Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Damaged Windscreen

Views : 4584

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2020, 18:43   #1
key76

Default Damaged Windscreen

So with barely 3k on the clock, today whilst overtaking a lorry I got hit by a stone which it had thrown up from the road.

Result is hopefully in the photo I attached.

Entire chip including cracks is less than a £2 coin so Autoglass think it is repairable. But worried the heated windscreen elements may be damaged.

Has anyone else had similar? And how did thr heated screen fare?

If it is damaged then I’ll insist on a new screen and pay the “non approved repairer” excess to have dealer do it rather than Autoglass as heard so many horror stories. But hoping quick repir can be done.

It’s on passenges side and I can’t even see it when driving as the mirror housing blocks my view of it.

To say I am fuming is an understatement.

Not sure if it’s just a perception, but is glass getting less robust these days. I’ve driven for many years in cheap anf luxury cars, and most got a hit to the glass by stones, yet this is the only one that ever got damaged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B00EB920-BD61-4C90-A8CB-482029805B2D.jpg (88.1 KB, 76 views)
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 19:04   #2
Director76
Master Member

That won’t repair well I fear...and I’d be wary if it’s a lease car as you could find you face a bill.

I’d actually recommend Autoglass over the dealer. Daily experience vs a few a year.

What I’d suggest is call into the local Autoglass depot, tell them you’re very particular about your car, ask if you can book with their senior tech, ask to meet them, talk over the issue, and finally - take it into the depot rather than mobile fit.

I did all of the above on two screen replacements and I couldn’t fault (or even see) that anything had been done.

I would say - request an OEM screen not a pattern one, many insurers will approve them FOC on cars under 3 years (Aviva do, for example). All the glass techs I’ve spoken to all said less problems, better fit with OEM glass.

Good luck - screen replacement can be a worrying time!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Director76 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 19:12   #3
key76

I’m with LV (althogh renews in 3 weeks and I an leaving them as they hiked the premium). Hope that doesn’t make them more strict with the application of the rules.

Will see what happens when Autoglass come to repair it on Monday. But will call LV later this week to check their stance on it and if I don’t like repair or heated screen is inpaired whether they will cover replacement witn OEM glass.

Repair is £20 excess so worth a gamble, replacement with LVs approved installers is £95 excess and non-approved installer is £200 excess.

I am still furious as in 25 years of motoring I have never had a damaged screen. I have it on dashcam as it’s just in view if the camera and can see the reg of the lorry that flicked it up, but suspect it would be classed as one of those things and I’ll have to pay up and grumble to myself.
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 19:59   #4
Bogus

I have used Autoglass previously and they are super quick and efficient and do a great job.
Bogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 20:11   #5
key76

It’s encouraging to hear good reports on Autoglass. Never used them myself but heard horror stories. Thankfully sounds like they may be outdated views and not a true reflection of them now. Makes me feel more confident.

On a related note, do they need access to the inside of the car to do a repair? I have OCD and am germ phobic at the best of times, so having someone else in the car in the middle if a pandemic is something I’fld rather avoid if at all possible. Their website says they need access to open both front doors but on the video of an example repair they never go inside.
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 20:45   #6
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
It’s encouraging to hear good reports on Autoglass. Never used them myself but heard horror stories. Thankfully sounds like they may be outdated views and not a true reflection of them now. Makes me feel more confident.
Remember you only hear "problem/horror" stories when things go wrong, etc so by default the readers will in many circumstances only read negative reports.
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 21:45   #7
skippyfox
VOC Member

Director 76 has hit the nail on the head. Autoglass depot is your best option.
Been there done that.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 21:46   #8
Director76
Master Member

Quote:

On a related note, do they need access to the inside of the car to do a repair? I have OCD and am germ phobic at the best of times, so having someone else in the car in the middle if a pandemic is something I’fld rather avoid if at all possible. Their website says they need access to open both front doors but on the video of an example repair they never go inside.
Yes - they put a dash protector on, plus have to remove and refit the mirror housing. Get your disinfectant spray to hand!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 21:48   #9
Bogus

The guy who i used was very good and had wipes, disinfectant etc and a dash protector. wiped down all handles, steering wheel etc

Quote:

Bogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 21:50   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
Yes - they put a dash protector on, plus have to remove and refit the mirror housing. Get your disinfectant spray to hand!
volvo have to recalibrate the City safety camera after ,