Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2000 V70 Starting Problem

Views : 28042

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 17:23   #11
pillapow
05 V70 T5 G-tronic

Have left the battery off for a few hours and have just tried again to start the car, It is doing nothing now, It turns over but nothing, not even the half a second running then cutting out, Its just turning over, Anybody? Help!

Volvos are great cars, sometimes.
pillapow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 21:28   #12
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

On the phase 2 cars the unit round the lock barrel is different from the earlier cars.

Not too expensive to replace.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 22:07   #13
pillapow
05 V70 T5 G-tronic

Im going to try the flash code reader method tomorrow that JOD T5 has posted up, see if there are any codes stored, Can anybody suggest why it would have done this? It started fine this morning, It ran for approx 40 seconds then cut out and gave check alarm system and immobiliser fault, consult user manual. Have flattened two batterys on it but no joy.

Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:21   #14
thefurby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jravinics View Post
Chris,

I sometimes cannot get the key out.

jim
I had this when i first got my v70 and it drove me mad, i was worried about driving anywhere and not getting the key out and then having to leave teh car free for the taking.

With mine it was nothing to do with the key or the ignitition barrel it was the auto gear stick button. I noticed it was stuck in, so i teased it out and the key came out. I am now careful with the button on the gearstick to ensure it pops out again when i park and the key comes out evreytime now.
thefurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 20:33   #15
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillapow View Post
Im going to try the flash code reader method tomorrow that JOD T5 has posted up, see if there are any codes stored, Can anybody suggest why it would have done this? It started fine this morning, It ran for approx 40 seconds then cut out and gave check alarm system and immobiliser fault, consult user manual. Have flattened two batterys on it but no joy.
Flash code reader will not work on a phase two 2000> car.
Your best option is to replace the antenna ring module.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 09:38   #16
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

Good morning to all,Can anyone tell me if the imobiliser antenna ring should be lit all round its outer ring,i have just noticed only half the circumference of mine is lit.On reflection the bulb is on that side,so its probably normal,just need confimation.thanks.

Last edited by Toplights; Nov 5th, 2009 at 09:43. Reason: usual.
Toplights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 12:53   #17
pillapow
05 V70 T5 G-tronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
Flash code reader will not work on a phase two 2000> car.
Your best option is to replace the antenna ring module.
Well, I have just bought an obd2 reader and the car isnt giving any fault codes out, If the antenna ring is faulty would it not give a fault code? Same for the key, if it has lost its code somehow...

Old Nov 5th, 2009, 17:30   #18
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

"Message displayed was "service alarm system" & "Immobiliser fault" "

An OBDII code reader won't read codes relating to the immobilizer and alarm systems.

Your options are:

Take it or call the dealer to come and read the fault codes.

Buy a PPC code reader which will read the codes from the immobilizer and alarm systems.

Take a punt and replace the antenna module.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 14:30   #19
pillapow
05 V70 T5 G-tronic

Turns out there was no petrol in the tank and my fuel gauge was giving a faulty reading. What a no-brainer. !!! But why would it throw up immobiliser and alarm system messages??
All running now, Nearly bought a new antenna ring for £30, Before i did i removed the pipes from the filter underneath the car and primed the system, few little drops came out, Cannister of juice later and happy days.

Last edited by pillapow; Nov 6th, 2009 at 14:33.
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 18:05   #20
V70David

Default Immobiliser Nightmare......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
I've been through this with my '99 2.4T

The problem was a poor connection on the immobilizer anntena ring, this is round the ignition lock barrel.

You can gain access to it by removing the lower cover from the steering column.

The resistance of the coil should be 5 ohms +/- 10%

Check the coil resistance and the illimination lamp for poor contact.

Just removing the conection cleaning it and replacing it should do it.

Be careful not to damage the orange wiring to the air bag.
Chris this is brilliant advice, apologies for being dense, but having tested the circuits in the antenna ring, both are showing the same reading - 1......

When plugged in the light works, but does this mean the ring is dead or not? I would have assumed no circuit would be a fault, or is too low resistance equally bad?

My situation with my lovely 2000 V70t5 is following some intermittent starting problems, a couple of weeks ago when getting petrol it started and then stopped after two seconds, and I tried a couple of times and it started and ran and no problem since, until today......

Same thing, started, ran for 2 seconds, stopped, hasn't started since, despite disconnecting the terminals of the antenna ring and plugging back in again. Can hear the fuel pump running.....and when I stop turning the engine over the ETS light shows.....

Do I need to get a new antenna ring, if so, where from, please?

Is there anything else I need to know? Should I disconnect the battery for a while.....? Could it be no fuel, although both guage and the miles I have done so not?

Thanks very much indeed for your help :-)

Cheers
V70David is offline   Reply With Quote