Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hissing Noise

Views : 3594

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 22:40   #1
neil p gaffney

Unhappy Hissing Noise

Hi, I posted a message on the general site and nobody came back with a suggestion. Maybe the T5 owners might be able to help. I have a 2003 S60 T5 in pristine condition with 70,000 miles on the clock. In the last week I am getting a hissing noise when I press the brake pedal or let it go, like wise when I let go the accelerator? There is no difference in the braking, it still performs 100% as new. Please somebody tell me it isn't a knackered brake servo? I believe it is savage expensive to replace. I've had a grin on me since I bought the car, but it will disappear very quickly if this is true.
neil p gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 22:58   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

there is always a hissing noise from the servo when pressing the brake as the air goes in through the pedal push rod area but it is normaly very quiet .There is a foam air silencing/filter material inside the rubber boot where the pedal push rod goes through , but it does seem you will need a new sevo to cure from my experience with this noise :-(
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 23:00   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Registers is not the place for Technical questions. Have asked it be moved..
Your other post was actually in the "Blogs"...

However, some more detail about what model of car you have would help.

Hissing in the dash may relate to the heating system as that uses vacuums to open and close the heater distributor box.
Do you have AirCon??

Luck in getting this resolved...
Welcome to the forums and enjoy your time here...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 23:16   #4
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Registers is not the place for Technical questions. Have asked it be moved..
Your other post was actually in the "Blogs"...

However, some more detail about what model of car you have would help.

Hissing in the dash may relate to the heating system as that uses vacuums to open and close the heater distributor box.
Do you have AirCon??

Luck in getting this resolved...
Welcome to the forums and enjoy your time here...

Des. . .
Vacuum for heater controls?

Since when?

Model of car clearly stated once again "" I have a 2003 S60 T5 in pristine condition""

15th Pint Des or spontaneous postwhoring?

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work

Last edited by s60ben; Feb 16th, 2008 at 23:19.
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 02:42   #5
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I can only assume Mr Ben has posted some derogatory comment but if you look at the below photo - top right hand part - you will see vacuum tubes to the heater distribution box.

If your hissing is definitely coming from the dash area then it may be (as already mentioned) a source of your hissing.
Tubes broken or removed or displaced will hiss.
But then, how the heater (and heater distribution box) works in your S60 could well be different to how it works in my 940 or V90.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 03:21   #6
IC
S60R/V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil p gaffney View Post
Hi, I posted a message on the general site and nobody came back with a suggestion. Maybe the T5 owners might be able to help. I have a 2003 S60 T5 in pristine condition with 70,000 miles on the clock. In the last week I am getting a hissing noise when I press the brake pedal or let it go, like wise when I let go the accelerator? There is no difference in the braking, it still performs 100% as new. Please somebody tell me it isn't a knackered brake servo? I believe it is savage expensive to replace. I've had a grin on me since I bought the car, but it will disappear very quickly if this is true.
Hi, the T5-R register is specifically for owners to register the details of their cars. Please do not post technical questions in the register as it defeats the purpose of the register - the technical forums are the place to post technical questions. I have moved your post to the S60 technical forum.

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

Last edited by IC; Feb 17th, 2008 at 03:27.
IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:38   #7
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

I can only assume Mr Ben has posted some derogatory comment but if you look at the below photo - top right hand part - you will see vacuum tubes to the heater distribution box.

If your hissing is definitely coming from the dash area then it may be (as already mentioned) a source of your hissing.
Tubes broken or removed or displaced will hiss.
But then, how the heater (and heater distribution box) works in your S60 could well be different to how it works in my 940 or V90.

Des. . .
Not derogatory Des, but it would appear you couldn't even be bothered to read the original post where he clearly stated he had an S60. Now you were either drunk or just didnt read it.

I'm also sorry, but I fail to see the relevance of comparing the heater distribution box in an old V90/900 to an S60, (even if you do have a USB cable in the way) It's like comparing a ZX spectrum to a current PC system, of little use, and likely to confuse the hell out of a new member once again.

Maybe it's just me, but I just find it pointless, misleading and bl**dy irritating, and it's just posting for the sake of it, ie postwhoring.

Anyway, back to a valid helpful post which Clan had already started on:

It sounds suspiciously like new servo time Clan may be able to confirm but IIRC it's about 4 hours labour with a dealer as there is a fair amount of dismantling.

The only confusing point is the whistling occurring from the accellerator pedal also, I wonder if your boots have become misplaced/split hence allowing you to hear the noise.

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work

Last edited by s60ben; Feb 17th, 2008 at 10:47.
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:47   #8
John_C
Allons-y!

Neil, if you do a search in the S60/V70 forum for "brake hiss" you'll find some threads which could be useful, you can compare them to the noise you are getting and go from there. As Clan says though they all seem to suggest a new brake servo is the most likely result.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:55   #9
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s60ben View Post
I'm also sorry, but I fail to see the relevance of comparing the heater distribution box in an old V90/900 to an S60
Thank gawd for that, I thought it was just me that couldn't figure out why I was looking at parts of an older car when someone was asking about a modern S60.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 13:51   #10
kdst5

I to have this hissing coming from the brake servo. I have never actually worked out where in the servo it comes from. Some suggest that a diaphragm is broken but I am not so sure.

When I start off in the morning there is no hissing, this only starts after about 15 minutes of driving. While pressing the brake pedal the hissing stops but starts again when the pedal is released, if you then press the pedal relay hard then the hissing will stop for a while. This to me seems more like case of the servo is coming apart and not the diaphragm.

I am sure on one of the forums (not sure it was this one) that someone managed to fix it without a new servo, the problem is I can not find it any more.
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote