Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hydraulic tappet snake oil

Views : 1753

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2020, 17:25   #1
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Default Hydraulic tappet snake oil

After much pulling of hair over the weekend, I have concluded that the noise that I am hearing in my T5 engine is mainly due to the tappets. The correct/best way to rectify that would be to pull the head and clean or replace them, however I really don't want to pull the head unless its for something far more serious!

So, with so many magic cure options out there, has anyone tried any of them, and if so what results did you get?

These seem to be the main contenders -

Wynn’s Hydraulic Valve Lifter Treatment
Liqui Moly Hydraulic Lifter Additive
Forte Top End Treatment
Rislone Engine Treatment & Cleaner
Marvel Mystery Oil

I've also heard of adding ATF to the oil - again, does this actually work?

Thanks
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 21:45   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

I've used the Wynns one before-although not on a Volvo,but don't see as that'd make a difference-and it was very good,I'd use it again if necessary.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 22:05   #3
V8XCV

Have you tried different grades & types of engine oils? My dad's 2.5NA was quite noisy so topped up with 2L of fully synthetic and magically went silent (probably being 2L down didn't help.....)

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 22:05   #4
sdg1970
Master Member

When I bought my 70R it had 152k on the clock and the oil hadn't been changed for 9500 miles (I don't care what Volvo say, it should never be more than 5k on these engines!).

The lifters were a little noisy, so I decided to put in thicker oil, with a high zinc content. That amounted to bog standard, 15/40 mineral (non-synthetic) and I change it every 2500 miles without fail. I don't hear a peep from the lifters...
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 14:49   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

They're all much of a muchness. I use Lucas Oil Stablizer (their Z) in a tired 1960s classic. Do about 4-5000 a year with it, and it works. Is it right, is it a good thing? Nope, and I'm sorry no snake-oil is going to make-up for lack of metal. But it solders on. Be clear, it's a bodge, these snake-oils all do the same thing in the same dubious way. What else did you want us to hear? I can say, Lucas Oil Stablizer does seen to stop oil wobbling, which is good.

Quote:
When I bought my 70R it had 152k on the clock and the oil hadn't been changed for 9500 miles (I don't care what Volvo say, it should never be more than 5k on these engines!).
Respectfully... utter rot: And here's proof... proper oil analysis at 28,000. You're wasting money. The PCV clogs for others reasons I've covered. Get your oil labb'ed and see for yourself. You'll spend less on a lab than you're spending on oil.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Blackstone-99-VOLVO.gif (81.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Oct 1st, 2020 at 15:03.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 15:16   #6
reggit
Premier Member

I used wynns in my old P2 D5 which was very tappety when I bought it.
Added the cleaner after an oil change and the tappet noise actually increased over a couple of thousand miles before going quiet. I suspect as the gunk was very slowly being flushed out of the tappet (sure it was just one on mine) increasing the gap before the oil way was cleared allowing it to perform properly again.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 15:23   #7
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Thanks everyone.

I've ordered some of the Wynn's stuff for now, just to see if it does make a (marginal) difference. I'm pretty sure my tappet noise is due to the POs lack of servicing - its pretty nasty in that engine, judging by what I can see through the oil filler The garage that I bought it off did an oil change before I got it, so I didn't get to see what it was like, but I suspect it was... well overdue!

Hopefully, some decent cleaning agents will break down the sludge and allow the tappets to operate correctly again. I'll report back after I've done a few 1000 miles.

Thanks again
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 16:46   #8
Ninjabob81

As a rule diesel specific engine oils carry a lot more detergent agents in them, might be worth doing an oil change with diesel oil, running it for a few thou then dropping it again.
Ninjabob81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 00:29   #9
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
They're all much of a muchness. I use Lucas Oil Stablizer (their Z) in a tired 1960s classic. Do about 4-5000 a year with it, and it works. Is it right, is it a good thing? Nope, and I'm sorry no snake-oil is going to make-up for lack of metal. But it solders on.

You're running on CNG as we all know and respect. Equally, it has still proven to be a huge white elephant, but has certainly taken off in the heavy commercial sector. I'll put my 2500 mile change interval against, with mineral running petrol against yours any day. But as I only do 2500 miles a year in that particular car, and am over 50, it's largely irrelevant..

Respectfully... utter rot: And here's proof... proper oil analysis at 28,000. You're wasting money. The PCV clogs for others reasons I've covered. Get your oil labb'ed and see for yourself. You'll spend less on a lab than you're spending on oil.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by sdg1970; Oct 2nd, 2020 at 00:33.
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 00:45   #10
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
They're all much of a muchness. I use Lucas Oil Stablizer (their Z) in a tired 1960s classic. Do about 4-5000 a year with it, and it works. Is it right, is it a good thing? Nope, and I'm sorry no snake-oil is going to make-up for lack of metal. But it solders on. Be clear, it's a bodge, these snake-oils all do the same thing in the same dubious way. What else did you want us to hear? I can say, Lucas Oil Stablizer does seen to stop oil wobbling, which is good.

Respectfully... utter rot: And here's proof... proper oil analysis at 28,000. You're wasting money. The PCV clogs for others reasons I've covered. Get your oil labb'ed and see for yourself. You'll spend less on a lab than you're spending on oil.
It proves **** all. Your point being?? 🤷*♂️