Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

22” pro wheels - real world vulnerability?

Views : 2537

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2020, 23:07   #11
Cull06
Master Member

I tried an xc60 polestar with the 22s and found it on the harsh side for a daily. I went with the 21s and am glad I did. A noticeable improvement indeed.
Cull06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 23:54   #12
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
I tried an xc60 polestar with the 22s and found it on the harsh side for a daily. I went with the 21s and am glad I did. A noticeable improvement indeed.
You're talking about a polestar. you can only choose between 21" or 22". But for the others that might choose below 21", i would say 20" is the balanced choice.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Aug 5th, 2020 at 00:10.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOL0VER For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 20:47   #13
kaney1980

Thumbs down

We have the 22” and whilst I like the style and simplicity of cleaning, both fronts now have scars. The tyre rim protector just isn’t thick enough to protect. They do thud over sharp bumps and holes in the road too, so you definitely lose comfort (and gain road noise).

What’s more, these can only be refurbed a couple of times and then no more material can be diamond cut off them. I got one refurbed when we hadn’t got the car long as I was too worried about it looking perfect; after what I thought was only a light scuff, I was told they couldn’t do it again in the future. What I didn’t realise was it had already been done in the past by Volvo (was ex demo), so we’re down now to it’s last life before being replaced, ideally. Since been kerbed again too, so it really irks me!

Also, after the refurb I was told there was a slight buckle that they couldn’t get quite right, but I haven’t noticed any vibration whilst driving.
360 Camera & BLIS
Harman Kardon
kaney1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kaney1980 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 19:00   #14
Wib

I have 22’s on mine and I am paranoid about curbing etc. These wouldn’t have been a choice, although they do look amazing, as the car was an ex-demo

I am thinking about seeing if I can get Alloy Gator protectors fitted, I’m sure they will save some scrapes, I do think they’re still very much at risk
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 19:14   #15
Zebra
Chief of Staff

I have summer 22s and winter 19s.

22s look great but poor ride, noisy and despite careful 50K miles have scuffs.

When the pure winters on the 19s have worn down I think I will go with cross climate and stick with the 19s year round.

Like others I had an ex demo 22s and on reflection I wish I had asked to reduce to 20s not that it would have necessarily been available.

V40 D2 R-Design Nav Plus MY2017, 18" wheels, winter pack.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 09:08   #16
Baconbaronen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I have summer 22s and winter 19s.

22s look great but poor ride, noisy and despite careful 50K miles have scuffs.

When the pure winters on the 19s have worn down I think I will go with cross climate and stick with the 19s year round.

Like others I had an ex demo 22s and on reflection I wish I had asked to reduce to 20s not that it would have necessarily been available.
22s summer here, noisy? Not at all, but they're still new (8000 km).
The funny thing about ride comfort, put 50 people in a room, and you'll get 50 different opinions.
From my POV, the ride comfort is just fine with 22s.
Baconbaronen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 20:05   #17
Zebra
Chief of Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconbaronen View Post
22s summer here, noisy? Not at all, but they're still new (8000 km).
The funny thing about ride comfort, put 50 people in a room, and you'll get 50 different opinions.
From my POV, the ride comfort is just fine with 22s.
Agree with the ride comfort thing. My view is comparison but then I also know which wheels are on so it is not a blind comparison.

V40 D2 R-Design Nav Plus MY2017, 18" wheels, winter pack.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 09:23   #18
Baconbaronen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Agree with the ride comfort thing. My view is comparison but then I also know which wheels are on so it is not a blind comparison.
Ah yes, of course, if you have both size of wheels at hand, then it's easier to make a direct comparison.

Me, just having summer 22s at the moment, well......I wouldn't say it's a bad ride comfort? But that might change later in the year, when I get around to get my hand on some wintertires in 19 or 20s.
Baconbaronen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 10:15   #19
Discoman

Cannot understand the need to put low profile tyres on an SUV. As others have said 22" etc wheels are just nuts.

I've got 19" wheels on mine with air suspension and in dynamic mode it corners to a degree which is very impressive but ride quality is sublime.

I guess it depends what you want. I enjoy an easy life in my XC90 and keep an old V8 coupe for an enthusiastic drive now and then. Why an SUV needs to pretend to be a sports car is beyond me and, anyway, if you want to play that game then an X5 or Cayenne are better bets.
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 11:23   #20
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
Cannot understand the need to put low profile tyres on an SUV. As others have said 22" etc wheels are just nuts.
I agree. The argument for 22" wheels seems to be purely cosmetic, i.e. they look better.

We were half-thinking of changing our XC60 earlier this year and many of the Volvo Selekt cars had 22" wheels. I did drive an XC60 with 22" wheels on air suspension and, compared with my current XC60 on 20" wheels, it rode surprisingly well, granted on smooth-ish roads.

I would be rather worried about kerbs though, even though I am careful.