Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v50 2.0d 2010 diesel in oil

Views : 3895

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2020, 16:43   #11
Gautier
Gautier

Question V50 2L 8liters oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdc View Post
You're perfectly correct about the injector scenario. My car always started easily and didn't smoke - I think I posted somewhere I wasn't even sure what side the exhaust was on because I never ever saw anything (emissions) in the mirror, so how could it be injectors? Other than the rising oil level, there wasn't a single injector problem symptom! My memory is a bit hazy now about the exact sequence of events but it went something like this.... Sensors, ECU (or maybe it was the DPF sensor) swapped with another identical vehicle, oil analysis, forced regen x 2 (several months apart), new DPF (I was told afterwards that when the old DPF had been removed and inspected, it was actually found to be in very good condition), injectors sent for testing - 1 replaced (coil resistance? reading was a bit different to the others but not worn otherwise), and finally, pump sent for testing, and it failed because it was leaking around the seal. It's a mechanical unit driven off the block and that's how the diesel was getting into the sump. This process dragged on for nearly a year with the car spending about a quarter of the year shared between two different Volvo dealers. All this stuff was eventually covered by the extended warranties we have here, but I had to threaten to get nasty, and even that would probably not have been enough. Conveniently for them, the pump was finally diagnosed after the warranty had expired. Fortunately I kept meticulous records, copies of every invoice, even emails. I asked for a copy of the oil analysis and the test results for the injectors and the pump. I made notes of phone conversations, dates, times, km travelled between events (error messages) etc etc. Then after a meeting with one of the dealer principals, I was given contact details for someone very high up in SA Volvo group. That, combined with my records did the trick. Getting back to the pump, this problem developed over quite a long period of time. Because oil dilution by diesel is so common (to a greater or lesser extent) in DPF fitted cars (not just Volvo), all the usual suspects were blamed first. I too was initially convinced that the problem had to be DPF related. Oh, and lets not forget the EGR Then, to compound it all, it seems apart from one other guy on this forum, myself, and now the OP, well, we're the only 3 forum members on the planet to have had this problem with a 2.0D!

Hi Chris, hi everybody!

I just bought a V50 2Ld 136 (11/2007) 192 000km.

I drived back home from the seller and on the speedway this message appeard:
"motor, contact support"
1 time and desappared
2 time again
3rd time impossible to go faster than 120km/h (75m/h) and to use speed regulator, then I stoped the car few minutes and started again, then everything was good again.
I drived back home (250km) and sometime the message appeared again but the car was working correctly.

Next day I controled the oil level, it was 3 or 4 cm over the max!!!
I remooved 8 liters, and put it back to the right level.
(I'm sure that the seller put 5,5L the last time he change his oil)

I went to the garage, plug the car, 1 error: DPF
But the DPF has just been change 2 months ago... it's new.
(The seller had the same message witch desappered changing the DPF.)

The car don't smoke.

I drived again (only) 30km the oil level didn't mooved (yet).

The message appear when I overpass or accelerate fast around 2700/3000rpm.

Seems to be similar with the problem you had, what do you think about it?

Just a pump joint?

Thank you for reading my (bad) english until here and for your answers!
Gautier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 08:06   #12
Matej1874

Hi all,
there's a problem with increased oil in my V50 2.0d too. I had to remove 1 liter yesterday and the dip stick now shows it's just below the max arrow.

My regular service was around end of March this year and two months later I got the yellow "i" with engine system service required message. I stopped at my repair shop briefly just to have them check the codes and they didn't show anything specific or wrong with the car. I don't remember the codes, but they were not alarming. Later at home I noticed the oil level was to high.

I don't use this car every day or sometimes not even every week because I work from home and we have a second car. I live outside of town, getting there involves highway driving and I also avoid short trips as much as possible. I did around 4300 miles since getting this car 5 months ago and I would say about half of these were on highway, so my dpf is ok and I didn't have problems with it so far. Car is starting fine, no smoke, drives great.

My mechanic says excess oil is probably because of many failed dpf regens, but is it really? Oil level increased by 2 liters in 2 months, this seems a lot, and also if dpf was not regenerating properly wouldn't it be clogged by now?

After seeing this thread I now suspect the hp fuel pump is more likely the problem? What do you think?

Last edited by Matej1874; Jun 8th, 2022 at 08:10.
Matej1874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 19:00   #13
Willber G
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej1874 View Post
Hi all,
there's a problem with increased oil in my V50 2.0d too. I had to remove 1 liter yesterday and the dip stick now shows it's just below the max arrow.
Have you seen this?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325837
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 08:21   #14
Matej1874

Thank you Wilber G, this is great info.
Matej1874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 20:47   #15
Willber G
Upstanding Member

No problem, good luck with the fix.