Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Crying Shame !!

Views : 6777

Replies : 117

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 11th, 2012, 12:37   #11
Jimcoted

Paddy I have found it, in Margate £20

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-850-...item4ab05d702d
Jimcoted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcoted For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 12:41   #12
Lmason
L Mason

Cool

if the engine management light is coming on, the ruff running of the engine can cause the arrow light to come on the gearbox.

so your problem might not be the gearbox or ecu, at all.

the engine has to be running right if it isnt, it will affect the auto box and it will go into limp home mode.
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lmason For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 12:46   #13
paddy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmason View Post
if the engine management light is coming on, the ruff running of the engine can cause the arrow light to come on the gearbox.

the engine has to be running right if it isnt, it will affect the auto box and it will go into limp home mode.
Have had the codes read on the car a few weeks back mate, came back with the one code saying 3rd gear out of Ratio !

Spoken to a Volvo Mechanic just, and he says the same, Defo not the ECU!
Could be Gear Selector Faulty, Speed Sensor in Gearbox, or Box completly Shagged !!
paddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 12:49   #14
paddy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmason View Post

Management light was turned off a few weeks back when i had a new PNP switch put on. Two days later it came back on ?
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 12:59   #15
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy1 View Post
Management light was turned off a few weeks back when i had a new PNP switch put on. Two days later it came back on ?
Is your engine running ok?.....Management light is emissions!....as Les says the engine must be spot on to not effect the auto box, as it changes gear depending where the torque has moved to because of an ill-tuned engine.

If you go for the ECU at Margate his name is Gordon and i deal with him now and again and his service is bang on.

Quote:
Have had the codes read on the car a few weeks back mate, came back with the one code saying 3rd gear out of Ratio

The codes will say that as it is in Limp Home Mode!!!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Jan 11th, 2012 at 13:09.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 13:13   #16
paddy1

[QUOTE=960kg;1065783]Is your engine running ok?.....Management light is emissions!....as Les says the engine must be spot on to not effect the auto box, as it changes gear depending where the torque has moved to because of an ill-tuned engine.

If you go for the ECU at Margate his name is Gordon and i deal with him now and again and his service is bang on.

Just Taken th Missus to work with no Arrow Flashing...The car ran as sweet as a nut there and back (4miles) i even booted it on way back and car just took off like a T5 should..changed gear perfectly...??!!??!!
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 13:31   #17
Jimcoted

I am not a mechanic but because this fault is so clearly sporadic I would gravitate towards electrical rather than any form of mechanical fault, totally knackered gearboxes don't usually rectify themselves every so often. For the sake of a score I would try the ECU, if mine were the same code you could happily try my one but it isn't. I second what is said about Gordon he is very efficient I have bought off him and it is there next day. I too have had mechanics saying "Oh no could not be that or it is so and so" and be wrong. I threatened to sue Triangle Volvo about 20 years ago, £1300 on bits and labour for my sisters car only for it to turn out to be a broken wire in the heated seat element causing the fault!! They never had a clue and just launched into a change everything till it's cured routine. They paid up.
Jimcoted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimcoted For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 14:07   #18
paddy1

I hear what your saying Jim, may as well try it i suppose.

Anyways, just flew down to my mechanic to get the Management light turned off. The reader came back with just the one code..3rd Gear out of ratio once again !

Dont suppose you have a number for the guy from Margate ?

Thanks.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 14:30   #19
paddy1

Just spoken to Gordon, ECU in the post !

Fingers, Legs, Everything Crossed !!

Thanks everyone for all your help.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 14:33   #20
Lmason
L Mason

paddy....i can bet when the engine management comes on...the arrow light will come on soon before or soon after.

it sounds to me the problem is in the engine, regardless of what the codes say for the gearbox.

if it is driving now fine, then the gearbox is fine.

it will say out of sink the code when there is a fault on the engine management side.

cos, when the eingine is "out of tune" the gearox will not change gear when it should, thus throwing up arrow limp home mode.

your engine has to be running fine.

if the codes were reset, the chances are the engine management light will come on again after a few miles. maybe 70 or 200 miles.

sound to me you need to focus on getting the engine management system right before anyting else.

also, from my experience, id maye say it is the baramoeter sensor under the bonnet, behind the headlight, on drivers side.
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lmason For This Useful Post: