Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Loud hum drone when reversing 1999 v70

Views : 597

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2020, 15:31   #1
dieselderv

Default Loud hum drone when reversing 1999 v70

Hi all I have a 1999 2.4 n/a petrol v70 ..
when I put it in reverse (manual) ,and go back there is a loud hum/drone .
sounds like a brake sticking kind of noise..
it's not the hand break ,as I've slackened it right of to eliminate that . Is it possible for the caliper to be sticking on due to rust (like the phase 2 were prone too)) if so is a strip down and clean/regrease an easy thing to do on them..or am I better of getting rebuilt ones if I can find them
dieselderv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 15:59   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

It could still be handbrake shoes chafing, there's a known fault where the linings come un-bonded from the metal shoe, can cause this and other problems, and backing off the adjustment won't solve it.

Only way to find out is to whip off the disks and have a look - you can check the rear calipers and pads while you're at it of course. Not a difficult job.

Well worth checking this, as if I'm right then the linings could become completely detached and cause jamming, binding or overheating even going forwards, and it'll fail an MoT brake test too - these handbrakes are a bit marginal even when in good nick.
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 17:24   #3
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

What Luxobarge said.It's brake related .
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 12:51   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Yep, we had this with our S70. The brake shoes in the rear drums (only used of course for the parking brake) started to fall apart. Then one morning the Mrs drove a few yards down the road, in a cloud of blue smoke from the burning rubber, with one rear wheel completely locked. Bizarrely, in reverse the car was fine and the wheel turned with no problem. The linings on one shoe had come adrift. New shoes sorted it. Thankfully no other damage was done, apart from the scoring in the tarmac of our driveway!

Also, don't be tempted to adjust the handbrake cables inside the car, using the screw in the centre console. That's used to set things up approximately, but the final adjustment must be done at each wheel. It's a fiddly job, and a pain, but if it isn't done properly then in time the hand brake will fail.

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Sep 20th, 2020 at 12:53.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 21:16   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

Surely you should adjust the shoes up at the wheels first and then the cables by the nut in the centre console? At least that's the way I did mine recently.How much are re-furbed calipers as opposed to new ones? I paid just shy of £70 for new ones recently and as it was something of a rush job I didn't take the time to compare prices,so even new ones may be available cheaper than those I bought.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 06:54   #6
dieselderv

Perfect thankyou everyone for the replies ,, I will have a look behind the discs when I have the chance..also on saabs it was practice to back of the adjustment on the hand brake before moving to the hub..
dieselderv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 14:02   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

There's a few threads on handbrake issues on here, but in short, as Luxobarge said delamination of the shoes is fairly common, they do very little other than hold the car once it's stopped so a lot of cars will still be on their original 20+ year old shoes. And as dippydog says when adjusting, like the Saab, fully slacken the cable adjuster at the lever before setting the shoes with the adjuster inside the drum/disc, then set the height and travel of the lever using the cable adjustment. I replaced the calipers, discs, pads and shoes on mine a couple of years ago as the shoes had delaminated and one caliper was sticking leaving the back of the disc severely rusted, unless you carry a lot in the boot regularly the load sensing valve in the brake system means the rear discs/pads don't do much work either.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote