Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

164 advertisement

Views : 1152

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2016, 17:50   #1
cassell
Member since 1988

Wink 164 advertisement

Hi,

Just found this for you 164 enthusiasts!

http://www.carsperformance.net/volvo...o-think-video/

Paul
1800ES and XC90
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 00:26   #2
number

Thanks for the link I'm always very nostalgic about the 164 as my father had a metallic blue / green 164 TE in the 1970s with tan colour seats. It was very luxurious and at that time a car with air conditioning was almost unheard of.

The 3rd picture in of the blue green 164 on this web page looks a little strange. The front end appears to be a 1973 car with thinner straight bumpers and a shortened grille, although the door handles are the earlier push button type.

Was this combination ever possible new or possibly doors or front end have been replaced?
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 09:30   #3
Triple-S
How Old?

Very observant, number ! However, in 1972/73 the 164 (and indeed the 140 range) were going through a lot of transition due several reasons. Being canny though they didn't just proclaim that on a certain date they would implement changes - they used up stock before continuing with new stock. One of my 164s is a '72 model but with the same bumper/grill as that pic, whereas the SA-assembled one made the same month has the early alloy grill and early style steel wheels - both have later door handles though.

This car has indicator-repeaters along the side as if American spec, but built-in spot lights rather than small grill discs the US market had throughout the life of the model. LHD car though, with wipers the continental side, and rare alloy wheels: no headlamp wipers though.

One of the first cars with customer options? Wait until the BMW-Mini comes of age - they used to boast over a million combinations!

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2016, 20:03   #4
number

Thanks Triple-S, I guess this could well be the case with different combinations of parts being used for different markets. It would be interesting what interior it has but the colour which looks original seems right for 72/73. The one my father had was 1974 (M) and was this colour.
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 15:40   #5
cassell
Member since 1988

Well spotted!

I used to sell Volvo's in the early '70's and yes, there was regularly a crossover of some features and parts within the same model as it was developed.

I remember that the last 1800E coupe models lost their composite steel/alloy wheels, separate front seat headrests and fixed back seat, acquiring the steel wheels, high back seats and folding back seat from the ES. I also remember a customer who ordered a standard 144DL saloon which for some reason came from the factory with 144GL leather upholstery and GL wheel embellishments at no extra cost...he was well chuffed!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 18:17   #6
guitarman

Lots of good print advertising for the 140/164 cars, Volvo were very good at promotional material, certainly back in those days. It would be great if you could by a book of Volvo ads, the kind of thing Brooklands Books produce.
My favourite is the tower of 144s!
Thinking of auto books; it's about time a 140 /164 book arrived; there's a good Amazon/P1800 one available; needs a guru to write it.....Paul? 😉
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 20:46   #7
Triple-S
How Old?

No no no no.....! Besides, I'd step onto too many people's toes: done that before when doing lectures on my former work (at Bristow helicopters). There was always a cocky individual who considered he knew more without ever working there.....

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 21:14   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Try this one

http://brooklandsbooks.co.uk/index.p...product_id=256
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote