Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

top end ticking, tappets?

Views : 2330

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2020, 00:24   #21
Stellaman94

Your car sounds way healthier than mine! The noise I have was how It was when I got the car. Have you considered injector cleaner by any chance? It's a hit and miss for some people, and at an average price of £7 you cant go wrong.

Listen to my engine, that clack it has sounds horrible! Also when I drive mine through narrow built up roads you can hear the ticking like worn tappets on a high milage petrol engine. Your engine sounds fine if I'm honest, maybe just needs some cleaner through it as it doesn't take much at all to clog an injector.

https://youtu.be/Nvxn4H8RiWk
Stellaman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 02:34   #22
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellaman94 View Post
Your car sounds way healthier than mine! The noise I have was how It was when I got the car. Have you considered injector cleaner by any chance? It's a hit and miss for some people, and at an average price of £7 you cant go wrong.

Listen to my engine, that clack it has sounds horrible! Also when I drive mine through narrow built up roads you can hear the ticking like worn tappets on a high milage petrol engine. Your engine sounds fine if I'm honest, maybe just needs some cleaner through it as it doesn't take much at all to clog an injector.

https://youtu.be/Nvxn4H8RiWk
I would say the sound is pretty much identical, I can hear that belt though whirring away, try yours with the engine cover off and record that and yeah, even bungalows on just one side and fields on the other is bad enough let alone both sides and houses etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Bear in mind that the aux belt isn't a totally silent part either as its in motion. For example, if you start the car & put your head at the wheel arch & listen closely, you can hear the belt moving around on the pulleys... Its a movement/friction noise. Obviously, a rattling pulley would be another noise altogether, but it can be hard to distinguish sounds in that area of the car because you've got moving belts etc too that make a noise as they move.

The ticking/tapping noise in question doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as the video on your channel from about a month ago (I know that injector has since been replaced, but it was a much louder noise than what you're experiencing now).

There doesn't appear to be any leaks now & I'm guessing no codes either? If so, it may be a case of leaving it be for a while to see if the noise gets any worse (Like the sound from the video a month ago). Replacing the rest of the injectors isn't cheap & there's no guarantee that replacement will solve the noise you're hearing now (It might not be the injectors after all).
No it doesn't sound like it did when I didn't mount the replacement injector with a new fitting kit, that was what that video was about, , this was only a 2nd user injector and I would go the same route with the rest to e honest, I couldn't afford to change them for new, but it is deffo the injector noise isn't it and not something more sinister with regards to my initial thoughts and the head/tappets?

I don't remember it sounding anything like this prior to working on the oil change and injector replacement, I am fairly certain I would have picked up on it as its quite a noise and I hate anything noisey on the car as I am very self conscious about things like that, I find it embarrassing lol. scratch that, I just listed to both videos, this new one, same as the one from yesterday at 0:26s and this old one you're on about at about 0:54s on, you can see the sound was there even then as you say. so perhaps its been there all the time and only just picked up on it. Glad i didn't fork out on the super decently expensive oil now, that would have been a waste

Weird how it/they get noisey after the car gets warmed up some, dead quiet till then, wonder why that is?
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 14:04   #23
cheshired5
Premier Member

Here's a simple thing that I would do.
Pour into the fuel tank a 200:1 dilution of low Ash mineral 2 stroke oil so that's 50ml of oil for every 10 litres of diesel that's in the tank. On a full 70 litre tank, it's 350ml of 2 stroke.

If the noise calms down, it's fuel system related and may be cured by occasional repeated use of 2 stroke.
If there's no difference, hydraulic lifters aren't out of the question.

If the results are favourable, you can be fairly casual with 2 stroke in a Euro 3 D5 but on a Euro 4, maybe only repeat every 5-10 tankfuls.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 19:14   #24
Stellaman94

https://youtu.be/YVR3fc6q4nE

I re-recorded the sound of my Engine Bashy, mine has some horrible audible clack which you can here from across the road, I couldn't hear that in your videos.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 08:52   #25
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Here's a simple thing that I would do.
Pour into the fuel tank a 200:1 dilution of low Ash mineral 2 stroke oil so that's 50ml of oil for every 10 litres of diesel that's in the tank. On a full 70 litre tank, it's 350ml of 2 stroke.

If the noise calms down, it's fuel system related and may be cured by occasional repeated use of 2 stroke.
If there's no difference, hydraulic lifters aren't out of the question.

If the results are favourable, you can be fairly casual with 2 stroke in a Euro 3 D5 but on a Euro 4, maybe only repeat every 5-10 tankfuls.
thanks for that, I have literally just put in a Redex injector cleaner, does that amount to the same thing or still do what you said?
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 08:53   #26
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
https://youtu.be/YVR3fc6q4nE

I re-recorded the sound of my Engine Bashy, mine has some horrible audible clack which you can here from across the road, I couldn't hear that in your videos.
Yeah, yours does have a clack to it, does it stop the second you let go of the throttle like mine does and starts again as the revs drop?
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 10:09   #27
Stellaman94

Yes it does and it ticks when you rev it, I'm beginning to think that clacking is related to a cold start issue I'm having recently, you go to crank it as it's about to fire it dies. Took me 6 attempts this morning.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 12:15   #28
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Yes it does and it ticks when you rev it, I'm beginning to think that clacking is related to a cold start issue I'm having recently, you go to crank it as it's about to fire it dies. Took me 6 attempts this morning.
Is it a bit lumpy for a very short while too, likes it's only firing on 4.5 cyl's
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 12:40   #29
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
thanks for that, I have literally just put in a Redex injector cleaner, does that amount to the same thing or still do what you said?
Redex is more of a detergent than a lubricant so I'd still be trying some low ash mineral 2 stroke.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 04:04   #30
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Redex is more of a detergent than a lubricant so I'd still be trying some low ash mineral 2 stroke.
Much appreciated, I already have some for my mower anyway, so will report back once I've done some etc...