Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stereo probs

Views : 616

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2019, 10:17   #1
brownieintas

Default Stereo probs

Hi I'm looking to seek some clarity, I have bought from auction a 2009 XC90 D5 exc, an import from the UK to Oz, nice car but no stereo, my question is, the stereo will fire up but when you select either cd,usb aux the screen goes blank, but you can still see the settings menu, i have found out from the previous owners it had water into the left foot well from not cleaning the leaves off the windscreen, i have managed to get a report from Volvo in Sydney, done by the previous owners that say's repair to audio unit with P/N 36050927 & 30775887, googling these it came back with CD player and reload, Question, if the CD player stops working does that shut down all the other inputs? like bluetooth parrot, aux, usb, satnav, parking sensors, Do i just replace the CD player and all will be good?
brownieintas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 11:36   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieintas View Post
Hi I'm looking to seek some clarity, I have bought from auction a 2009 XC90 D5 exc, an import from the UK to Oz, nice car but no stereo, my question is, the stereo will fire up but when you select either cd,usb aux the screen goes blank, but you can still see the settings menu, i have found out from the previous owners it had water into the left foot well from not cleaning the leaves off the windscreen, i have managed to get a report from Volvo in Sydney, done by the previous owners that say's repair to audio unit with P/N 36050927 & 30775887, googling these it came back with CD player and reload, Question, if the CD player stops working does that shut down all the other inputs? like bluetooth parrot, aux, usb, satnav, parking sensors, Do i just replace the CD player and all will be good?
I also have a MY2009 D5 XC90, and I am an electronics engineer so I understand these systems quite well

The 2009 XC90 uses a MOST fiber bus to transport audio and control signals and data signals around the vehicle.

It works like this:

The display and keyboard (ICM) connects to the vehicle CAN bus to get vehicle data (ignition status, speed, gear selector, park sensor status, etc)
The display and keyboard (ICM) connect to the radio/CD player/change via fiber, the fiber then transports the audio and control signals (bass, treble, balance, fader etc) to the amplifier (under the right hand front seat). The amplifier produces the analog audio for the speakers.
All vehicle audio (radio, cd changer, usb player, nav, telephone, parking beepers) travel over the fiber between the various devices and to the amplifier. All audio goes from the amplifier to the speakers as analog audio

The fiber bus is uni-directional. The optical frequency is visible red, so you can see a red light on the transmitting fiber, if you unplug it,

Any break in the fiber bus kills the ring and the audio system shuts down - but with different symptoms to what you describe, so it doesn't sound like a fiber ring break.

Any failure of the ICM (keypad and display) will result in inability to control the system and the system can shut down (depending on failure)

A history of water in the footwell means there is a risk of water damage to the amplifier: remove and inspect. Any amplifier damage will impact all audio sources.

The fact that the screen goes blank when selecting a source device might be an indication that the source device is faulty. But you indicate that the radio was replaced.
However, test the other audio sources: nav, telephone, parking sensors.
Rear parking sensors sound through the rear passenger side door speaker, and front through the front passenger side door speaker.
Rear parking sensors was standard fitment, front parking sensors were optional.
So use the rear parking sensors to confirm that amplifier is OK on at least the rear passenger side audio channel.

If you have nav, get the nav to output voice instructions (change the language to get a voice playback, or start guiding). Voice instructions come out the front speakers, louder on the driver's side. This will confirm audio function of the front speakers.

Likewise with telephone, it comes out the front speakers.

All of the above requires no tools.

If you have any intention of working on your car yourself, then invest in a copy of VIDA and DICE, which will allow you to properly diagnose and test all the components and localise where the problem is located. Note that audio component serial numbers are stored in the ICM, and, according to VIDA, any audio component with a non-registered serial number will cause the system to shut down. This is for anti-theft protection. But it also stops you using second hand parts. In the US, users report that some devices can be replaced (as long as identical part numbers) with 2nd hand units, and no impact to the audio system occurs. The serial number theft protection CAN be disabled, allowing any serial number to be present on the bus. Disabling requires a VIDA config update (called a software download) and is a deal-only job, which they may charge you for.
Once theft protection is disabled, you can start replacing audio system devices in your car with those from another vehicle. Always use identical part numbers, as the data bus addresses do change from year to year, and thus it can be a lottery using a device with a different part number.

The parts you say were replaced are:

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../36050927.html
1 CD CH 516945- High Performance Sound System. Premium Sound System. Without HD Radio. EXCH FOR 31260646, 31285831
This is the radio AM/FM tuner, and the single CD player, all in one unit. It's in the dash, where you insert a CD. It is very similar to the classical car radio, but all outputs go over the fiber MOST bus, and all control comes via fiber MOST bus.
Did they exchange the radio with an exchange device?
Or do some repair to it?

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../30775887.html
This is the reload of the IAM (keyboard and display) software:
Reloading the software is basically resetting everything back to standard settings, and it is what a dealer does when they don't know what to do or where the problem lies.
Think of it as the same as resetting an iPhone to factory settings.

Good luck!
And make sure you leverage whatever warranty you can....
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; May 27th, 2019 at 11:39.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 04:36   #3
brownieintas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
I also have a MY2009 D5 XC90, and I am an electronics engineer so I understand these systems quite well

The 2009 XC90 uses a MOST fiber bus to transport audio and control signals and data signals around the vehicle.

It works like this:

The display and keyboard (ICM) connects to the vehicle CAN bus to get vehicle data (ignition status, speed, gear selector, park sensor status, etc)
The display and keyboard (ICM) connect to the radio/CD player/change via fiber, the fiber then transports the audio and control signals (bass, treble, balance, fader etc) to the amplifier (under the right hand front seat). The amplifier produces the analog audio for the speakers.
All vehicle audio (radio, cd changer, usb player, nav, telephone, parking beepers) travel over the fiber between the various devices and to the amplifier. All audio goes from the amplifier to the speakers as analog audio

The fiber bus is uni-directional. The optical frequency is visible red, so you can see a red light on the transmitting fiber, if you unplug it,

Any break in the fiber bus kills the ring and the audio system shuts down - but with different symptoms to what you describe, so it doesn't sound like a fiber ring break.

Any failure of the ICM (keypad and display) will result in inability to control the system and the system can shut down (depending on failure)

A history of water in the footwell means there is a risk of water damage to the amplifier: remove and inspect. Any amplifier damage will impact all audio sources.

The fact that the screen goes blank when selecting a source device might be an indication that the source device is faulty. But you indicate that the radio was replaced.
However, test the other audio sources: nav, telephone, parking sensors.
Rear parking sensors sound through the rear passenger side door speaker, and front through the front passenger side door speaker.
Rear parking sensors was standard fitment, front parking sensors were optional.
So use the rear parking sensors to confirm that amplifier is OK on at least the rear passenger side audio channel.

If you have nav, get the nav to output voice instructions (change the language to get a voice playback, or start guiding). Voice instructions come out the front speakers, louder on the driver's side. This will confirm audio function of the front speakers.

Likewise with telephone, it comes out the front speakers.

All of the above requires no tools.

If you have any intention of working on your car yourself, then invest in a copy of VIDA and DICE, which will allow you to properly diagnose and test all the components and localise where the problem is located. Note that audio component serial numbers are stored in the ICM, and, according to VIDA, any audio component with a non-registered serial number will cause the system to shut down. This is for anti-theft protection. But it also stops you using second hand parts. In the US, users report that some devices can be replaced (as long as identical part numbers) with 2nd hand units, and no impact to the audio system occurs. The serial number theft protection CAN be disabled, allowing any serial number to be present on the bus. Disabling requires a VIDA config update (called a software download) and is a deal-only job, which they may charge you for.
Once theft protection is disabled, you can start replacing audio system devices in your car with those from another vehicle. Always use identical part numbers, as the data bus addresses do change from year to year, and thus it can be a lottery using a device with a different part number.

The parts you say were replaced are:

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../36050927.html
1 CD CH 516945- High Performance Sound System. Premium Sound System. Without HD Radio. EXCH FOR 31260646, 31285831
This is the radio AM/FM tuner, and the single CD player, all in one unit. It's in the dash, where you insert a CD. It is very similar to the classical car radio, but all outputs go over the fiber MOST bus, and all control comes via fiber MOST bus.
Did they exchange the radio with an exchange device?
Or do some repair to it?

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p.../30775887.html
This is the reload of the IAM (keyboard and display) software:
Reloading the software is basically resetting everything back to standard settings, and it is what a dealer does when they don't know what to do or where the problem lies.
Think of it as the same as resetting an iPhone to factory settings.

Good luck!
And make sure you leverage whatever warranty you can....
Thankyou for this reply, very helpful, that parts that i listed were the parts that Volvo said need to be replaced, and i haven't done that yet, i was thrown by the fact that it has all shut down. it was like this when i purchased it, it was not listed in the auction notes, i have purchased the car from photo's, i think i'm bit too trusting, the parts that are not working are satnav, parking sensors, phone,CD, USB, AUX. The screen still turns on and can operate the settings, So i thought it may have been the amp, the amp itself looks in good condition, being on the opposite side to where the water had been located, Q) will all MOST fibre loops fit or does it need to be Volvo? I had spoken to a Volvo wreckers and they said they needed the numbers on the box behind the front panel not just the (36050927) and while we were talking he mention that most Volvo parts you can Google, so i took out the box behind the front panel and it ended up being the phone module, now if he had of said CD player i might of known, coz i had already had this out, to see if it needed a fuse replaced, but i'm learning as i go so all good,
I Live in Hobart in Tasmania so not a lot of Volvo part to choose from, It did throw me a little when he said $400+gst for a second hand CD player, which could have issue's, but now i see that it's an integral part to the whole car not just my ears, lol
I wonder what codes i will get when i put it back in now, seeing i had an air bag fault after last time, so after taking the phone module out and apart, i have now disconnected the battery but maybe too late, i also notice that the key fob does not work when you have all the front panel out? It's like you've removed it's brain so to speak, or is it i that needs the later.
Volvo Hobart have quoted $1400 and $110 plus labour, that's why i was looking second hand
my CD player is 1CD28U (p) 31340055 it also has a 0905 would this be a build date for a 2009 model car?

Regards,

Brownieintas
Old May 28th, 2019, 05:28   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I think at this stage your next step is to secure a copy of VIDA and DICE

It will save you a huge amount of time and effort in diagnosing this fault and on working on your car.
Contact cheshired5 on this forrum
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/member.php?u=128312

Send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you some other useful data
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; May 28th, 2019 at 07:26.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2019, 06:37   #5
brownieintas

Default Stereo probs

Quote:
I think at this stage your next step is sot secure a copy of VIDA and DICE

It will save you a huge amount of time and effort in diagnosing this fault and on working on your car.
Contact cheshired5 on this forrum
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/member.php?u=128312

Send me a PM with your email address, I'll send you some other useful data
tried pm got to have 30posts?

Last edited by Roger Jennings; May 30th, 2019 at 10:07. Reason: Email deleted
Old May 28th, 2019, 07:26   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieintas View Post
tried pm got to have 30posts?
If I where you I would delete your email address in your post immediately. (I have noted the address)

You open yourself up to spam attacks by publishing your email address on an open internet forum, visible to the entire world
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2019, 02:13   #7
brownieintas

oki doki , Cheers
Old May 30th, 2019, 02:39   #8
brownieintas

Quote:
If I where you I would delete your email address in your post immediately. (I have noted the address)

You open yourself up to spam attacks by publishing your email address on an open internet forum, visible to the entire world
no idea how to get it off now
Old May 30th, 2019, 06:49   #9
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Try the red triangle below the post to contact a member of admin to get it removed.

Also
Might be useful
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=99800

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post: