Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 T5 Estate.

Views : 2370

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 18:28   #11
coldfield

Question 300+bhp ???

[QUOTE=Mark480;430235]What has been done to make this 300 + BHP?

Maybe if you look at the 0/60 5.6 seconds and 0/100 12.4 seconds this might give you an indication as to the power behind the car, which may give an idea of what has been done to make this volvo 300+bhp.

How many ways are there to give a car 300+bhp ?
coldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 01:11   #12
st5ve
S60 R

[QUOTE=coldfield;446448]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark480 View Post
What has been done to make this 300 + BHP?

Maybe if you look at the 0/60 5.6 seconds and 0/100 12.4 seconds this might give you an indication as to the power behind the car, which may give an idea of what has been done to make this volvo 300+bhp.

How many ways are there to give a car 300+bhp ?
It is reasonable for members to ask what has been done to the car to make 300bhp, as the seller it would be assumed that you would know what modifications have been done to the car and what gains those modifications would make. Not many people would buy a car that has been modified and the spec or bhp cannot be verified, potential buyers will want to know what exactly has been done to the car to produce the claimed 300bhp.

What make of modified exhaust has been fitted?
Does it have a 3inch down pipe and sport cat?
What springs have been fitted to the car to get the claimed 30mm lowered?
Are the shocks adjustable? What type of Koni shocks?
Dump valve, whats the difference between boy racer and non boy racer? What make and model of dump valve is fitted.
What make and size of racing tyres are fitted also how much tread is left?
Have the brakes been modified to cope with the added performance?
Is the turbo standard, hybrid or other? If it has a non standard turbo has it been custom remapped?
Are the fuel injectors standard?
Do you have a print out of a rolling road test to back up 300bhp claim?

When was the vpc done?
When was the cam belt and tensioner last done?
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 11:44   #13
coldfield

Not in any way am i saying that it is unreasonable for members to ask questions about a car being sold.

The fact is, i havent a clue what mods have been done, and i was simply trying to put across the speed and performance of the car thinking that it may help someone to maybe narrow it down as to what has actually been done.

Have been trying to contact the bloke i got the car from... No joy!

I have fitted the car with Original Volvo brakes and disks alround.
I have fitted the car with a new rear Volvo Caliper.
I have fitted the car with a new volvo driver side Gaitor.
I have fitted the car with new Volvo hand brake shoes.

Cam Belt done 12000 miles ago, according to paperwork.
All the springs and shocks are coloured Yellow??

Will take a look today to see if i can find out more about the mods....
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 14:44   #14
angusvolvo

Smile Power Claims

Any increased (over standard) power claims should be accompanied by a reputable dyno output graph scan to prove.

It should be noted that cars "lose" horses as they get older.

Quite often mapping / chipping simply replaces those horses that may have 'escaped' - therefore making your car feel 'faster'.

300bhp is a tricky figure to reach with out some significant work beyond simply a 'chip'.

Cheers
angusvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 00:12   #15
coldfield

Have been able to contact the guy i purchased the Volvo from.

Asked him to give me as much info on the Mods as he can.

Waiting for an email reply from him.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 16:50   #16
coldfield

Thumbs up V70 T5 Mods ????????

Got an email today from the guy i purchased the car from.

He's telling me that a friend of his from university spent time under the bonnet adjusting the Boost, and thinks he fitted somthing to adjust the boost ???
The car has Koni shocks that are adjustable, he has fitted a new air filter that is not a standard one, have taken a look at the filter but there is know indication as too which filter it is! A strut brace has been fitted to the front of the car.
The car has a very distinctive sound on start up and when driving around.
There are firelli tyres on the front and kumho on rear, 16inch.
When reaching a certain speed on gear change there is a very slight noise, all i can compare it too is a whoosh noise.

He is saying that most of the mods were done by the guy who HE purchased the car from.
Have asked him to try and contact the guy who had the car before him so i can get a better idea as too what has been done...I WONT HOLD MY BREATH!!

Anyways.....doing my best to find out about the mods, as you can see i am no expert on the subject.

I live in North London, maybe there is somebody on this site local to me that i can take the car too so they can take a look and give me their opinion.

Oh yeh, he said that he has NO proof of any mods done!!!

All i know is, the car is extremly fast in all gears especially 3rd.
Like i said in previous posts, i have owned the 850R (standard) i thought that was fast, this one would leave it standing
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 01:17   #17
Juzzaman

Without any proof of BHP i wouldnt go trying to sell anything, not even a lawn mower.

AND i wouldnt buy without any proof of mods and dyno's...

If the guy you bought it off claimed 300bhp, you wanna know how he's come to that figure.

Seems like you've been given a hard time on this thread, but your wanting very big money for a car that has no proof of any mods apart from maybe a forced induction filter. No disrespect mate but i wouldnt buy a car for that money without paperwork!!

Saying that, my girls S60 had receipt for DAM RICA remapp and bloody volvo has overridden it with they "UPGRADE"

HAMISH WHERE ARE YOU!!!

Juzzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 20:02   #18
coldfield

Smile V70.

Dont worry about me Juzzaman.....Got broad shoulders!!!

I can see where your coming from though. To tell the truth i have spent so much money on her with all new brakes, disks, calipers, gaitors, all oil changes, service, i might just end up keeping her....She runs sweet, with no issues at all, done round a trip from London to Birmingham then onto South Wales then back again.....over the last few days..nearly 700 miles without any problems, apart from the petrol bill !!

The only reason i wanted to sell was to get an AUTO....Driving around London all day in a manual car does my bloody head in...stop start stop start...

Thanks to all for there opinions.