Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026483

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2020, 12:23   #801
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Okay Dave,

I agree about sticking with a 10 PSI cap if I can, this one claims to be 0.7 bar (about right):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CALORSTAT...MAAOSwIxVeZhAm

... it doesn't look like the right part at all, but the compatibility chart says it is okay.

This one looks like exactly the right part, and is rated at 75 kPa:

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/triscan-7234144.html

... I think this might be it, how about you?

Stay safe.
Either of those caps but i'd avoid the Lithuanian one, especially as his feedback is less than 100% with many non-deliveries! Others are late deliveries of wrong or damaged parts, not worth the hassle!

Good shout with the online car parts one, don't know why i haven't tried them!

As John says, the main advantage of the higher pressure cap would be at high altitude but you're not so i wouldn't go for the high pressure version and add stress to a 40 year old cooling system that it's never seen.

Thanks for the links, i'll be buying a couple in the not too distant future but not for a couple of weeks yet so no need to panic that i'm buying yours!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 13:47   #802
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Either of those caps but i'd avoid the Lithuanian one, especially as his feedback is less than 100% with many non-deliveries! Others are late deliveries of wrong or damaged parts, not worth the hassle!

Good shout with the online car parts one, don't know why i haven't tried them!

As John says, the main advantage of the higher pressure cap would be at high altitude but you're not so i wouldn't go for the high pressure version and add stress to a 40 year old cooling system that it's never seen.

Thanks for the links, i'll be buying a couple in the not too distant future but not for a couple of weeks yet so no need to panic that i'm buying yours!
I've ordered the online parts one Dave - cheap, but pricey shipping.

I had not realised the other one was Lithuanian, I think the chap had disguised the ad via his cousin's lock up garage somewhere in London.

I agree about the pressure rating - there are lots of 150kPa caps on the market, but I think the risk of damaging something on the Royal Barge would be too great; one has to remember that nearly all the parts are 40 years old.

Stay safe.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 14:11   #803
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It should be with you in a fe days from Germany Alan! I hadn't realised they were a German company until about 10 minutes ago and to be honesst, had confused them with autodoc.co.uk which judging from the address, isn't far away from onlinecarparts, both in Berlin!

Both charge £8.45 shipping to GB but only £6 odd to Germany up to order values of £140 and then it's free shipping.

Looking on autodoc, i've found the 1 bar (15 psi~ cap for both of my beasties so might order two of those instead soon. THey're grey caps.

If i'd realised the shipping was £OUCH i would have suggested we got together and ordered all the caps in one go and then sorted the delivery cost between us.

That aside, i think the LIthuanian one was about £12-13 so not much difference if you look at it that way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 15:05   #804
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Relax and enjoy your motor-car.

Regards, John.
... you are so right John!

I just popped out to Morrisons (1 mile away) to get some pizzas and burgers for Dan (that is what Dads are for - 15 year old boys eat so much) and came back the long way via the Geddington bypass, just because the RB is a nice car to drive. That big 'burp' this morn was all it needed to sort itself out, I was fretting about nothing at all.

Stay safe.

Last edited by Othen; Apr 27th, 2020 at 15:40. Reason: Grammar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 15:07   #805
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

If i'd realised the shipping was £OUCH i would have suggested we got together and ordered all the caps in one go and then sorted the delivery cost between us.
... yes, we should have thought of that, the postage would have probably cost the same for 3 as it did for one.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 19:48   #806
Othen
Premier Member

Default Broadband Failure!

The broadband has failed at the house, it is surprising how much we have come to rely on it (TV, house thermostat, CCTV, even the doorbell).

Dan has worked out how to connect his PC via his cell phone so he can finish his school work. Fortunately we have an iPad, so I can use that to get TalkTalk to fix it.

Stay safe.

Last edited by Othen; Apr 27th, 2020 at 21:28.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 20:05   #807
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The broadband has failed at the house, it is surprising how much we have come to reply on it (TV, house thermostat, CCTV, even the doorbell.

Dan has worked out how to connect his PC via his cell phone so he can finish his school work. Fortunately we have an iPad, so I can use that to get TalkTalk to fix it.

Stay safe.
Reading all of that has made me really glad i don't subscribe to the idea of using t'internet for everything.

Have you tried rebooting the router Alan? That's usually the first thing to try, second is can you use the landline to make normal phone calls on?

Old Apr 27th, 2020, 21:25   #808
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Reading all of that has made me really glad i don't subscribe to the idea of using t'internet for everything.

Have you tried rebooting the router Alan? That's usually the first thing to try, second is can you use the landline to make normal phone calls on?
Yes to both of those Dave. I’ve done everything I can this end. TalkTalk told me they were checking everything, then closed down at 7 o’clock, which was a bit irritating.

Ho hum, I’ll pursue TalkTalk again tomorrow morn.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 21:27   #809
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That black one is a rare beast indeed! I just hope they used the correct antifreeze and a new tensioner (or tensioner spring at least) when they changed the timing belt and water pump.
Black was usually special order only and normally only for government duties. Even rarer the fact that it's manual.

I don't think he's going to get £3k for that Vitesse or anywhere near it, certainly not at the moment.
There were no bids on that Vitesse Dave - which was hardly surprising.

Stay safe.
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 21:51   #810
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes to both of those Dave. I’ve done everything I can this end. TalkTalk told me they were checking everything, then closed down at 7 o’clock, which was a bit irritating.

Ho hum, I’ll pursue TalkTalk again tomorrow morn.
Poxy part-timers!

Seems you're not the only one though :

https://downdetector.co.uk/status/talktalk/

Hopefully it's back up and running soon for you!

Meanwhile if your PC uses Wi-Fi, you should be able to make your i-Pad a Wi-Fi Hotspot and connect to t'internet that way.

Quote:
There were no bids on that Vitesse Dave - which was hardly surprising.

Stay safe.
I didn't think there would be, i wasn't watching in my watch list, i left the listing on a tab in my browser for the last couple of days just to see. No bids on that 2-window ECU either............