Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alternator rip-off?

Views : 716

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 20:26   #1
Duq

A few weeks ago the alternator on my car went ('89 740GL). Of course, according to Murphy's law, it didn't quit on a regular working day, but half an hour into our weekend away with the children. Hotel booked and everything. With ANWB (dutch AA) help (a good knock on the faulty alternator to get the contacts to hit the axle again) I got it running again, but didn't want to risk the trip with an alternator that could die any moment. So I started phoning garages in the area. Since it was friday lunch time most weren't quite willing to help. We ended up going to the Volvo dealer where we bought the car.
The complained the bonnet release cable had broken, so it took them forever to open the bonnet (Murphy again, I opened the bonnet half an hour before to check the alternator type when on the phone to a garage). They claimed they couldn't fix the cable, so they simply closed the bonnet when they were done. I've now received an invoice for EUR276,- for a reconditioned alternator, an extra EUR40,- for the bonnet cable they didn't fix, and EUR20,- for labour. With VAT that makes a staggering EUR400,-!!
As if all that isn't bad enough, when I had a look at the bonnet cable (which appeared not broken at all, just the washer at the end of the outer cable was gone. They could have put in a temporary fix with a 1 cent washer and 5 minutes work, saving me all the trouble of reaching the catches from underneath) I found they also broke the lower right bracket on the grill, so that's now loose.
Obviously I'm going to complain about the cable and the grill, but I wonder how much of a rip-off the 276 for a reconditioned alternator is. Replies from Holland would be extra helpfull.
I'm very disappointed in this Volvo dealer (Mulder/Heemskerk in Katwijk, if anyone's interested) and am now taking the car to an independant garage for MOT and service.

Duq