Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 vs 740

Views : 22251

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2013, 00:03   #1
JJKM

Default 240 vs 740

A question for the experienced Volvo enthusiasts. Is there much of a difference between like aged 240 and 740's? I realise the aesthetic difference, but is there any REAL differences?? My understanding is that the 740 was introduced to phase out the 240 which subsequently ended up living out the 740 which sort of implies the plan was a flop. I know the 6 cylinder diesel is more common in the 740 and would be quite interested in swapping for my 2.0 petrol torslanda, despite loving it! Is there any benefit of changing to a 740, or am I better sticking with my 240, regardless of the difference in engine... if that makes sense...?
JJKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 14:13   #2
57RKL

Hi, Swapping my 240 Torslanda for a 740 Turbo Estate was my biggest Volvo regret. I bought the 740 unseen after a long conversation with the owner. It was fast, handled pretty well.... was rust free..... cant think any other positives over the 240.

Negatives, Engine leaked oil over my drive, 20mpg, factory sunroof leaked, and worst of all the interior. All the plastics are crap, no make that CRAP !!!. Rattles, squeaks, cracked dash, broken door plastics, headlining hanging down, etc etc.

My 240 Torslanda was slow ! I also tow a caravan, soI made a big mistake, seduced by the promise of a 182bhp 740 Turbo Intercooler. My Torslanda was an outstanding car. Interior was mint and made to a completely different standard to 740s. It had only done 111,000 miles. Was quiet a mouse inside and out. No sunroof or bust electric mirrors etc. Did 32- 35 mpg, my wife loved it,... What a mug I was selling it. Still regret it now, even though I own a beautiful 940 Estate with minimal electric stuff.

In my opinion, The 940 is the finished article as the late 80s till 93 240s are. 940 interiors are rock solid except peeling door plastics. There will be some good looked after 740 estates out there. But go and see it and try before you buy.

If I could turn back the clock I would swap in a 2.3lpt into the 240 torslanda. Failing that, find that elusive mint low mileage 240 GLT estate I can afford.
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 57RKL For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 15:01   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The 740's are ok but as mentioned the interior does fall to bits, mainly the headlining. The interior can be upgraded with 940 items. I'm no big fan of the 7/9 series but they are good cars and for a good easy base car for a bit of decent power fun a 940 turbo has the right package to start with.

The 240 does have many advantages being a little smaller but just as good if not better load space. Parts are much cheaper for a 240 including genuine Volvo parts. On the down side the 240 is a little less refined but cabin noise can be reduced with extra sound deadening etc and the 7/9 is not that much better.

If you are finding your B200 slightly sluggish then swapping in a B230 bottom end would solve this for you. If you are finding the B200 very sluggish then turbo conversion is the way forward. You already have the best base car for doing the conversion.

If it is just heavy on fuel a good stage 0 service would be a good idea and if the fuel side is a big killer then change to fuel that costs less.
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 16:02   #4
TurboZutek
Premier Member

I always thought the 240 was a considerably better looking car than the 700's.

Of course it's all personal preference, but I'd prefer a 240 any day.

Chris...
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 17:01   #5
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

My 740 estate did serve me well. Shifting conference kit around England and Wales. It cornered more happily than the 240. The 740 GLT headlights included integral fog lamp which did help when driving home exhausted in early morning mist. The load space is a little shorter in the 740 estate and that can matter. The 740 estate had split rear seats which can be very useful.

I'm pleased to be back with a 240 now. It's an engineered vehicle. It's a Volvo. As soon as I brought it home, neighbours started having an interested look at it ....
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 17:25   #6
volvo always
Premier Member

I had a 1986 740GLE estate with B230K engine and liked it except for the brittle plastics and carb problems after 3 years. Had the red interior and got lucky at a scrapyard for spares. The headlining used to sag a bit but the biggest letdown was the pierberg carb and replacement weber carb as eventually suffered from poor running. Used to drive fine for 3 hours then start spluttering and the rev counter bouncing wildly from 1,000-3000 rpm. Clean the carb jets and sometimes ok but became regular on short journeys. Was pretty rot free though and all instruments and electrics worked.
Bought for £425 and had it for over 5 years. PX at 180,000 roughly.
I did like the split folding seats which my 240 doesn't have.

Now have a 1989 240GLT automatic (after a new Toyota) that I bought in 2009 for £350 with 11 months mot and 159,000 miles with full Volvo service history up to 135,000 miles. It's been faultless and is my only car. Basic servicing costs apart from a new alternator at 191,000 miles. Now nearly done 200k
Love the B230E engine and the lazy driving style of the automatic.
There are 2 rusty bits to sort out and rear arches getting a bit crusty now, and is in no way mint but it keeps passing the MOT or costs less than £100 in parts, mostly ball joints and track rod ends!
Would I sell it, NO Keeping it for as long as possible.
I actually feel safer in a 240 than my 740 as that didn't have side impact bars in the doors.

James

Last edited by volvo always; Dec 18th, 2013 at 17:31.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 17:35   #7
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question am I better sticking with my 240

tbh in my view the 240/740 and 940 where all great, unless you want to change cars then stick with what you have the 240 is more sought after than the 740 or 940.

they are all old cars now you could sell a good one and well you take a chance with buying any secondhand car.

as for starting changing engines over etc unless you really want to keep the car you have and want to upgrade or modify for more power or whatever then its work and money that may not add to the value.

why not go look at a few other options ie a diesel or turbo petrol 740/940, or even have a test drive in a 960, you may fall for one or just be more content with the 240.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 17:47   #8
JJKM

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm not really looking for more power, I'm perfectly happy! I just have the itch to try the grumbly 6 cylinder to be honest. I love my 240 but it has done 230,000 and is aesthetically rough so just get concerned about it carrying on! I look after it, but the MOT is in February. It's going for a check over on Friday to see how much the damage is likely to be. If it's not too bad then i'll stick with it and finally tackle the noisy trailing arm bushes! I don't really want to get rid, but just baring in mind options in case it is not economically viable to keep running it. Still looking for blo*dy hockey sticks too; missing the whole set which really annoys me!! Thanks all again
JJKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 20:52   #9
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Dont get rid of it..keep it..you will miss it..cheers hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 21:22   #10
paddingtonbear

The bloody electrics in 740s are crap, I am no expert but I have had 3 different cars fairly recently and all over them stopped randomly for no apparent reason ( all ignition side), the fuel gauges did not work and could not be made to work and the speedos all became random. Although having said all that I have another 740 GLE with the same problems so hey ho!
paddingtonbear is offline   Reply With Quote