Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90: Axle Ping, CV join, or Transmission?

Views : 7154

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2016, 21:38   #11
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceLA View Post
Swiss XC90, did the axle bolts work? I have this same problem. (thanks for the video)
Embassed to say that I haven't replaced them yet, and as my annual service is due in the next month, I might just tell the Volvo service guys to fit new ones and let them get their hands dirty.

Mine currently have a beautiful shiny coat of copper grease which looks so lovely and clean I didn't want to disturb it
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 13:49   #12
RichHodge

Default may help?

Just wanted to help all the people who have had issues with the transmission or weird vibration noises from under the car. I have an XC90 2010. I bought it 6 months ago from a dealer and took out an extended 3 year warranty ( thank god). The car had very low mileage 35,000. Been driven by an old chap to the shops and back.

Anyway about 4 months ago I noticed a weird noise when I got to 5th Gear at 2200 revs. It sounded like a weird vibration noise almost like an exhaust sound/ grating noise. Almost like the noise when you have a hole in your exhaust. My first thought was the catalytic converter going. I took it into the dealer and they said it was an engine mounting and same thing again. At same time the AWD light came up saying not working. It went back in and as the car had been sitting for a few year not doing anything the filters in the Haldex Pump had clogged up.

Finally to car in last week and they had it for a week and have diagnosed the problem as being the drive shaft dampers worn out causing the drive shaft to oscillate at certain revs or between gears. They have just fitted a new drive shaft and dampers kit and it seems to be fixed. Total cost for new prop/ drive shaft plus labour about £600. Warranty covered the lot and now the car seems really responsive. Hopefully that will be the end of it. Hope that helps

Richard
RichHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 14:43   #13
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Default Axle Ping Gone

So today was annual service day for my XC90

As well as air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter, oil filter, oil change, brake fluid change and new front brake pads (only 3mm left!), the mechanic also greased the front drive shaft splines to reduce the click-clack.

Won't last forever they said, but preferrable to glueing.
The axle ping is now gone.

And the front right brake squeek when going slow and turning left has also gone, thanks to new pads.

Silence...

Mr Mech also placed some free-of-charge oil and grease stains on my engine cover, air filter cover, various spots in the engine bay and on my front wheels.
I guess that was proof to me that he worked on the car.
Time for me to clean the engine bay before the stains attract road grime.
.....Done.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 20:36   #14
sdenner

In case it returns, the bolts are only £4 each from the dealer and it takes a few minutes each side to change. You need a torque wrench though to get correct torque.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 08:44   #15
aslan
From far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post

As well as air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter, oil filter, oil change, brake fluid change and new front brake pads (only 3mm left!), the mechanic also greased the front drive shaft splines to reduce the click-clack.

Won't last forever they said, but preferrable to glueing.
The axle ping is now gone.

And the front right brake squeek when going slow and turning left has also gone, thanks to new pads.

Silence...

Mr Mech also placed some free-of-charge oil and grease stains on my engine cover, air filter cover, various spots in the engine bay and on my front wheels.
I guess that was proof to me that he worked on the car.
Time for me to clean the engine bay before the stains attract road grime.
.....Done.
Hi SwissXC90

How's your axle 'ping' so far? Has it come back? Did you ever get around to replacing the bolt?

I think I'm having the same issue at 230k km. Driving me insane. Driving like a grandma seems to dampen it.

And with the grease used, was it normal axle grease? Or CV grease?

I do have a pair of new bolts with the big cone rubber washers, but I've read the thread may be short and not suitable. I need to compare the old one with these new ones. I bought these rubber + bolts years ago for the S80 but didn't use it. Not sure if it's compatible.
B230E 740 1989 - sold
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 08:59   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I had axle ping on mine, I just tightened the bold up about 1/5th of a turn and it cleared it for good.

You need to be careful not to over tighten it though as it's a stretch bolt and if it sheers and leaves half of itself in the CV joint - that will be a pain to drill out and re-tap.

I know the above is not the correct way to do it but it did work out for me.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 11:02   #17
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Hi aslan,

After the dealer workshop greased the bolts with some thick grease, the axle ping disappeared for good and has never come back.
It's been about 3.5 years now. No more ping.

No idea what grease the workshop used.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 14:48   #18
aslan
From far away

I'm planning to tackle this over the coming weekend, grease it up, new bolts and maybe some loctite as Clan described.

I have loosened and tightened the right side bolt a couple of times unfortunately - due to a recurring leak from the outer CV joint boot. And using the same bolt from factory. So probably not a good idea to try tighten it again, come to think of it, that bolt may be the offending side.

Going through my parts bin I came up with these

CV joint grease by Febi - should I use it or a generic brand of wheel bearing grease?

Original Volvo bolts with the rubber spacer. Looking up the part # for this I'm not sure if this would fit my XC90 (30714142)

My chassis is 4825XX

Any advice anyone?
B230E 740 1989 - sold
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 14:55   #19
aslan
From far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
the mechanic also greased the front drive shaft splines to reduce the click-clack.
Sorry to be picky. But reading back you mentioned the splines and in your recent post you said bolt. Which one exactly was greased?

If the driveshaft splines are supposed to be greased, I gather these splines below?

B230E 740 1989 - sold
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 12:35   #20
SwissXC90
Premier Member

They greased the splines

The idea is that the thick heavy grease on the splines fills the minute gaps between axle splines and the wheel hub. the is the movement of the spline inside the hub that causes the pinging noise.

If that photo is your car, you can see that the splines are bone dry. Adding grease to them stops the clicking sound when they move every so lightly.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:

Tags
axle ping, xc90