Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026917

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2020, 12:19   #1041
Othen
Premier Member

Default 1990 240 Wiring Diagram

Dave,

I don't know if you have been following this thread:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...94#post2628094

It looks like the chap's instrument cluster is wired to the interior lighting rheostat. Do you have a wiring diagram for the 1990 car (my copy I have is the one you sent me for MY1980 - probably much the same, but it would be a good idea to check).

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2020, 14:09   #1042
Othen
Premier Member

Default Parcelforce!

Having maligned Parcelforce this morn, I'd given up on seeing the cylinder head today, so I took Bob for a long walk. Imagine my surprise when the doorbell rang (on my phone) while we were out walking - it was the Parcelforce chap at my front door with: a B21a cylinder head. The helpful chap left it under my motorbike trailer, and we (Bob and I) have just come home to Xmas day:

It all looks good.

It is probably too late to start the job and have it finished before I forget where all the bits to this afternoon (darn dementia), so I'll probably just put the RB up on some ramps to make everything a bit easier to get to, sort out the access and maybe put the studs into the head ready for a day at it tomorrow.

Yippee!

Alan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2020, 15:01   #1043
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Yay!!! I thought you'd get it today! Good to hear the Law of Sod is alive and well and waited for you and Bob to go out before sending the driver rond with it.

I've had a look for a 1990 240 diagram but can't find one Alan, it would be helpful to see photos of where the voltmeter is fitted on that one you refer to as i think (but might be wrong) it's meant to be integral with the instruments and should therefore pick up the feeds from the instruments with no other wiring involved.
He's obviously got a backfeed somewhere, perhaps on the bulb killing the tacho signal.

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...g_diagrams.pdf

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2020, 16:26   #1044
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Yay!!! I thought you'd get it today! Good to hear the Law of Sod is alive and well and waited for you and Bob to go out before sending the driver rond with it.

I've had a look for a 1990 240 diagram but can't find one Alan, it would be helpful to see photos of where the voltmeter is fitted on that one you refer to as i think (but might be wrong) it's meant to be integral with the instruments and should therefore pick up the feeds from the instruments with no other wiring involved.
He's obviously got a backfeed somewhere, perhaps on the bulb killing the tacho signal.

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...g_diagrams.pdf
Yes, good news!

I've started doing a bit of prep: car on stands, water drained, all 6 of the bolts that secure the crank pulley cracked, and all 8 of the exhaust manifold bolts cracked 1/4 turn, belts off, plugs out and timing marker re-painted with tippex. I think that will do for today.

Thank you for the wiring diagrams - I've printed through what I think are the relevant pages and will have a look at them this eve. I'm trying to get the OP to do some methodical checks to work out what is wrong, but so far he hasn't. The first thing is to disconnect the 2 connections to the voltmeter and see if everything reverts to normal, I don't know why, but he hasn't done that yet.

You think it is a back feed issue? I'd considered that, but wanted the OP to do a few simple checks to see if there is a wiring issue first. I'll keep trying.

Stay safe,

Alan
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2020, 16:55   #1045
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Yes, good news!

I've started doing a bit of prep: car on stands, water drained, all 6 of the bolts that secure the crank pulley cracked, and all 8 of the exhaust manifold bolts cracked 1/4 turn, belts off, plugs out and timing marker re-painted with tippex. I think that will do for today.

Thank you for the wiring diagrams - I've printed through what I think are the relevant pages and will have a look at them this eve. I'm trying to get the OP to do some methodical checks to work out what is wrong, but so far he hasn't. The first thing is to disconnect the 2 connections to the voltmeter and see if everything reverts to normal, I don't know why, but he hasn't done that yet.

You think it is a back feed issue? I'd considered that, but wanted the OP to do a few simple checks to see if there is a wiring issue first. I'll keep trying.

Stay safe,

Alan
Good work on the prep, i'd be inclined to give all the fasteners another dose of WMP now you've cracked them 1/4 turn - don't forget to give it a good shake first!

