Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Will it fit - Maths question?

Views : 2318

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 14:14   #1
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

Default Will it fit - Maths question?

How can I work out for a car and caravan will fit around a corner??? Without trying it! Story is, my folks store their caravan at the bottom of the Garden, which is accessed via a rear access lane. However, the lane has a 90 degree bend half way along. They currently get their 19 foot (shipping length) caravan and 15foot Volvo car around the bend ok. But the question is, would we get a 24 foot shipping length van around? I don't have a mover, so don't want to try it and get it stuck (it is also on a hill!). I can measure the width of the lane before and after the bend - it is wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass.

Any Thoughts how I can work this out before trying (and failing!)?

Ceers

Ross.
RoscoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 14:17   #2
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Ross,

it WILL fit round mate ... BUT... only if you reverse it round You'll get a much tighter turn by reversing than you would by going forwards

You'll be "pivioting" at the "A" frame & not using the Front wheels of the Volvo to make the turn
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 17:49   #3
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Make a scale drawing of the area and a card out of the car and caravan to try it out.
jim
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 19:04   #4
4 forty
VOC Member

tape a piece of thin wood or similar 5 feet in length to the rear or your 19 foot caravan,positioning it vertically giving you a simulation of a 24 foot one,
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 19:53   #5
andy_d
Premier Member

and please Do get someone to video it when you take the van down there the first time
no, not for us to giggle at, I cant reverse a caravan as well as id like,, i suck at it, but to help YOU see what you cant see from the drivers seat, try it with the smaller van, video it, and preferably with the suggested wooden extention arms
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 20:38   #6
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

keith has the right idea reverse it round you will find it a lot easier than going in forward..
elldis odessey 4 berth tin tent.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:01   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

You can get a vehicle and trailer round a tighter corner if you disconnect at the critical point and then realign the towing vehicle from a different angle and reconnect.
A vehicle with a tow ball on the front bumper helps too.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:22   #8
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

This isn't a simple maths problem but an easy modelling problem.

I am hoping that the lane is very quiet at some time of day & I know this sounds stupid but a little DIY skill & a triangle of timber that replicates the dimensions of the towball and the two outside caravan wheel locations with the third piece of wood as the axle & even the crudest cut out loose screwed wood wheels of even say 6" diameter (or those very cheap trolley wheels sold by Toolstation:
http://www.toolstation.com/documents...7980&submit=Go
would, if tied to the car towball, let you effectively tow the van around the corner & see what happens. I could make this in half an hour & it could save them £000's. Also seeing is believing.

Once you have got the car/ caravan model on the road it would be very easy to track the outside rear corner point around the corner.

If it was me I would use an additional cross piece to give me the front corners & a piece out back to give me the offside rear corner.

I would happily use 2x1in sawn timber (planed is not necessary) purchased from a timber yard or builders merchants who will supply the longer lengths needed here.

Usual disclaimer: I am not offering advice about the legality of this if the road is a public highway.

Last edited by ChrisE; Jun 3rd, 2011 at 10:49.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 17:09   #9
moncman

Quote:
tape a piece of thin wood or similar 5 feet in length to the rear or your 19 foot caravan,positioning it vertically giving you a simulation of a 24 foot one,
Nice idea but it won't work unless the hitch to axle length is exactly the same in both cases.

I also don't think that reversing is a great idea as it requires freedom of movement with the car. Yes you may get the backend of the van round the corner but where is the front of the car in all this? If the lane is tight before and after the 90 degree bend it is probably no better forward or back.

Problem with a caravan as I'm sure you all know is the wheels pivot around the middle. This makes it much more complicated than say an artic where the wheels are at the back as the end swings out as much as the inside wheel cut the corner. I'm sure maths could answer the question but I'm damned if I can work it out????
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 23:59   #10
AlanF

Not very good at maths or reversing I would use a mover then I know it would go round If I didn't have a mover, I would have to fit one. Seriously however reversing is your best bet at such a tight manouver. Good luck

Last edited by AlanF; Jun 4th, 2011 at 00:01.
AlanF is offline   Reply With Quote