Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I fit a bigger battery?

Views : 1488

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2020, 16:30   #1
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Default Should I fit a bigger battery?

The battery on my car seems to be coming to the end of its life.
As it discharges when the car is not in use quite quickly, and I have checked for parasitic drain when the car is locked is less than 50mah.
But the battery drops down to about 12.4v after a couple of days after being fully charged.
The battery voltage drops down to 10.2v when starting the engine, which isn't terrible but is on the low side.

So it seems that I need a new battery.
Currently, it has a Yusa 75Ah 650A, which is slightly higher capacity than the recommended 72Ah battery.

Should replace it with the same battery or pay £10 more and get a 77Ah 760A battery:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exide-Premi.../dp/B00UJ90U2A

Details of my car in the signature below.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 17:56   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

£10 extra..... It won't make a difference but if you want to, sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 19:05   #3
AndyV7o
Premier Member

That battery is not really an upgrade, its better, but not notably.
If you want an upgrade you want an 019 battery as used in the D5's.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 19:19   #4
oragex
Premier Member

The way to test it is drive the car, then disconnect the positive, let sit 1h to stabilize, then measure at the posts. If you see 12.4 or so, it's not that bad. Your problem may rather be a parasitic drain which will damage a new battery as well. How much drain do you read when leaving the multimeter connected for 10 min (to have all computers shut down). If you see 0.01 or 0.02 is ok, 0.04 or higher there is drain. Have you tried removing the alarm siren fuse ?
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 20:18   #5
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will look into the 019 battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
The way to test it is drive the car, then disconnect the positive, let sit 1h to stabilize, then measure at the posts. If you see 12.4 or so, it's not that bad. Your problem may rather be a parasitic drain which will damage a new battery as well. How much drain do you read when leaving the multimeter connected for 10 min (to have all computers shut down). If you see 0.01 or 0.02 is ok, 0.04 or higher there is drain. Have you tried removing the alarm siren fuse ?
I used a UNI-T UT210E clamp meter to measure the drain after the car had been locked for 30mins ( and while it was still locked ).
It was showing between 10 > 25 Mah drain.
I also tested with a different clamp meter and got similar results, as well as testing both meters against a multimeter* connected in-line in a different DC circuit.

Also why do you suggest to remove the positive battery terminal, I thought usually it's recommended to remove the negative terminal as it's safer?

* I tried testing with the multimeter inline in the car, but the meter is only supposed to have up to 10amps going through it and the car uses more than that when reconnecting the battery and I was worried about damaging the meter.
Initially after reconnecting the battery is was pulling over 20amps, then it settled down to 16amps, then I removed the meter to prevent it being damaged.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 20:27   #6
marcb
Master Member

I thought the 019 was standard in P2 V70s. It's the one in both the 2001 and 2005 models we've had. It's a big battery.

I put a Volvo OEM 019 in the 2005 2 years ago and it's now going flat after 2 days. It has a 3 year guarantee so I'll be checking the drain and taking it back if all is in order.
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcb For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 20:43   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubber View Post
I used a UNI-T UT210E clamp meter to measure the drain
I have the UT216C but wouldn't trust its accuracy on such low currents due to the inherent margin of error.

A regular multimeter in series with the negative lead and negative post will be more accurate.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 21:08   #8
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I have the UT216C but wouldn't trust its accuracy on such low currents due to the inherent margin of error.

A regular multimeter in series with the negative lead and negative post will be more accurate.
I tested my UNI-T UT210E against two different mutli meters and it was within 2mAh of the results from the multi meters.
Tried it with a DC circut pulling 15mAh and 80mAh, the other clamp meter I had was accurate within about 5mAh in the same tests.
Results from watching youtubers with more accurate equipment shows simular results.

I actually looked at buying a UT216C after seeing it in one of your videos but it's less accurate in measuring DC current than the UT210E.
The stated accuracy of the two are ±(2.5%+5) (2%+3) respectively.
Thats not to slate your meter, it has some nice features such as showing highest and lowest values.

As mentioned earlier in the thread I did try to use a multimeter inline on the car but the car uses too many amps when reconnecting the battery, which risks damaging the meter.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 21:51   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
I actually looked at buying a UT216C after seeing it in one of your videos but it's less accurate in measuring DC current than the UT210E.
The stated accuracy of the two are ±(2.5%+5) (2%+3).
That margin of error has never be an issue for any of my uses. .

Quote:
As mentioned earlier in the thread I did try to use a multimeter inline on the car but the car uses too many amps when reconnecting the battery, which risks damaging the meter.
If you see my parasitic drain video, the only risk is central locking and door openings so just avoid those.
You can leave doors, bonnet and boot open by closing their microswitches and tricking the CEM.
The current in that state won't blow the meter.
Old Sep 4th, 2020, 22:25   #10
BlueRubber
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
That margin of error has never be an issue for any of my uses. .

If you see my parasitic drain video, the only risk is central locking and door openings so just avoid those.
You can leave doors, bonnet and boot open by closing their microswitches and tricking the CEM.
The current in that state won't blow the meter.
The margin of error isn't huge, I mainly went for this clamp meter as it was much cheaper and slightly more accurate.

Thanks, I saw your very helpful video and followed the advice to close the boot and door micro switches etc.
My issue is that to connect a multi meter inline I first need to disconnect the battery. But when I re-connect the battery there is significant amp draw for a while as all the computers etc boot up, initially over 20amps, then down to 16amps, then I disconnected the multi meter as I was worried it would be damaged due to it only be rated for 10amps.