As for mateys problem, i suspect he's somehow used a signal for the tacho as an earth for either the bulb or the voltmeter. Alternatively while he's been pulling wiring about, he's dislodged a plug on the instrument cluster so he's losing an earth and causing the back feed that way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 12th, 2020, 17:57   #1046
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Good work on the prep, i'd be inclined to give all the fasteners another dose of WMP now you've cracked them 1/4 turn - don't forget to give it a good shake first!

As for mateys problem, i suspect he's somehow used a signal for the tacho as an earth for either the bulb or the voltmeter. Alternatively while he's been pulling wiring about, he's dislodged a plug on the instrument cluster so he's losing an earth and causing the back feed that way.
Exactly Dave, I've just cracked the studs and given them another soak overnight, I think they will all come out okay.

I took the cam belt cover off to paint the timing marks and spent about 20 minutes trying to locate the auxiliary shaft one on the cover - I knew it was there somewhere, just couldn't see it. I had to find it by touch with a small, sharp screwdriver in the end. Mr Volvo made that one a bit hard:

[IMG][/IMG]

I noticed the previous change had been for a Volvo belt, good I thought - I'll just use that to check everything lines up. Quite a few revolutions of the crank later I realised that the previous fitter had not bothered to use the timing marks on the belt - I don't know why:

No matter, they are only an aide, but why not use them if they are there?

I'm not sure about the 1990 car electrical problem. I have a feeling the car may not have been wired properly before fitting the voltmeter (he seemed a bit vague about noticing the tachometer and lighting previously), but I need for him to disconnect the voltmeter to check first.

It could be a back feed issue, but if it hasn't been wired properly some time in the past then that should be quite easy to diagnose - if I can get the chap to be a bit more methodical.

I'll look through the wiring diagrams later and see if I can work out why there might be some cross-talk between two circuits.

Stay safe.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; May 12th, 2020 at 17:59.
Old May 12th, 2020, 19:05   #1047
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I noticed the previous change had been for a Volvo belt, good I thought - I'll just use that to check everything lines up. Quite a few revolutions of the crank later I realised that the previous fitter had not bothered to use the timing marks on the belt - I don't know why:

No matter, they are only an aide, but why not use them if they are there?
Whoever fitted the Volvo belt probably did use the marks Alan. You may have noticed as you turned, the relative position of each mark moved in relation to the pulleys.

Total number of teeth on the pulleys is different to the toal number of teeth so the marks will move relative to the points they represent on the pulleys. If you think about it, you'll see what i mean.

If there were only two pulleys, they would line up more frequently but with three, that increases the lining up intervals. Just to check, the new belt you've got has got square teeth?

Old May 12th, 2020, 19:42   #1048
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Whoever fitted the Volvo belt probably did use the marks Alan. You may have noticed as you turned, the relative position of each mark moved in relation to the pulleys.

Total number of teeth on the pulleys is different to the toal number of teeth so the marks will move relative to the points they represent on the pulleys. If you think about it, you'll see what i mean.

If there were only two pulleys, they would line up more frequently but with three, that increases the lining up intervals. Just to check, the new belt you've got has got square teeth?
Roger - how daft of me, of course the marks will migrate. It must be the dementia.

Alan

PS. I had not realised I was supposed to get a toothed belt.

Last edited by Othen; May 12th, 2020 at 20:23.
Old May 12th, 2020, 20:58   #1049
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I had not realised I was supposed to get a toothed belt.
There are two types of timing belt Alan, those with square teeth and those with round teeth. Thee days many sellers will supply the round toothed version "by default" as that's what the later cars use and they forget there are older cars out there with square teeth.

Worth checking the belt you've got to make sure you've got the square toothed version.

Old May 12th, 2020, 21:37   #1050
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
There are two types of timing belt Alan, those with square teeth and those with round teeth. Thee days many sellers will supply the round toothed version "by default" as that's what the later cars use and they forget there are older cars out there with square teeth.

Worth checking the belt you've got to make sure you've got the square toothed version.
... I had an old belt that I bought for for the cement mixer but didn't get round to using Dave, I measured it with a tape out of the sewing kit and it is about the right length...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: