Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240GLT lpg well pleased

Views : 2029

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2009, 23:08   #1
magneto

Default 240GLT lpg well pleased

Good while back I took my 240 GLT saloon to sunny Anglesey for Mike Brace to convert to lpg. After an initial misfire/rotor arm issue/mixture adjustment this conversion has proved utterly trouble free and very thrifty. Engine oil seems clean for ages! Equivalent to 59mpg. Cheap exhausts don't last much over 12 mths but you get what you pay for I guess. In Stoke we are gifted gas at about 38.5ppl - average wage, though is low too, sadly. Took only 7 months to be better off. Performance is dulled but pressing the petrol button doesn't exactly hurt my neck either. Now if it's possible to have a nitrous oxide tank too I would be all ears! Having said that I have had my fill of folk underestimating how quickly an old Volvo is approaching - pre-abs cadence braking training at it's best....
magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 21:25   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Was this the black GLT?

Sadly NO2 and LPG dont mix. Forsome more go you want a good exhaust system and possibly a cam change for a bit extra.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 03:09   #3
magneto

Hi Mike, It is the dark grey one - I landed you with my bike trailer if you remember. Still haven't decided on converting the 960 yet but will be in touch.
You know, after owning many old Volvo's (still got 4....) I reckon the best engineered is the 240 all things considered. Closely followed by 144 and late 760 joint 2nd. No real experience of Amazons - perhaps tainted by the 'Hillman Minx' feel when I drove one in my youth!
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 10:18   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Mike nolonger uses this Forum since the issues with it having closed etc. If your keeping the 960 it's just costing you money untill you do it.

The 240 is a great car and is more than capable of racking up the miles. You can also still drive hemforalonmg time when things are worn out - hey don'tnormaly completly fail. The amazon is quite a bit like that but these days you do have to bear in mind the newest amazon is nearly 40 years old!
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 12:09   #5
davew

I emailed the "wizards of nos" a while back asking about LPG and Nos.

they said LPG is well suited to NOS. I didnt persue it any further as I got distracted with something else.

So it may well be worth speaking to them to say what they say
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 22:19   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I think you will find they don't fully understand how LPG works.

The problem is when you run NO2 with petrol you put in a lot of extra petrol for cooling. ( a lot of teh fuel is wasted and does not make power just simply cooling the cylinder.

LPG does not have this cooling effect that petrol has beacause it is introduced to the engine in vapour form. Systems that inject LPG in the liquid form are very thin on teh ground and problematic.

In thery it would be possible to use water forcolling but your fueling would also have to be bang on. The slightest lean out and say ta ta to your engine.

The down side with NO2 compared to conventional tuning is it only a short burst and expensive to use. But the power with it is very impressive.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 20:01   #7
magneto

OK then, plan B. Would it be beyond practicality to have a petrol/nitrous option in addition to LPG? Be lovely to have an extra 40bhp albeit for bursts on tap. Just a thought.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 20:22   #8
LankyTim
Missing the point

Where can you get gas in Stoke for 38.5ppl??
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 08:46   #9
magneto

I use Autogas, Salem St., Etruria, Stoke on Trent. Satnav ST1 5PR. There is an adjacent gas supplier too - as you look at them from across the road I use the one on the right. Salem St is near the Sentinel building, it's the road that goes under the dual carriageway.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:24   #10
LankyTim
Missing the point

I know exactly where you mean.. Cheapest ive found so far is Calorgas at Smallthorne, 44ppl.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote