Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026865

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2020, 23:25   #1161
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you John,

It looks like my very rough calculation of gear ratios was a long way out, no matter, 2700RPM at 70MPH waould be lovely.

The conversion to the AW71 box looks to have a few problems, this article is quite good (it is for a 260 but I suspect most the issues would be the same):

https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=332124

I see your point about a manual conversion John, but to make it worthwhile it would have to be to a 5 speeder, which I suspect would have similar problems to the AW71. I quite like an auto box (my other cars are both 6 speed manuals, so I like driving something different in the RB).

As I said to Dave above, I’m at a fork in the road with the RB project. I can either modernise it (4 speed auto, plus... where would I stop) or I tinker with it as I have done so far but keep the car more or less standard (maybe I spend some money on a respray to make it look nice instead?).

The good thing is the RB is running nicely with the new head, the ignition, fuel and cooling systems all sorted, so I don’t need to make any hasty decision because something has failed.

This isn’t really a cost issue - I’m happy to invest a couple of grand in the RB project.

Stay safe,

Alan
Crikey, i took ages typing my last reply! Good find on that Turbobricks thread, useful to know my suspicions about swapping the rear extension housing (tailcone as he calls it) to sort the speedo were correct.

That makes life easier in many respects. As for the selector lever and his mods, there might be a better way, i'll re-read it tomorrow and see what i come up with.

As for "Where do you stop"? Well that's easy - when you're happy that it does what you want it to. I haven't mentioned stuffing quadruple motorbike carbs on instead of the twin choke Weber but i daresay it's crossed your mind!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 23:26   #1162
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Sorry, Alan, I wasn't suggesting for one moment that you convert TO a manual! Far from it, I was thinking more that you may be able to pick up a good auto box from someone who has already carried that conversion and been unable to sell the auto box that they had removed.

Regards, John.
I do happen to know of one that will become available in the not too distant future, possible with the propshaft too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 23:42   #1163
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I do happen to know of one that will become available in the not too distant future, possible with the propshaft too.
Do you think that we might persuade Alan on this one then, 'L.S.'? J.
Old May 27th, 2020, 23:50   #1164
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I hope so John, it will transform the RB into something that can cope with motorways much more easily and also make A road cruising at 55-60mph much more pleasant too.

Old May 28th, 2020, 06:14   #1165
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Sorry, Alan, I wasn't suggesting for one moment that you convert TO a manual! Far from it, I was thinking more that you may be able to pick up a good auto box from someone who has already carried that conversion and been unable to sell the auto box that they had removed.

Regards, John.

Ahhhh! The penny has dropped!
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2020, 06:39   #1166
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Crikey, i took ages typing my last reply! Good find on that Turbobricks thread, useful to know my suspicions about swapping the rear extension housing (tailcone as he calls it) to sort the speedo were correct.

That makes life easier in many respects. As for the selector lever and his mods, there might be a better way, i'll re-read it tomorrow and see what i come up with.

As for "Where do you stop"? Well that's easy - when you're happy that it does what you want it to. I haven't mentioned stuffing quadruple motorbike carbs on instead of the twin choke Weber but i daresay it's crossed your mind!
Many thanks for the previous one re your Rover Dave, that has come out really nicely.

You have some really good points about the RB. I'm fortunate in that nothing needs to be changed quickly: I have all the parts, they are all working and fitted in the right place (well, now they are). It is fun car that I like and enjoy, I wasn't for a moment suggesting I'll sell it (Dan will do that when he winds up my estate), and certainly wasn't thinking of a 700 (the 240 is the car I want - for the nostalgia).

The radiator changes: yes, that is a separate issue from the auto box, it makes sense anyway. I have a shopping list of parts (due to you Dave, many thanks) that I'll get assembled ready and probably fit during the winter break (I'll probably SORN the RB Nov-Mar, so it will give me a little job to do). By the way Corby Hose & Hydraulics didn't come up with better solution, so the plumbing fittings will be just fine). Again the original transmission cooling system seems to be working fine, so I'm not in a desperate rush to fix it.

I liked the Turbobricks article - and it was good news about the speedo drive. I'm thinking the main seal will need changing sometime anyway (changing to 20W50 has cured the weep it had, but these things rarely fix themselves completely in the longer term). The transmission will have to come off one day - maybe this year's winter break, maybe winter 2021/2. If I decide to go the AW70/71 way then that would be a sensible time to do it. I'll read the article again today Dave.

Two weeks ago I thought I had a big problem with the RB (exhaust gas in the coolant) - but that is completely fixed for well under £200 and a couple of days of my time. Now I'm enjoying the RB the way Mr Volvo made it 40 years ago (and I can see what he meant). I agree completely that 3750RPM was completely acceptable 40 years ago because all autos did that - but it isn't any more.

I'm weighing all this up (in the Army: appreciating the situation) - fortunately for me the RB is fine and a fun car in the meantime, not pushing me into a corner via an impending mechanical failure.

Stay safe,

Alan
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2020, 06:44   #1167
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Quote:
You two really and an excellent source of both knowledge and inspiration. Without this forum (and in particular you two, and some others that have assisted from time to time) I'd still be muddling around trying to get the Royal Barge to run properly and maybe bodging things the way the PO did.

Many thanks, the RB is in a good place.

Stay safe,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; May 28th, 2020 at 08:30. Reason: Spelling error.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2020, 11:52   #1168
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
By the way Corby Hose & Hydraulics didn't come up with better solution, so the plumbing fittings will be just fine). Again the original transmission cooling system seems to be working fine, so I'm not in a desperate rush to fix it.

I liked the Turbobricks article - and it was good news about the speedo drive. I'm thinking the main seal will need changing sometime anyway (changing to 20W50 has cured the weep it had, but these things rarely fix themselves completely in the longer term). The transmission will have to come off one day - maybe this year's winter break, maybe winter 2021/2. If I decide to go the AW70/71 way then that would be a sensible time to do it.

I agree completely that 3750RPM was completely acceptable 40 years ago because all autos did that - but it isn't any more.

Alan
Plumbing fittings? They're bona fide hydraulic fittings i found Alan, can also be used for pneumatics and gas.

I was going to suggest that when you changed the gearbox, for the extra 6 bolts, take the drive plate (automatics version of a flywheel) off the crank and renew the rear crank seal.

Back in 1980, most 2.0 manuals ran about 20mph/1000rpm so 70mph equated to 3500rpm so 3750rpm in an auto wouldn't have been out of the way at all. In fact most autos up to about 3.0 did as well.

I know of a few exceptions but once you got above 3.0, things changed dramatically, 25 and even 30mph/1000rpm were the norm. A 4.2 Jag for example would have been doing 112.5mph @ 3750rpm and an SD1 V8 would have been doing 93.5mph at the same engine speed.

It was seen as a luxury thing to have relaxed cruising, now it's seen as an economy thing so manufacturers followed that idea and many owners of classics ranging from the smallest to the biggest have retro-fitted 4-speed overdrive autos. It's very popular in the Stag fraternity i believe, using the ZF 4HP22 from the later Range Rovers and similar. Volvo also used the same box on the 740 so that might be an option instead of the AW70/71 but for preference, the AW70 or 71 would be better.

Old May 28th, 2020, 12:21   #1169
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laird scooby View Post
plumbing fittings?
Nice reply ...

Now. I gave the superbly relevant suggestion of checking for anything even better. Otherwise Othen might have had an ongoing niggle as to what might have been.

BUT. For the avoidance of doubt. I would not deride David's proposed fittings.

Comrade Stephen Edwin

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2020, 13:35   #1170
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Nice reply ...

Now. I gave the superbly relevant suggestion of checking for anything even better.

Comrade Stephen Edwin
Yes but only after i'd already provided the link to the hydraulic fittings!