Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

never ever ASSUME!!!!

Views : 3344

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2013, 15:23   #11
rnlisg

Default donuts

hi mike
thanks for the reply,i have already got some coming from towsure this week,i will fit them straight away as i am off to lincolnshire for a couple of weeks(i have a date with a lancaster "just jane")for a vip day and taxi run.
hopefully will meet up with "slackey"while up there.
for the record the springs when fully extended are 34mm,slight variation between the top and bottom coils and the middle 2,the ones i have bought cover from 25mm to 39 so have a bit of leeway.
cheers
sandy
rnlisg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rnlisg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 22:00   #12
Ern

I think you have measured the gaps without first disconnecting the roll bar. I went through all this recently when I fitted them. The doughnuts you want are the bigger ones (38mm+). If you fit the middle sized ones they will be too loose and useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlisg View Post
hi mike
thanks for the reply,i have already got some coming from towsure this week,i will fit them straight away as i am off to lincolnshire for a couple of weeks(i have a date with a lancaster "just jane")for a vip day and taxi run.
hopefully will meet up with "slackey"while up there.
for the record the springs when fully extended are 34mm,slight variation between the top and bottom coils and the middle 2,the ones i have bought cover from 25mm to 39 so have a bit of leeway.
cheers
sandy
Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ern For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2013, 08:58   #13
rnlisg

Default donuts

hi ern
thanks for the info,i have used these now on 2 estates,1/ x type jag and 1 volvo,when checking the info on measuring the gap from both graystone and towsure,neither have mentioned disconecting the roll bar?,hopefully,as i am inside the fitting window (size wise) with the set i have ordered i should be ok.
cheers
sandy
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 09:03   #14
Ern

I bought the GE15 and tried to fit them, but found them too tight. I then bought a pair of GE14 and fitted them but they were too loose to achieve anything and I knew they would just fall out. I spoke to Grayston and they assured me GE15 was right. I posted on here for help and someone advised me to disconnect the roll bar - problem solved and the GE15 were fitted (just got them in with much preheating and lashings of washing up liquid - and swearing). I wasted my time and money with the GE14. yes I have used them on previous cars too, but the V70 was the trickiest yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnlisg View Post
hi ern
thanks for the info,i have used these now on 2 estates,1/ x type jag and 1 volvo,when checking the info on measuring the gap from both graystone and towsure,neither have mentioned disconecting the roll bar?,hopefully,as i am inside the fitting window (size wise) with the set i have ordered i should be ok.
cheers
sandy
The Following User Says Thank You to Ern For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 18:01   #15
rnlisg

Default donuts

thanks for that ern,i am hoping to fit them before the weekend.a freind has a workshop with a hoist etc,so will go round and hopefully have a crack at it,i will try one first(and keep it sqeaky clean)in case it is loose,so i can return it
for the next size up.i will post the result.
cheers
sandy
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 17:52   #16
rnlisg

Default donuts

well they are on,not the original set,as ern surmised they would be too small,spot on they were.so went out and got the next size up(40-50mm)
took a lot of fairy and heaving(a few goly goshies)as you do,! and they were on.very tight,took the car for a run down a very bumpy road to help them settle,and all seems ok,will be hitching van up for the lincoln visit(campney grange cl)so there should not be any bottoming out.
thanks to all for input
sandy.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 20:40   #17
Ern

Did you have to disconnect the roll bar, or did you force them in the hard way?
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 00:49   #18
stuartggray
StuartGray

I've just fitted a set of Grayston GE15s to my V70. Didn't need to boil them or use lubricant.
I jacked the car up, took off the wheel and pushed the rubber in at the top of the spring, but pushed it in to go up the way. I had previously done it going down the way which didn't work. The spring gap gets wider the closer to the top on my car. There is a big plastic surround at the top which the rubber fitted under once in place. Once I had pushed it all in, which was really simple with no effort required, I then shoved the whole rubber down the way until it became tight in the spring.
I put the wheel back on, lowered the car and off we went!
Past - 1991 740 GL Estate Auto 2.0l
Past - 1985 240 GL Estate 5 Speed 2.3l
stuartggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 18:34   #19
rnlisg

Default donuts

hi ern
we disconected it,but it was still a bit tight,the difference was noticable with the van on the back,it sat slightly nose down,which i prefer,and it felt better towing wise(no pitching),roughly the same as when i had my 07/p2 xc70 with the nivo,s.