Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4/5 tuning- Interesting..

Views : 9306

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2019, 15:57   #51

Spoke to Steinbauer and responsei s below.

They do sou d like a step above the other boxes but you pay for it...
Just over 1k normal price and Feb offer of 728 at the moment.

Further to your recent visit to the STEINBAUER website and our brief phone conversation.

Thanks for your interest in a STEINBAUER Performance Power Module for the Volvo V90.

For your further information:

STEINBAUER Performance improvements:

Power

Torque

Standard

232 BHP

354 lbs/ft

STEINBAUER

278 BHP

425 lbs/ft

cid:image003.png@01D48579.D991E020

How the STEINBAUER works – Not all electronic tuning is the same!

We do NOT re-calibrate the Engine Control Unit (ECU) or increase diesel common rail fuel pressure to achieve better performance and efficiency!

The STEINBAUER Power Module modifies the standard diesel fuel injection system by fine tuning the duration of the injectors - Lengthening the “pulse” by a varied amount subject to engine load. Therefore, releasing more power and torque and depending on driving style, not compromising MPG. We do NOT increase fuel pressure or interfere with the standard ECU. Therefore, all vehicle manufacturer safety settings remain in place. Everything we do is “down-stream” of the ECU and our unit is easily removable without trace.
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 225 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 16:21   #52
LordLucan

I received a similar response. Doubt I'll opt for that over the Polestar given the cost.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 16:43   #53

Looking at https://engineered.polestar.com/uk/p...automatic-2018 I assume they have got their NM and ftlbs mixed up?
I can understand the slight upgrade of torque from 354 to 369ft lbs but they are stating NMs. I would then assume the 20sec bump is up to 520 NMs which is 383 ft lbs.

So 750 quid for 5 bhp, 15 ft lb torque permanently and an extra 15 or so when pressing on for 20 sec. No thanks.
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 16:52   #54
LordLucan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post

So 750 quid for 5 bhp, 15 ft lb torque permanently and an extra 15 or so when pressing on for 20 sec. No thanks.
I agree that the headlien figures dont look appealing but i suspect its more about the mid range driveability and gearbox/AWD optimisations as a package. Its a shame that the overboost function doesnt appear to be a feature of the D4 optimisation.
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 17:24   #55
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLucan View Post
I agree that the headlien figures dont look appealing but i suspect its more about the mid range driveability and gearbox/AWD optimisations as a package. Its a shame that the overboost function doesnt appear to be a feature of the D4 optimisation.
i agree...i have a D4 polestar engineered and i wish it had that function of overboost. But in some way it makes sense that only the D5 has that function... because it's the most powerful one and D4 was always an engine to save and satisfy on fuel comsuption level. If there is an engine on diesel platform ready to give some performance, it is normal that it will be the D5 and therefore clients that wish performance will go for the more powerful one.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 00:22   #56
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Smth wring with their numbers. Stock engine peaks at 500 torques.
500Nm with Polestar. I think it is a bit less in standard tune, around 480Nm and the 520Nm promised for the overboost makes it substantially more than the standard tune engine.
Yes, there is something wrong with the figures where they seem to confuse metric and imperial. I may be an odd sort but I prefer to use horsepower with Nm for torque. That's the way I've worked for probably 30+ years. Perfectly happy with metric or imperial for speed and volume and even getting that way for fuel consumption as the years go by.

I wish the UK would go fully metric.

Steinbauer claim 576Nm which is way more than the Polestar even with the new power boost. Far better bang for your buck than Polestar and it can be removed and resold or fitted to your next Volvo. Forget the gearbox optimisation in Polestar and just use the sport mode as you need it. With that much extra power the whole character of the car will change anyhow, including the gearbox responsiveness.

Personally I would be wary of the effect of creating more soot and its effect on the DPF. Having said that, it may be mitigated by higher exhaust gas temperature aiding regeneration. I have no experience of the product so can't offer more than ideas.
Also the torque at the gearbox input shaft of a D5 with Steinbauer must be approaching or exceeding the recommended limit for the IW auto transmission. Not that it would necessarily be a problem unless driven hard with a 2,5 ton trailer behind it.

Last edited by Quacker; Feb 13th, 2019 at 00:40.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 00:35   #57
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
i agree...i have a D4 polestar engineered and i wish it had that function of overboost. But in some way it makes sense that only the D5 has that function... because it's the most powerful one and D4 was always an engine to save and satisfy on fuel comsuption level. If there is an engine on diesel platform ready to give some performance, it is normal that it will be the D5 and therefore clients that wish performance will go for the more powerful one.
You can install the Steinbauer unit though.

I wonder what happens if it is installed on an engine already fitted with Polestar mapping? It would be interesting to find out. I expect it would outperform the standard D5 engine easily.
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 02:16   #58
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
You can install the Steinbauer unit though.

I wonder what happens if it is installed on an engine already fitted with Polestar mapping? It would be interesting to find out. I expect it would outperform the standard D5 engine easily.
Probably my friend Quacker 😎
But i won't do it. The reality here is that we're talking about dynamically poor SUVS let's face it. Both ones.XC60 and XC90. I mean in terms of giving full use of those numbers, torque power, transferred dynamically to the drive experience itself. They're clumsy. So what for will i add more power if dynamically speaking i don't take it back from the road?
2 tons SUVS mainly competent on the road and that's it.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Feb 13th, 2019 at 02:21.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 08:45   #59
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
I have got Polestar on my XC90. The power output hardly changes but the gearbox map does.
Do you still see a difference if you knock the gearbox into Sport mode, or is a like a new tune for both?
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 09:02   #60
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I wish the UK would go fully metric.
I couldn't agree more.