Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine lack of power / strange noises

Views : 842

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2014, 19:16   #1
Greecey

Default Engine lack of power / strange noises

I'm hoping someone can help. I have an S40 03 plate 1.9diesel Sport model with 135k on the clock - manual gearbox.
She has a full service history having owned her from new and had a full service with fuel filter approx. 6k ago. The majority of miles we have done in her since 70k have been motorway miles with a 50 mile each way commute.
My wife got in her to drive home this afternoon and she noticed a distinct lack of power. When accelerating normally, she lacks power and won't rev well. Also, she noticed that when the engine does reach 2000rpm there is a noise like a fan inside the car as if the screen demisters are getting louder although it isn't these fans it is from the engine bay. I took her out myself when she got home and noticed the same symptoms - almost as if the turbo isn't doing anything at all. I had a quick look under the bonnet and noticed a lot of oil from the turbo intake area and also at the top of the engine roughly where the intake and EGR valve is situated. She has no smoke from the exhaust at all and there appears to be no major oil loss. All of the pipes seem to be connected where they should be.
I am hoping someone can advise us as to the possible cause. She has been an extremely reliable car. My local garage has recently closed and we will have to try elsewhere. I am just after an idea as I don't want to get taken for a ride when we get her looked at on Monday.
Any help would be appreciated.
Greecey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 20:35   #2
gatos
Premier Member

The turbo kicks in at around 1800 RPM. So it sounds like your turbo might be on its way out. However, there is a bit of glimmer of hope. If you are lucky enough, it might be that the hose that goes from the airbox to the turbo, might be split. That would explain the lack of power below 2000 RPM and the fact that the turbo noise is noticeable at around 2000. Is the turbo noise normal but just a bit louder, or does it sound really rough?

This hose tends to get a deep cut at the point where the jubilee clip clip secures it on the turbo. Many people overtighten the hell out of it and the jubilee clip digs in and damages the hose. See photo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.9D turbo hose.JPG (99.0 KB, 94 views)

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 21:25   #3
Alexjansen

I very recently had that problem, one of the turbo hoses (the one on the way out of the turbo) was split, letting air escape. It resulted in a big loss of power, and a big air sound when accelerating. I also had some very bad black smoke, but the smoke stopped when I disconnected the EGR valve. Everything went fine again whe I changed the hose. (then I had other problems.. -__-)

Maybe, I say maybe your problem is EGR-related. Maybe the EGR valve is stuck and needs cleaning or replacing. I would suggest you try a little ride with the EGR disconnected (just unplug it with a screwdriver), don't worry this has no effect on the electronics afterwards. I hope this can be a clue
Alexjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 23:20   #4
v40alex
I do like a V40

If you do take the hose above off, you can quickly check your turbo at the same time - make sure the vanes spin freely and there is minimal lateral movement.

The oil around the top of the engine above the EGR is fairly common, the o-ring seal on the shut-off valve is prone to leak.
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 01:25   #5
V40DSchariot
Master Member

I had a problem a serious lack of power last year.
When your car's running will it rev freely in neutral but then lack rev's when under load?
When you switch your engine off, does it feel and sound like it try's to carry on running?
Have a look at my thread from last year, there's a solenoid that shuts the butterfly valve from the air intake when you shut engine off, mine was buggered so wasn't getting any boost. Changed that and all was well.
Hope the link below works.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=179816&page=3
V40DSchariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 08:38   #6
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Sounds like a split/disconnected turbo hose.

Somewhere between the turbo - intercooler - inlet manifold.

Where you say there is a lot of oil sprayed about is the best place to start looking but a split may not be visible unless the hose is under pressure.

Have someone rev the engine whilst you look/listen in this area.

Had this on clio once (similar engine I reckon). You could hear a whooshing and in that case the turbo was actually shifting enough air (hose was off) to blow through the heater vents in the car!
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 12:51   #7
charlie5729d

Default Bottom turbo hose

I've just had this problem and I'm told its quite common, its usually a split in the "bottom hose" that is the problem. There are two hoses, the top one is the one in the picture. I saw the split myself at the garage.
Replacement hose part number 30621587. £35 from ebay, otherwise £70 quid plus from Volvo. I had a temporary repair which held until I got a proper replacement. I.e. metal tubing (possibly bit of exhaust pipe) inside rubber tube that covered split, jubillee clip tightened up on outside rubber fore and aft of the split. Then re-attach hose.
charlie5729d is offline   Reply With Quote