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:26   #4
october37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardrider5050 View Post
Hi,

I had to take out my drivers seat and replace the runners but before re-connecting the plugs under the seat I started the engine and the SRS warning light came on. They are all connected now but the light is staying on. Is there a trick to reset it? Can anyone recommend a cheap OBDII tool that can reset it if not?

Cheers
Try discooecting the negative battery terminal. Wait about ten minutes before reconnecting. This worked on a previous V70 I had.
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:33   #5
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by october37 View Post
Try discooecting the negative battery terminal. Wait about ten minutes before reconnecting. This worked on a previous V70 I had.

Also...

Before reconnecting the battery, switch the ignition to position II, this sometimes helps by giving the electronics a 'soft' start. I discovered this tip somewhere in the forums (goodness knows where) when I was doing quite a bit of work on my V70 where I kept taking out the top half of the dash - and because of the passenger airbag, I always disconnected the battery. Each time I reconnected, I was getting the dreaded flashing up arrow for the auto box (cleared by starting, stopping and restarting about five times... a right pain).

Read the tip about the 'soft' start and never had the problem again.

Worth a try, anyway.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:33   #6
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

As Andrew said SRS re-sets are a reet pain ..... which is why my Steering wheel is STILL about 5 Degrees off Central .. There aint NO WAY I'm disconnecting the damned Air bag just to straighten it up !!!

Keith
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:34   #7
boardrider5050

I tried disconnecting the battery over night as this worked on my old V40 for a different warning light but it didn't work.

If it self checks then why would the light need to be reset? If the fault was there it would just come straight back on. The light had never come on before I took the seat out and everything is back where it was now so I can't see how there could still be a fault?

This is a 2005 C70 (old shape) convertible. Wouldn't it be OBD2 compliant?

Cheers
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:38   #8
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

it IS OBD2 compliant but most Code Readers will not allow access to the SRS system.

& the SRS light comes on because there isa FAULT LOGGED in the System .... you may have "Cured" the Fault but as it "Remembers" the Fault being there you have to "TELL IT" that you've cured it .. i.e. Re-set the System ..

keith
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:51   #9
boardrider5050

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
it IS OBD2 compliant but most Code Readers will not allow access to the SRS system.

& the SRS light comes on because there isa FAULT LOGGED in the System .... you may have "Cured" the Fault but as it "Remembers" the Fault being there you have to "TELL IT" that you've cured it .. i.e. Re-set the System ..

keith
OK cool - that's what I thought and why I wanted a way of resetting it. Andrew's post threw me as he implied that if the fault had gone then the light would be going out on it's own as it would self check and reset it.

I'll try the soft start thing first as it can't do any harm and if that fails it's off to Volvo again..

Cheers
Old Jul 28th, 2011, 16:56   #10
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
As Andrew said SRS re-sets are a reet pain ..... which is why my Steering wheel is STILL about 5 Degrees off Central .. There aint NO WAY I'm disconnecting the damned Air bag just to straighten it up !!!

Keith
It's not difficult so long as you are methodical, and follow the procedures in VADIS.

I've recently swapped my steering wheel for a newer (less worn out) one with the wood trim. Took me 20 minutes.

Why is it 5 deg off central? Has the steering wheel been off before? If not then it's a tracking issue and should be corrected with the track rods.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote