Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Project 240 - old skool

Views : 11776

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2014, 16:52   #1
oblark

Default Project 240 - old skool

I picked this 1983 244 GL up from a retired flight instructor who has owned the car from new. It was he`s daily drive up until about 10 years ago when he parked it up coz he got a company car.

Generally it`s a solid car with some rust in the rear wells on either side of the boot and a hole in the N/S seal. This will get sorted when I`m off over christmas.

I`ve only had a few hours spare here and they over the last week to get her started and it finally burst into life yester afternoon. I`ve had to strip and rebuild the car as the old petrol had stuck the floats to the bottom of the float chamber. Also had to fit a new battery and a set of HT leads.

My plans for the car is to lower it, fit some wider wheels and drop in a 940 lpt engine.

1996 850 AWD M4.4 ECU with COP`s, K24 turbo, 3.25" MAF,
oblark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 20:48   #2
oblark

I thought as it was a nice day I would make a start on the rust.

The small hole in the seal wasn`t that small once I removed the old metal.

Ended up patching the inner and outer seals.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 13:01   #3
240T
VOC Member

Looks good - curious to see what happens next! I see you're in Hampshire... Not so far from a few of us on here. If you've got the wonders of Facebook, we've set up a little group named 'Volvo 240 Owners UK'. It's worthwhile joining, not every member from it is on the forum so we'd be curious to see how this project turns out!

Tim
240T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 240T For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 20:12   #4
oblark

You are just up the road from me

I joined the "volvo 240 owners UK" facebook group a couple of weeks ago.

Finished off welding the spare wheel well.

I had ago to see if I could the sender unit out and once I dug the mud and rust off the sender unit came out very easily. As the car had been stood for a number of years I was inspecting to find the remains of a few gallons of fuel but to my surprise they was 3" of 10 year old petrol. I`m either going to remove it or mix it with some fresh petrol.

The Following User Says Thank You to oblark For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 22:13   #5
240T
VOC Member

Ah excellent, my apologies for not noticing you were already on there! Give me a PM or message if you ever want me to pop round in the 240 to help out. There's a few of us who are in/very close to Hants. There's an auto GLT in Fordingbridge that has been off the road for a while and I need to make contact with the owner..

Looks great, keep us updated!

Tim
240T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 240T For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 22:22   #6
oblark

I'm looking into if it's possible to use a 850 intank pump and do away with the external pump as they run at 3.8 bar and the 940 only runs at 3 bar.

Old Dec 1st, 2014, 08:59   #7
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblark View Post
I'm looking into if it's possible to use a 850 intank pump and do away with the external pump as they run at 3.8 bar and the 940 only runs at 3 bar.
You will be able to. Later 240's use an in tank pump and a smaller external pump under the rear passenger seat.

If you get hold of a later fuel pump cradle thingy you'll be able to fit that and bin the external pump completely.

I'm running a AEM 50-1000 fuel pump in my 240 which only took minor modification to the fuel pump cradle to get it to fit as its much larger than a stock 240 in tank pump. It enabled me to bin the external pump and it'll fuel just about any power upgrades I can think of in the future since it flows 320lph at 43psi and an support up to 1000bhp with the right size fuel lines.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 12:39   #8
oblark

I can get hold of a aftermarket injection sender but it doesn't have the fuel pump cradle.

To get over this I thought I would just cable tie the pump to the return line.

Old Dec 7th, 2014, 01:23   #9
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Nice to see you giving this car a new lease of life, and cutting the rot out of it. Judging by those figures on another post about how few 240SEs are left, I doubt there's many of these left either - so it looks like this lucky car will join the ranks of the 'last survivors'.

But one question about your repair of the spare wheel area: have you deliberately taken the bulge out of the bottom of it, by giving it a flat bottom? Will a spare still fit in it? Just a thought - nobody else commented on that.

Either way, I look forward to seeing more pics of your progress and all the best with setting this car up how you want it and having it back on the road.

Thanks
John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 22:32   #10
oblark

As this car will only get used at the weekends the spare will be strapped to the middle of the boot.

As she is a early 80's model the speedo is driven off of the gearbox, but the 940 gets it speedo drive from the back axle. So to fit a 940 engine and box I'd have to also fit a late 240 axle and instruments. This could be a right can of worms that I dont to open.

I'm not looking to get massive amounts of bhp out of it so I'm going to tune the B21A engine by fitting twin webers and a tubular exhaust. The plan is to get the car on the road for the summer. (All going well)