Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECU Chips.

Views : 2745

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2009, 20:50   #1
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Default ECU Chips.

There have been a couple of threads recently about the various chips available for Volvo's. I'm getting an ecu and ignition pair from a company in Sweden called Hi Tuning.
People who go on the Turbobricks Forum will have seen the various Chip threads by frpe82 who works for them.
Most of the info covers LH Jetronic systems fitted on 940 and 740's but his company also do chips for other Volvos.
I will do a bit of a write up about fitting them and how the car performs afterwards when I get them.

For information on what is available go to,

http://www.hituning-usa.com/

To contact the company email Fredrik,

fredrik@hi-tuning.com

There is also a lot of information on the turbobricks site here,

http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=84817

Don't know if this will help anyone but it's another supplier to add to the list.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 23:12   #2
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Should be getting my Chips next week. Hopefully everything will go to plan and I will be able to report on what they are like. Going by previous buyers comments it should be fun.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 13:24   #3
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Well, got the chips this morning, only posted Friday so that was quick.

Absolutly no problems so far. Fitted the chips and put the control units back in the car. Started, and idled ok and no warning lights.
Started off carefully with only 10psi of boost and all was well so wound it up to about 13psi.

With the standard chips I was getting pinking at anything over 10psi but ther is no sign of anything at the moment, the other thing is that it drives very well at slow speeds. Top gear at 20mph and just accelerate and its fine.

I have been fitting another restrictor in the wastegate line so hopefully I will now be able to get 14psi ok. Should be fun although the petrol is dissapearing fast !
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 13:42   #4
SteveP
300 Maniac

Sounds good! Fred's chips are reputed to be excellent!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 13:50   #5
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Thats one of the reasons I though I would put a thread one here. I have asked a few companies about chips or ecu's for my car and the responce was either no we don't do them (perhaps don't know?) or no reply at all. Anyway thats another story.

I'm going out again to give the car a try with the boost wound up a bit more. Fredrick says that 14/15psi should be ok but if I go any furthur I will have to get decent air fuel gauge or run it on a rolling road somewhere.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 15:56   #6
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

15 psi seems ok, well more than ok it's brilliant !

I realise that my car isn't anything special, it's just a standard HPT with a bleed valve and the wrong diff but it's great fun. I'm glad I took the ball type MBC off now as it doesn't need any extra ommph at low speed now.

I'm pretty impressed. When you think that the chips have been developed to suit all 940's with this ECU they have done a pretty good job of making them work well. There are quite a few lanes round where I live and it's just as happy trundling round them as it is at speed.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 19:04   #7
Suterman
240 Turbo

The chips are programmed for your particular ecu number, Fred's been writing maps for about 3 or 4 years now and he's getting better all the time.

You should look at fitting a bigger intercooler, get one from an Iveco Eurocargo, it make a lot of difference and will drop straight in though you'll need custom pipes.
1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 19:20   #8
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I haven't lost the grin from driving it as it is yet ! It's gone from slugmobile 2.3 non turbo auto to chipped 2.3 turbo manual quite a difference already.

I think I will be needing some new shocks before making it go any faster as they are still the original 75,000 originals at the moment.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 01:19   #9
typhoon

Makes a huge difference, doesn't it! Fit a decent exhaust and you'll be even more impressed!

Regards, Andrew.
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 14:34   #10
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I think the exhaust is next on the list really although having the standard one on it helps control boost spike if you have an MBC in the car as I have found !

I splashed out and bought a new boost gauge and have fitted it in the air vent near the instruments. I had a cheapy one and one I had borrowed but though a half decent one was a good idea.