Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cheap Genuine D5 (and others) Oil Filter

Views : 6712

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2017, 08:27   #41
ksmi
Master Member

Smile man filters

Hello and good morning Simon,
the filter part no's are- oil 9125224 & fuel 31262351 both for T.D.I

did you see spurs and man who?
Regards,keith.
Old May 15th, 2017, 18:16   #42
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
Hello and good morning Simon,
the filter part no's are- oil 9125224 & fuel 31262351 both for T.D.I

did you see spurs and man who?
Regards,keith.
No, I didn't really catch any football this weekend. I just watched the Women's FA Cup Final on Saturday.

Here's your parts.....
9125224 Mann Part No. W1130/3

31262351 Mann Part No. WK845/1

You can access the Mann online catalogue by clicking here.
Just enter your Volvo (or any manufacturer's) part number in the search box.
Old May 15th, 2017, 19:03   #43
ksmi
Master Member

Smile man filters

Hi Simon,
thanks very much for that information,very kind of you.

regards,Keith.
Old May 15th, 2017, 19:31   #44
Simmy
Premier Member

whats football ?
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 10:07   #45
rcpilot

I think Cheshired5 is sniffing the oil instead of putting it into his engine, yes the filters are identical but it is the seal that comes in the box with the filter that is different, the "x" filter seal has a cross section in the shape of the letter O, the "y" filter seal has a cross section in the shape of an elipse and there lies the difference. the "y" seal is larger top to bottom than it is side to side.
I don't know why Volvo made the oil filter housing seals different but if you fit a"x" filter seal into a "y" filter housing it could leak and using an old seal is not advisable.
Lets say you are diving down a motorway and you car is supposed to have a "y" filter seal in but you have put a "x" filter seal in it, the oil starts to leak all over your hot engine, it could start a fire and if you do not have a fire extinguisher it would take a long time before the fire brigade could get to you so you have lost your car, worst case your car could explode and 'you' have gone to the big garage in the sky. nuff said but the answer is use what volvo say to use when repairing and servicing your car.
rcpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 20:11   #46
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Wtaf?
Right filter for the car, from the same manufacturer, contents of the box are the same, only the printing of the box is different. Why would a top filter company who were responsible for the filtration system at design/build supply a different seal to the one required?
Never seen an oval O-ring other than how used ones can come out after being squashed and heated for thousands of miles. Further, a round section O-ring would seal better unless it was thinner, which it isn't, cos its a standard o-ring for a std filter housing, supplied by the same company.
Further further, who does their own servicing and doesn't check for leaks before doing a long run? What garage that isn't sh1te doesn't check the same before sending it out?
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 21:40   #47
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot View Post
I think Cheshired5 is sniffing the oil instead of putting it into his engine, yes the filters are identical but it is the seal that comes in the box with the filter that is different, the "x" filter seal has a cross section in the shape of the letter O, the "y" filter seal has a cross section in the shape of an elipse and there lies the difference. the "y" seal is larger top to bottom than it is side to side.
I don't know why Volvo made the oil filter housing seals different but if you fit a"x" filter seal into a "y" filter housing it could leak and using an old seal is not advisable.
Lets say you are diving down a motorway and you car is supposed to have a "y" filter seal in but you have put a "x" filter seal in it, the oil starts to leak all over your hot engine, it could start a fire and if you do not have a fire extinguisher it would take a long time before the fire brigade could get to you so you have lost your car, worst case your car could explode and 'you' have gone to the big garage in the sky. nuff said but the answer is use what volvo say to use when repairing and servicing your car.
You do realise that Volvo don't manufacture filters? So the filter you buy in the dealership wasn't actually made by them, it was made by another company like Mann etc. In Volvo's case, the Mann oil filter is the exact same as you would buy in a Volvo dealership & so are the seals. So much so, that I've come across oil filters that have both Volvo & Mann stamped on them.

I've never done an oil change using a Mann filter that had a different seal to the one I've taken off, whether the part I was replacing was an 'original' part or not.
Old May 31st, 2020, 21:55   #48
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Overpage back in 2016/17 there's an interesting exchange that's worth reading re X&Y.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2020, 09:20   #49
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Overpage back in 2016/17 there's an interesting exchange that's worth reading re X&Y.
I see, missed that, but then one should verify part number, anything different should be checked.
But, the point still stands, same filter and seals for same part number, not different oe/aftermarket. Just a little ambiguity with almost identical numbers.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 17:18   #50
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

run it without the seal for weight reduction
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d5 oil filter