Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Will it fit - Maths question?

Views : 2316

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2011, 10:48   #11
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
Seriously however reversing is your best bet at such a tight manouver. Good luck
I don't know if it is just me but reversing, for an unstated distance, a 25ft caravan around a blind right angle bend on a public road isn't something that I would tackle lightly.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 10:45   #12
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
BUT... only if you reverse it round You'll get a much tighter turn by reversing than you would by going forwards

I don't think that is true. Unless the tyres actually slip, a vehicle going forwards or backwards follows exactly the same tyre tracks.

Imagine filming the sequence, then running the film backwards.

It is true a vehicle is easier to reverse into a tight spot than drive forwards, but on emerging again it will follow exactly the same path.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 13:26   #13
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

Thanks for all the tips folks.

I know/think a mover would be the best bet - that way if the rig doesn't fit around the corner, I can unhitch and swing round corner by hand. Unfortunately, lack of pennies discount this one at the moment.

The lane is a dead-end of a public road, so the wood option would be doable and sounds fun!

Given that i virtually failed my Second Year Art, I doubt the Scale model option would work for me, Jim!

Reversing is a no-go, as the lane rises up, then down to the bend, before continuing down hill.

Anyone want to buy a caravan.....??

Cheers folks.

Ross.
RoscoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 19:15   #14
moncman

I didn't quite understand if you already had the van or it was a prospective purchase. If you have access to that or another van of simliar size get yourself down to a large supermarket style carpark (B&Q, Tesco Extra etc) at 8am on a Sunday and give it a go. Jumpers for goalposts or chalk on the ground. Mark out the meaasurements of the task and try a number of approaches without risk if banging into stuff.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moncman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 13:34   #15
isleaiw
Master Member

Having had a similar problem (before some kind person nicked my caravan!)< i feel for your problem.

I live off an unadopted road that is one car wide and a footpath. I live up a gravel drive that goes off the unadopted road at 90 degrees. I couldnt get the caravan round forward no matter how I tried - if I was wide enough to leave room to swing round the back of the van would hit the wall on the left of the unadopted road as I turned. If i stayed narrower to avoid this, the opposite side of the van tracked too narrow.

I could just get round if I reversed but there was no room for error, so i ended up doing the unhitching piece, but that was hard work with a caravan that was 8 metres (shipping length) long and twin axle! That made me improve my reversing and I did master the art of reversing round - but to be honest, it was one of the reasons i didnt replace the van when it was nicked, too much hassle getting on and off the drive!

Ian
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 14:54   #16
Rick Barton
Master Member

I know this is an oldish thread but I haven't seen anyone point out that if you have to reverse it in, you will probably also have to reverse it out again - and one direction will be uphill I understand. This sounds like a nightmare - I hope that if you try it you are braver than me!
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 15:46   #17
owyn
Premier Member

I can work it out for you but need the width of the van.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 22:07   #18
jiwilson
retired and loving it!

Measure the roads

Layout same on a big (quiet) car park using road paint (b&q)

Try it with car and van in complete safety.

You will need a banksman to watch or video

good luck

Ian