Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Pressure Fault Codes

Views : 2806

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2019, 16:53   #1
DeanH

Default Fuel Pressure Fault Codes

I've had a couple of instances of my E3 D5 going into limp mode recently for no apparent reason. Looking on VIDA I get the following fault codes:
  • ECM-2501 Fuel pressure - Pressure too high
  • ECM-2502 Fuel pressure - Pressure too high
  • ECM-2504 Fuel pressure - Pressure too high
  • ECM-2800 Fuel pressure control valve - Signal too low

Is the last code the clue as to what is causing all four to appear? If so how do I test further to check?

I also have an ECM-6805 boos pressure code which is because of a split intercooler. Only mentioning on the off chance that it's relevant.
DeanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 17:00   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Click on each code individually, then click View Information at the bottom of the screen and the reasons for the codes and possible solutions will be shown.
There isn't one reason and solution.
You can also search codes in the Search tab of Vida.

Air related codes can link to fuel codes and vice versa or be completely unrelated so you just work through the possibilities.
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 17:33   #3
DeanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Click on each code individually, then click View Information at the bottom of the screen and the reasons for the codes and possible solutions will be shown.
There isn't one reason and solution.
You can also search codes in the Search tab of Vida.

Air related codes can link to fuel codes and vice versa or be completely unrelated so you just work through the possibilities.
I'll have a look with the laptop plugged in later. What I was getting at was whether the pressure control valve is at fault and causing the high pressure codes?

The fault only happens intermittently and clears with the engine being turned off. For example today it happened on the M62 with cruise control set at 70mph on (relatively) flat ground. Dipped the clutch, turned the engine off and back on and away we went...
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 18:00   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
What I was getting at was whether the pressure control valve is at fault and causing the high pressure codes?
A faulty valve is a possibility as is wiring and the ability for the correct signal to output so you have the choice of replacing the valve and hope that fixes the issue or you investigate the other possibilities.
Vida contains signal specifications to check for most of the engine management components.
If wiring is the cause, you'll waste your time and money replacing the valve but how you approach it is up to you.

I would say that the valve code is leading to the other fuel codes though.
Fix one and you'll likely fix the rest.
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 18:56   #5
DeanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
A faulty valve is a possibility as is wiring and the ability for the correct signal to output so you have the choice of replacing the valve and hope that fixes the issue or you investigate the other possibilities.
Vida contains signal specifications to check for most of the engine management components.
If wiring is the cause, you'll waste your time and money replacing the valve but how you approach it is up to you.

I would say that the valve code is leading to the other fuel codes though.
Fix one and you'll likely fix the rest.
Brilliant, thanks for that, I'll have a closer look with VIDA and come back.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 21:31   #6
DeanH

The fault hasn't happened since the original post until today

I replaced my intercooler over the weekend but left the under tray off. Went through a large puddle today and all of a sudden the engine is jerking and clacking again. Tried to cycle the ignition to clear the fault but no joy this time. Presumably this is as a connection/wire has got wet.

How do I go about checking the wiring further?
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 21:38   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
The fault hasn't happened since the original post until today

I replaced my intercooler over the weekend but left the under tray off. Went through a large puddle today and all of a sudden the engine is jerking and clacking again. Tried to cycle the ignition to clear the fault but no joy this time. Presumably this is as a connection/wire has got wet.

How do I go about checking the wiring further?
are you sure the engine hasn't sucked in water ?
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 21:55   #8
Anubisxc70
Master Member

If it was just a puddle and the engine behaved like that check your pipes th air intake is high in the front grill...if water got in..is sucking from somewhere else....
Anubisxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 22:20   #9
DeanH

I don't believe it's water being sucked in, I've also checked with VIDA and the fuel pressure codes have returned (ECM2501 ECM2502 & ECM2800).

I'm not talking a deep puddle coming up the grille, more of a large puddle which splashes a wave onto the pavement.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 09:52   #10
DeanH

Bumping the thread as this issue is finally happening more often so I might stand a chance of diagnosing it.

I will be getting a new fuel filter tomorrow and hope to be able to disconnect the return line and blow down it to rule out a blockage.

Having said that I'm leaning towards a fuel supply issue. Yesterday I had the passenger side up on the ramps and the fault occurred 6 or 7 times in one journey. Parked overnight and everything was fine this morning except for one instance after hard cornering. That jogged my memory and MOST instances are after a hard corner.

Could I have a saddle tank problem starving the engine of fuel (i.e. pumping air to the rail)? For reference the gauge shows half a tank currently.

Any tips on what to do to eliminate or test this theory?

Last edited by DeanH; Aug 25th, 2019 at 09:54.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanH For This Useful Post: