Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

]Volvo 2009 C30 SRS Airbag Urgent Warning Light On! Help!

Views : 1195

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 4th, 2020, 19:57   #1
anacortesian

Default ]Volvo 2009 C30 SRS Airbag Urgent Warning Light On! Help!

Newbie here.
I just bought this 2009 C30 (2.5L Geartronic) 6 months ago from a private party. The car just had it's 60,000 inspection at the dealer a month earlier and the only issue advised was low cranking amps on an older battery. The car started and ran fine so I put off replacing the battery for a later date. Then about two weeks ago the battery finally dies. Understandable. Luckily it died while the car is parked in my garage. So there was no towing or jump starting...I simply went out and bought a decent new battery, came home and replaced it myself in the garage. Remembering to remove the negative terminal first as well. And all was okay. The car started and ran fine.

A day later...the urgent warning air bag light comes on and what I've come to understand as the dreaded "SRS-CFFF code - control module internal fault". But this appears to me to be out of the blue as there was no crash or airbag deployment, no radio removal or any electrical work done, no liquids spilled on the center console, and the instrument cluster is working properly.

Now, as I am new to this car...I think I remember there may have been an occasional OWS (occupant weight sensor) "passenger airbag off" light that would come on on the overhead intermittently, even with a lightweight occupant ...but I believe that condition cleared itself somehow as I recently tested the passenger seat with ME sitting in it and the overhead light seems to be functioning properly.
So (my) CFFF issue...seems to be a spontaneous failure with the urgent warning light just coming on. Possibly corrupted software for some reason. And of course it cannot be cleared either with my iCarsoft SRS reader/scanner... or with the dealership's VIDA scanner.
I was advised not to purchase a used module as I was told your module is married to your vehicle and another vehicles module will not work properly in your vehicle (you may see more codes). That said...

I ask: Has anyone (particularly our mates in the UK) had any experience with the Crashdata.com.uk company in Liverpool? They say they will "repair" -clear the hard code(s) if you send them the module...but it's an "as is" situation ...they cannot warranty and you wonder if you don't the cause of the initial failure...what's to prevent it from reoccurring again?
And most importantly, does anyone know where I can find some basic instructions online to remove the center console under which the module is located. I saw a photo procedure ( I think it was on facebook)...but that was for the S40-V40...and he had his entire "waterfall display" removed (I'm hoping that was for another issue) But I find nothing for the C30 specifically and am wondering if that video is the same procedure?

As you can imagine...any help or advice would be extremely appreciated!

Last edited by anacortesian; Jun 4th, 2020 at 21:22.
anacortesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 20:32   #2
emlyno

Can recommend Crashdata.
Search 'crashdata' on this forum to see other posts.
emlyno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emlyno For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 22:33   #3
KevMan2015

I can recommend crashdata also, same issue as yourself, battery died then srs warning. Go to site, purchase the option to require, which is to removed the fault you have, remove your unit and send to them guys in Liverpool. Excellent service and posted back to me same day. Getting unit out is difficult bit.
KevMan2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevMan2015 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 00:52   #4
anacortesian

have you yourself gone through this ordeal?
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 09:21   #5
KevMan2015

Yes I went through this about January this year, it had no effect on driving but obviously if anything bad was to happen, you would know about it.
Crashdata sorted it really quickly.
KevMan2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevMan2015 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 17:16   #6
anacortesian

Thanks to all for your replies...I have found a good guide for removing the center console too...here's the link for anyone who needs it
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...ments_Bookmark

Looks like CrashData.co.uk wins the group trust award.

I'll go there.

I have a new post on a buzzing sound after replacing a battery.

Last edited by anacortesian; Jun 5th, 2020 at 17:55.