Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do you have a 2007 D5 185bhp with more than 150k miles?

Views : 7436

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2017, 21:30   #11
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1131 View Post
As per the title, I'd be interested to hear if anyone as an '07 with the 185bhp diesel engine and more than 150k on the clock?

The reason I want to know is there are a few different threads at the moment of people with very high oil consumption and they all seem to be 2007 cars around the 150k mark. Mine included. I keep hearing that the engine is bullet proof but there are a lot of people in a similar position to me so it has me wondering if there is/was a problem with a specific batch of engines.

I'm probably going to have to either buy a new engine or trade my car in as I can't afford to add 2 litres of oil every 500 miles but I would like to know if I'm likely to experience the same issue with another XC90.

Love the car so likely to get another one but should I avoid that engine?

So, if you have an '07 D5 185bhp, how many miles does it have on it and does it burn any oil?
mine is a 2006 with 200k miles, I have already had the DPF cleaned professionally and did it myself also, makes a huge difference to the driving and fuel consumption, until it is filled up again.

burns more oil than yours as per my other threads

I just took off a catch can that I had inserted into the PCV lines and found almost no oil in it, so unless my new turbo, my last new cartridge are all leaking It must be through the EGR that the crud is being blown into the intakes.

I am close to taking the head off to see if the rings are the cause, after soaking the cylinders in ATF and Acetone I had the strangest compression results (cyl 1. 150,..3. 300 5. 150)

I knew the battery was low so I prioritised 1 3 5, one analysis of which is that much of my compression was provided by gunk on the piston edges which has now been melted off.....

it is soaking again and tomorrow night with a new battery and hot engine I should get a test comparable to my pre-treatment efforts.

BTW I drove an s6o d5 163 which was the best car I ever had, never burned oil, regularly 5o+ mpg, frequent 1500+ non stop journeys, it had a full volvo history when I bought it with 115k miles I put another 100k on it and never had a bad day with it (except when I boiled the atf)

I tend to think the 185 is a bad yoke.... made worse by poor maintenance and untested combinations of technology ...

Last edited by osullivant; May 11th, 2017 at 21:33.
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 07:28   #12
jamie1131

When you put the catch tank in the breather line did you reconnect the line to the inlet manifold? I'm planning on taking the pipe of the breather valve and blanking it off so crankcase cases/oil can't get into the inlet that way.
I'll then run a metre long piece of hose from the breather to a bottle somewhere in the engine bay.
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamie1131 For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2017, 09:15   #13
osullivant

Quote:
When you put the catch tank in the breather line did you reconnect the line to the inlet manifold? I'm planning on taking the pipe of the breather valve and blanking it off so crankcase cases/oil can't get into the inlet that way.
I'll then run a metre long piece of hose from the breather to a bottle somewhere in the engine bay.
my can was connected to the intake. I am losing so much oil that if this was a significant contributor I figured I'd catch a fair amount. in the can, iIn reality got almost none. certainly be interested in your outcome...
Old May 12th, 2017, 16:31   #14
jamie1131

Tried it this afternoon. Removed the breather hose at the breather assembly and blocked off the hose. Ran another hose from the breather assembly into plastic bottle and when for a drive. The car still chucked out blue smoke after an overrun.
I'm satisfied I've ruled out any breather issue.
Old May 12th, 2017, 16:53   #15
jamie1131

I've booked it into a main dealer. I called and spoke to one of their technicians who said it was sounding a lot like the turbo. His advice was that they would strip down the exhaust/inlet and get a look at the compressor wheel. After that the plan is for them to do a compression test and a cylinder leak down test.
Old May 12th, 2017, 17:42   #16
osullivant

Quote:
I've booked it into a main dealer. I called and spoke to one of their technicians who said it was sounding a lot like the turbo. His advice was that they would strip down the exhaust/inlet and get a look at the compressor wheel. After that the plan is for them to do a compression test and a cylinder leak down test.
Obviously the turbo is a possibility, but that is the advice I followed twice and whilst the original turbo was clearly kaput. The replacement cartridge functioned and looked fine when I took it off and I am pretty sure my new Volvo turbo is not blowing oil after 160 miles.

Another compression test scheduled after tea....
Old May 12th, 2017, 19:40   #17
jamie1131

I had a long conversation with the tech, I was quite clear I'm not interested in paying for a new turbo if it's not going to solve the problem. If that is what they reccomend I'll make certain I can have my money back if it doesn't fix the problem.
Interested to here the next set of compression test results.
Old May 12th, 2017, 21:58   #18
HiFlyer437

My garage can't find anything - and tell me the turbo seems fine. They seem to think it's just burning it and have suggested using thicker oil (10w40 was their advice, but seems an odd grade to me) and monitor the situation. DPF has been fine since last week's forced regen.
HiFlyer437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 22:37   #19
Faybo73

Hi. My 185 has 244k on it and hasn't missed a beat. Best thing I ever did was to get it terracleaned at 200k. Very impressed by results. I have never had to top up the oil between annual mot/oil service of which I change the air filter at the same time. Just this week I have had a Mobil carbon cleaner come and give it a treatment to keep on top of any soot/carbon build up. Not quite as good as terraclean as injectors not touched but still well worth it.
Faybo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:46   #20
Neilr22

I have a V70 D5 with 187k on the clock. I've had her for almost a year, putting 15k on and oil consumption is negligible.
However, she smokes like a trooper on acceleration - not just giving her the beans but gentle power increase up a hill - and has recently started to run rough on start up for a few seconds. I suspect glow plugs may be on the way out as once warm, she's sweet as a nut.
Meanwhile all is not well underneath as the miles have taken their toll on running gear. I'm looking at new bushes for the rear trailing arms and front suspension too.
Neilr22 is offline   Reply With Quote