Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5252T smoking from dipstick

Views : 951

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 06:55   #1
Iceonfire

Default D5252T smoking from dipstick

Good morning all.
New guy on the forum and already have a problem. I recently acquired a V70, 2.5 TDI. Had the same engine in my old VWT4 that had about 270,000 miles on it when I parted with it. No issues with this one.
Anyway, back to my issue, I have noticed that there is smoke coming out of the dipstick. I have been scouring the net, and seen various posts mentioning the PCV. Can anyone tell me if this is likely to be my problem and if there is anything obvious that I can do to it initially, to try and rectify the problem, such as blocked pipes,or something?
No better place to ask I thought, with all your knowledge and expertise.
Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 09:01   #2
volvo again
Master Member

PCV system probably blocked causing excessive crankcase pressure, if not done it may lead to oil leaking from crankshaft seals.
Not a difficult job to replace hoses and oil trap but need to remove intake manifold.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 09:15   #3
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Mate just drive it.
As for Pcv issues it doesn't have one ...Only applies to Petrols.
They are bombroof and know them very well.
Your looking for a problem that doesn't exist
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 09:15   #4
rudi dudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
PCV system probably blocked causing excessive crankcase pressure, if not done it may lead to oil leaking from crankshaft seals.
Not a difficult job to replace hoses and oil trap but need to remove intake manifold.

Nope not applicable to the diesel
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:25   #5
Iceonfire

Thanks for the information about the PCV, everyday a school day. Surely it can’t be good for it to be coming out of here though.
Am I right in thinking that it is the crankcase venting, through the dipstick as it is unable to go it’s normal route? If so, what is it’s normal route?
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:30   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Thanks for the information about the PCV, everyday a school day. Surely it can’t be good for it to be coming out of here though.
Am I right in thinking that it is the crankcase venting, through the dipstick as it is unable to go it’s normal route? If so, what is it’s normal route?
I think it depends on what you define as ‘smoke’. If you have flow of smoke coming out and it quickly gets to the point where you have lots of smoke around that’s an issue.

If you get a bit of steam/smoke when at temp with the dipstick out I am not sure I would be too worried...
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:35   #7
Iceonfire

It was up to temperature, when I popped the hood and I noticed it weeping from the dipstick, when I took the dipstick out it was like a chimney pot
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 11:47   #8
rudi dudi

This is my final post on it...
There's nothing wrong with it.
I've just checked all of mine and they do it.

Your looking for a non existent problem.
My ones are at the following miles.
Vehicle no 1 327k
No 2 234k
No 3 149k
No 4. 102k
No 5 64k

Cant say I've ever looked before and I've only been around these for 20 odd years.

Just drive it it is fine.
Invest your money in keeping on top of belts and tenssioners and it will live nearly forever.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 11:56   #9
volvo again
Master Member

Yep, just noticed it's a diesel, my mistake
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 14:03   #10
Martin Cox
VOC Member

If the oil consumption is normal and there's no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant then I don't think there's any cause to worry.

Having said that, I've just checked mine (1998 D5252T 225,000 miles) and it isn't smoking from the dipstick on this occasion but then I've never checked before.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote