Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Saying hello from Oz

Views : 3162

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2012, 23:26   #11
stevo48
Premier Member

Wink

What a stunning example, congrats on such a fine purchase, I hope you enjoy the forums and ownership of such a fine clasic.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevo48 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 00:49   #12
Lindz55

Default Thanks for all the comments

Yes, very true about the sun here. Catherine's already made up a dash cover and we are now sourcing some bearable seat covers ... definitely not those ones with Betty Boop We very nearly bought a '69 142 that was offered to us on the Gold Coast but before we could get to see it this gem came up. I love the 142 but just can't afford it unfortunately. Why didn't I buy an 1800 years ago?!! Was also offered a very clean 164 (metallic blue) just the other day but while my mouth was watering, I had to look the other way. Snoop drives so beautifully that I look forward to getting out in her every day. There's that wonderful clunk when you close those doors that just doesn't happen on these modern sardine cans. Might start looking for an Abba doll to hang from the mirror I'm running on a Premium 98 and while it's a bit pricier, I reckon it's worth it. Price is about $1.50 a Litre.
Lindz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:36   #13
stevo48
Premier Member

That works out at 97 pence per litre at current converion rates which is pretty cheap up to the cost of fuel here in the uk currently averaging £1.31 a litre for 95 and as much as £1.39 for 98, I would give the abba doll a miss it just wouldn't look right
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevo48 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:16   #14
Lindz55

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo48 View Post
That works out at 97 pence per litre at current converion rates which is pretty cheap up to the cost of fuel here in the uk currently averaging £1.31 a litre for 95 and as much as £1.39 for 98, I would give the abba doll a miss it just wouldn't look right
I think you're right about the Abba doll. I'll save up everything for spare parts and maybe another Volvo Yes, petrol is much cheaper here thankfully. Have just come back from trying to find some "sedate" car seat covers but wasn't able to find anything exactly right.
Lindz55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:50   #15
copperknob

hi lindz and welcome from sunny scotland
copperknob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to copperknob For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:19   #16
Michael 727
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz55 View Post
Yes, very true about the sun here. Catherine's already made up a dash cover and we are now sourcing some bearable seat covers .....
Our 144S's back seat top has also designated thanks to Aussie sun.
Maybe have a look at getting a rear window blind (or whatever its called).

They are fairly common on 164 s, 140 s and 240 s here in Australia.
Our red 164E has the black style and it suits very well. The kids feel the difference in the backseats between the 2 cars and they complain whenever we are driving the 144s on a hot sunny day with the sun on their backs.

If your car ever pings, give fuel additive a trail (we use 98 as well, but the area where we get it, the quality aint that great).

Last edited by Michael 727; Jun 22nd, 2012 at 12:36. Reason: added additive
Michael 727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 13:21   #17
Lindz55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 727 View Post
Our 144S's back seat top has also designated thanks to Aussie sun.
Maybe have a look at getting a rear window blind (or whatever its called).

They are fairly common on 164 s, 140 s and 240 s here in Australia.
Our red 164E has the black style and it suits very well. The kids feel the difference in the backseats between the 2 cars and they complain whenever we are driving the 144s on a hot sunny day with the sun on their backs.

If your car ever pings, give fuel additive a trail (we use 98 as well, but the area where we get it, the quality aint that great).
Hi Michael. Yes we are using a FlashLube Valve Saver System to feed upper cylinder lubricant into the carby automatically and the 98. Seems to be running really smoothly. I've heard that there can be a lot of difference where you buy your fuel but so far (fingers crossed) we've been lucky. Are the three cars in the pics yours or just sourced from the net? I think I prefer the old fashioned venetians on the inside. We wouldn't mind trying to get hold of a towbar one day; just for a trailer though.Do you get to any swapmeets or rallies? Thanks for your advice.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 10:54   #18
foxcoverteddy

Default hello from oz

hi and welcome, love the car and the pictures, but above all it is the ability to communicate across the world.
At one time I was in touch with a club in Oz, our Thames Valley Section and without computer's in those far off days we corresponded, naturally we said there was always a welcome if they came to London, afternoon english tea, and by jingo this charming couple turned up out of the blue.
We also had members of the dutch V44 club, come and stay i n good old downtown Tooting.
As we now have family in sydney and springfield Brisbane we are more likely to arrive down under.
Nice to have you on the forum, perhaps it is not my place to say that, but there you go, can't find my book on Strine, regards from Ireland, The Marble city Kilkenny
foxcoverteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foxcoverteddy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:02   #19
Lindz55

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcoverteddy View Post
hi and welcome, love the car and the pictures, but above all it is the ability to communicate across the world.
At one time I was in touch with a club in Oz, our Thames Valley Section and without computer's in those far off days we corresponded, naturally we said there was always a welcome if they came to London, afternoon english tea, and by jingo this charming couple turned up out of the blue.
We also had members of the dutch V44 club, come and stay i n good old downtown Tooting.
As we now have family in sydney and springfield Brisbane we are more likely to arrive down under.
Nice to have you on the forum, perhaps it is not my place to say that, but there you go, can't find my book on Strine, regards from Ireland, The Marble city Kilkenny
Thanks for that, mate.
Yes, the internet is a great way to stay in touch. Just had some minor paint and panel work done and snoopy's looking bewdiful. Still hunting down some appropriate seat covers and still considering a venetian blind for the rear screen. I changed all the plug and coil leads a couple of weeks ago as she had a little hiccup here and there and now she's purring like an Abba groupie. I think the ones I replaced were original (is that possible after 40 years?). Be good to catch up with some other 144 owners and maybe get to a rally or two. Would like to get the electric clock repaired soon. Hope you've had some good weather over there in The Emerald Isle
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:45   #20
foxcoverteddy

Default saying hello from oz

yeah, it's raining so at least we have water, some pray for it.
Have you joined the volvo clubs here, though in reality not a lot of mileage in doing that? Reason there is not much one can do with the mags after reading them, they get put on the shelf and gather dust, the mags are truly pro jobs and excellent read's.
Quite prepared to post my copies on if interested, need an address if affirmative.
We post to springfield often enough and will do more now as our Aoife is expecting.
This is of course an optional, but we just love OZ, regards from the Magical emerald Isle.
foxcoverteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foxcoverteddy For This Useful Post: