Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v50 2.0d 2010 diesel in oil

Views : 3911

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2016, 22:37   #1
Nickyfran

Default v50 2.0d 2010 diesel in oil

hi all, I have a problem with my v50 2.0d putting diesel into the sump, I have been thinking it was dpf although it had one at 75,000 it now has 118,000 and has recently had a dpf sensor. I have taken the sensor off and dried it out as there was some condensation. I changed the oil and filter tonight and took the car a run to try and regenerate the dpf, not sure if this worked. the car also seems to have a slight miss/hesitation mainly between 1 and 2 thousand revs so I'm wondering if the injectors are faulty, can these be removed and refitted with calibration? don't want to take them out for testing if I wont be able to get it running again.
Nickyfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 00:18   #2
paddyred
Master Member

Hi Nickyfran, what makes you think that its diesel in the oil? Its a rather rare issue to have diesel in the oil on the 2.0D as the injectors are external on this engine and not internal meaning the only way to get diesel from the injector into the engine (as far as I am aware) is to have diesel seeping past the pistons although this is extremely unlikely as it would have to happen with the engine off and you would notice excess whitish smoke when you start. The only other place that it is possible is the HP fuel pump seals failing and causing diesel to move through although I am not sure as to the exact structure of the pump on these engines so I wouldn't be able to say 100% that it could happen on the 2.0D
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 08:18   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I've read about this before on the XC90 forum pertaining to the E4 185BHP D5 engine - the advice from the guru's is don't fill the engine oil to the "max" mark on the dipstick as the level can rise.

I too find that strange and non-sensical but it comes from very experienced members. The injectors are external on the D5 also.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 18:57   #4
Nickyfran

hi, it's definitely getting diesel in the oil, last weekend the car revved up by itself for a few seconds hitting the limiter, when we got it home and checked the oil level it was way over the maximum, we drained almost 9 litres out of it. had a look on here and dpf issues can cause similar. I took the car out last night after changing oil and filter, I topped up oil to 3/4 full, the run was approx 120 miles and when I checked the oil today its up to the max level so the problem must be bad and I now cant drive the car if its leaking so bad.
Nickyfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 21:10   #5
JulianT
Volvo V60 1.6D e

Perhaps one or more injectors are dumping 'lots' of fuel into the bores?
It's not something I have seen on this engine.
JulianT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 02:13   #6
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
Hi Nickyfran, what makes you think that its diesel in the oil? Its a rather rare issue to have diesel in the oil on the 2.0D as the injectors are external on this engine and not internal meaning the only way to get diesel from the injector into the engine (as far as I am aware) is to have diesel seeping past the pistons although this is extremely unlikely as it would have to happen with the engine off and you would notice excess whitish smoke when you start. The only other place that it is possible is the HP fuel pump seals failing and causing diesel to move through although I am not sure as to the exact structure of the pump on these engines so I wouldn't be able to say 100% that it could happen on the 2.0D
Yes, the pump can cause this on the 2.0D, it happened to me. It's very rare, and it was a hell of a job finally pinning it down but it's been 2 years now and no more problems. Search for threads under my name if you want to know what
I went through.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 15:23   #7
paddyred
Master Member

Well it looks like the answer is the fuel pump then. If the injectors where dumping so much fuel into the engine that it was filling up the engine with diesel you would have some serious running/starting issues. Looks like a fuel pump off job!
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 18:23   #8
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyred View Post
Well it looks like the answer is the fuel pump then. If the injectors where dumping so much fuel into the engine that it was filling up the engine with diesel you would have some serious running/starting issues. Looks like a fuel pump off job!
You're perfectly correct about the injector scenario. My car always started easily and didn't smoke - I think I posted somewhere I wasn't even sure what side the exhaust was on because I never ever saw anything (emissions) in the mirror, so how could it be injectors? Other than the rising oil level, there wasn't a single injector problem symptom! My memory is a bit hazy now about the exact sequence of events but it went something like this.... Sensors, ECU (or maybe it was the DPF sensor) swapped with another identical vehicle, oil analysis, forced regen x 2 (several months apart), new DPF (I was told afterwards that when the old DPF had been removed and inspected, it was actually found to be in very good condition), injectors sent for testing - 1 replaced (coil resistance? reading was a bit different to the others but not worn otherwise), and finally, pump sent for testing, and it failed because it was leaking around the seal. It's a mechanical unit driven off the block and that's how the diesel was getting into the sump. This process dragged on for nearly a year with the car spending about a quarter of the year shared between two different Volvo dealers. All this stuff was eventually covered by the extended warranties we have here, but I had to threaten to get nasty, and even that would probably not have been enough. Conveniently for them, the pump was finally diagnosed after the warranty had expired. Fortunately I kept meticulous records, copies of every invoice, even emails. I asked for a copy of the oil analysis and the test results for the injectors and the pump. I made notes of phone conversations, dates, times, km travelled between events (error messages) etc etc. Then after a meeting with one of the dealer principals, I was given contact details for someone very high up in SA Volvo group. That, combined with my records did the trick. Getting back to the pump, this problem developed over quite a long period of time. Because oil dilution by diesel is so common (to a greater or lesser extent) in DPF fitted cars (not just Volvo), all the usual suspects were blamed first. I too was initially convinced that the problem had to be DPF related. Oh, and lets not forget the EGR Then, to compound it all, it seems apart from one other guy on this forum, myself, and now the OP, well, we're the only 3 forum members on the planet to have had this problem with a 2.0D!
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 12:24   #9
msh

hi
Looks like the pump from what other people are saying. It does not look too hard to remove the pump and the sump is filling up so quickly there should be signs of the leak on the drive of the pump.
Mark
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 10:07   #10
raff2taff

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh View Post
hi
Looks like the pump from what other people are saying. It does not look too hard to remove the pump and the sump is filling up so quickly there should be signs of the leak on the drive of the pump.
Mark
@Nickyfran was it the pump seal? Diesel leaking directly into sump?
raff2taff is offline   Reply With Quote