Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Frozen Gearbox Cable XC60

Views : 1056

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2022, 14:11   #1
monkeysfeet

Default Frozen Gearbox Cable XC60

Hi all. So I got into my XC60 (manual) this morning, and couldn't select any gears. Had neutral, and could move from side to side but couldn't put into any gear. It was -7 outside.
So left the car a few hours, and returned once a bit warmer and bingo! All was good again could select all gears, but felt as if I was shifting through treacle.
So, I have spoken to my main dealer who seems to think the issue is moisture in the gearbox cable. All they can offer is to spray with silicone to see if this resolves the issue, but just said it's one of those things and I'll have to live with it.
It was a bit embarrassing when the Mrs in her Renault drives away, but my Scandinavian 4x4 is frozen to the spot!!
Anyone else suffered this, and any other solutions?
Its a 2016 with 65k, manual R design.
Thank you.
monkeysfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2022, 17:11   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Not heard of that problem before..... I'd be included to spray with WD40 as that is specifically a water displacer (hence the name...)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2022, 16:16   #3
The Thong
VOC Member

Two of our Transit Custom’s did that too

TT
Old Dec 24th, 2022, 09:40   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I had similar happen to me with the accelerator cable of a truck, a bit of a 'moment' when one realises the accelerator is stuck at flat out, fortunately it was early morning on the motorway which gave me time to compose myself and bring the truck to a halt going through the gears and standing on the brakes. We found that the cable was attached to the pedal arm behind the front grille and there was no boot on it to stop water getting in, then it was routed in front of the radiator across to the other side of the truck. WD40 helped to free it up but then we had to be sure to repeat the WD40 frequently as a preventative measure. I'm a little surprised that a Volvo has this sort of problem and I'd be inclined to carefully inspect the full length of that cable to be sure it's not damaged anywhere to allow moisture in through the outer sheath or to restrict the cable by being kinked or crushed.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 17:28   #5
Dghani

Default Frozen gearbox

Hi, i experienced frozen gearbox for the first time today in the morning at -2c. I took car to the Volvo garage in Klagenfurt abd the found nothing unusual. I also spoke with my Volvo mechanic in Rome. He was just clueless like his Austrian counterparts. No explanation over this unexpected event. Never happened anything like that to oir other Japanese, Korean cars even at tempeature 17c below zero. Vovlo is expected to survive sub zero temperatures. My car is from 2014 xc60 D4 manual gear
l
Dghani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 11:42   #6
Jim123

Default XC60 frozen

I had this problem January 23 and now again January 24 last year they thought it was the clutch so all was replaced now it’s happened again the thoughts it must be the gearbox cables where does it end I can’t have a car sat on the drive every winter because it’s to cold outside all my neighbours jump into there cars and drive off including fiat 500s me with a Volvo XC60 year 16-17 with 65000 miles on the clock nah I’ll stay in its to cold for a Volvo 🥶
Jim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 17:29   #7
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

One way to determine if it’s the box cables would be to remove the air box and battery ect so you have a clear view of selector and cables. Then using a heat gun warm them and try. Bit of a faff I know but your warming just the cable and not the box to try to isolate the issue.

I have never experienced this issue in any car I’ve owned other than a very cold Cumbrian winter where it was -18 back in 2010 and the gearbox oil had thickened. If your fault isn’t the cables then the box oil would be my next thoughts but the temperatures we have had recently shouldn’t really affect it.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2024, 18:26   #8
Andmurph

My 1990 440i used to have this problem with the hand brake cables every winter!
Koni Active shock absorbers
Andmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 15:48   #9
FreshAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim123 View Post
I had this problem January 23 and now again January 24 last year they thought it was the clutch so all was replaced now it’s happened again the thoughts it must be the gearbox cables where does it end I can’t have a car sat on the drive every winter because it’s to cold outside all my neighbours jump into there cars and drive off including fiat 500s me with a Volvo XC60 year 16-17 with 65000 miles on the clock nah I’ll stay in its to cold for a Volvo 🥶
I had this last week on a 2013 D3 manual gearbox in a V70 when the night before was -6 deg c. Car has done 82,000 miles and has not had the gearbox oil changed (yet).

It was definitely not a clutch issue, just that the lever was like you were moving it through the thickest treacle. Once car was warmed up it was fine, and has been fine since. No noise from transmission either.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote