Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

slightly volvoless :(

Views : 6691

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2014, 15:37   #1
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Default slightly volvoless :(

Got pranged by someone comming the wrong way onto a roundabout. He was distracted by his daughter.

We are hopefully going to sort it out without involving insurance. He said to get a quote tuedsay then we'll take it to his mates garage to see what he makes of it.

I got a feeling that he wont be able to get it fixed due to lack of parts. So worrying a bit.

I cant drive the car, headlights out, and its got a saggy front bumper, wing and bonnet are buckled and there are a few sharp bits, so im liable if some tit hurts themselves on it.

The car runs and chassis looks ok. His car - a write off. Just wait and see what happens with this one i guess.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 15:51   #2
Chris Wickers
Director

Gutted for you.

Hope it gets sorted quickly.

Chris
Chris Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 16:15   #3
rusty244

Ouch.

Hope you get it sorted satisfactorily.

Main thing is - the car did it's job and you are still in one piece.
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 17:18   #4
Lancee
Premier Member

"then we'll take it to his mates garage" mmmmm.

Better to take it to your mates garage?
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 17:32   #5
Spitfire4
Master Member

Sorry to hear that, main thing is your okay, hope you got his insurance info though just in case.
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 11:19   #6
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Everyone is ok hehe, the car did its job and protected us.

I got an estimate this morning. The chassis is bent, needs a new bumper, headlight, hockey stick and bonnet at the very least. The wing they can fix, they have to colour match the other wing with the bonnet and bumper. Engine wise, theyve shocked the manifold and it runs lumpy and the rad holds pressure but is bent.

They just quoted labour alone at a minimum of 1k without paint or parts in that price. Going to contact the bloke and see what he says. Hell definitely want me to take it to his mates for that or pay off the value of the car? Its definitely an insurance write off if we go through insurance.

Pics will follow soon

Its drivable, but advised not to for safety.
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 22:28   #7
Anadinolin
VOC Member

https://imageshack.us/i/idjJRw4Mj
https://imageshack.us/i/paQA8OYBj
https://imageshack.us/i/ezbFFtJ9j
Old Aug 27th, 2014, 01:52   #8
Joseph Martin
Master Member

Sorry to hear this, but at least every one is ok. My Volvo mechanic recently scrapped an L reg 440 Si. I say recently, so the yard may still have it. Bits you would need including headlight, indicator etc should still be on it. I'm located in central Scotland, but would be happy to get you the bits and send them to you for what they cost, provided the car is still in the yard. Might be a few days before I am able to go up, the yard is called Muirhead Auto Breakers - 0141 779 5666. Hope this helps if you are struggling for these parts.
Joseph Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Martin For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2014, 12:40   #9
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Im meeting up with the bloke tomorrow, in Rainham. See what his bodyshop says.

he definitely did not want to pay a grand minimum on repairing the car as "it's only a P-reg"

my next best guess is that he will want to settle with a lump sum or maybe try going through insurance. If it is an insurance job, it will be a high chance the insurance will want to scrap the car (i wont let them due to the sentimental attachment).

i will keep you guys posted.
Old Aug 30th, 2014, 13:35   #10
AndyPants
VOC Member

Sorry to hear of your mis-fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadinolin View Post
Im meeting up with the bloke tomorrow, in Rainham. See what his bodyshop says.

he definitely did not want to pay a grand minimum on repairing the car as "it's only a P-reg"

my next best guess is that he will want to settle with a lump sum or maybe try going through insurance. If it is an insurance job, it will be a high chance the insurance will want to scrap the car (i wont let them due to the sentimental attachment).
"the its only a p-reg" really annoys me, so what? Its your transport and he's the gimp that crashed into it! Had a similar thing said when a silly woman at my old works car parked reversed straight into a colleagues old Rover - why? cause she relied on the reversing sensors and was too lazy to move her stupid head! A prat with a Porsche who was probably her boss said its "only an old Rover" - which is completely besides the point! But then I suppose it doesn't take much imagination to buy a Porsche, so he was probably lacking in that regard....

I can see why you'd want to avoid insurance, but it does put you in a risky situation as effectively "its up to him".

Are you on third party of fully comp? If third party and its easy to prove he was at fault then in theory I would guess your car couldn't be written off anyway without your say so - as its your car and his insurance.

I would guess the main arguement would likely be which is cheaper, to repair or buy another 400 series in equivalent condition (which would also save some aggro) - although I vaguely remember you have sentimental value with this car also . To be honest the damage doesn't look too bad, but as often with these things theres the hidden nasties underneath as you describe.

Hope it all works out for you.