Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electric windows

Views : 1602

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2003, 21:55   #1
VolvoFan
Master Member

Default Electric windows

My S40 CD 2.0 l (1998) has electric windows front & rear, and all work fine using their individual rocker switches. But when using the centre console switches, all but the front passenger window operate normally. This one only opens, but will not close with the central rocker switch; but it will open & close with its own switch in the door itself. Does this indicate a faulty central rocker switch, or some other malevolent fault? How are these switches removed for inspection/replacement, and are they similar to the ones fitted on older Volvos (e.g. 240)? All comments & suggestions gratefully received!
VolvoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 09:44   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Electric windows

The fact that the window operates correctly with one switch and not another is sufficient proof that the switch that doesn't operate the window correctly in both directions is at fault. You can, if you are technically inclined and have good eyesight, remove the switch and take it apart and check for bad/worn connections.

I recommend that you just order a new switch and then install it.
Or if you aren't sure (it is easy to snap the trim if you try to take the switches out incorrectly) then take it to the dealer and get them to supply and fit a new switch.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 21:23   #3
VolvoFan
Master Member

Default RE: Electric windows & alarm

Thanks, Dan. I'd like to try to rectify the fault myself, first. Do you know if switch removal is just a case of prising it from its housing, or is there anything else to dismantle first?

I have just discovered that I cannot leave the sunroof or windows open an inch or so for ventillation after leaving the car and locking it with the remote control, as the alarm goes off if a sudden breeze alters the air pressure inside the car. This will be a nuisance when it is parked all day in the sun in a few weeks' time. Is there a way of doing this without activating the alarm, or is there a method of de-activating the alarm manually, such as a switch somewhere? The driver's manual doesn't mention this.

Cheers.

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:32   #4
Mike Clift

When you use the remote it sets deadlocks and interior ultrasonics - hence the problem.

Instead, lock the car by using the key in the door. This locks the car but does not set deadlocking or ultrasonics.

Certainly that how mine works.

Mike
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 10:04   #5
Dan F
Premier Member

There is a way of disabling the ultrasonics, and it should be in the manual somewhere if I remember, but it is a bit of a bind as it involves moving the ignition key to different positions and things like that.

Perhaps someone with a manual handy can help. Scott perhaps? I know he keeps his manual with him. ;-)

Dan.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 10:57   #6
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

yeah still in me bag, just had a flick through and cant see anythig for disabling the ultrasonics....

sorry guys

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 14:56   #7
Dan F
Premier Member

Where did I see that then? I am sure you can do it with some combination of key turning....

The old 400 series had a button on the dash to disable the ultrasonics!

Oh well, perhaps a call to the dealer would be prudent?

Dan.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 15:18   #8
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

why dont you just stick a glob of blue tack over them.

that way you could just pull it off of a night time without the worry of having to remember to turn them back on.

just a thought

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 20:05   #9
VolvoFan
Master Member

Thanks to all contributors to this topic.
Thank you, Mike. Your method of locking with the key did the trick. Perhaps you could tell me how the rocker switch for the electric window (front passenger side)is removed from the centre console. It looks as though the whole central panel containing all the other rocker switches comes away en masse - is this panel just prised out? Or is there some intricate method used to remove it? Cheers.

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 21:34   #10
Mike Clift

I had a look at the switch in the centre console.

I reckon it must just prise out - but I have a horrible feeling it's one of those jobs that looks easier than it will be. I have a picture of lots of little bits flying everywhere as it pops out the console.

If you are going to replace it I'd buy the new one first as that may give a clue.

Glad the key thing worked.