Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailshaft for a Volvo 740 with M47

Views : 676

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2020, 01:38   #1
SLT

Default Tailshaft for a Volvo 740 with M47

Hi all,

Greetings from Australia!

I have a 1987 Volvo 740, currently with the AW70L transmission. I am doing a manual swap at the moment to the M47 5 speed.

I have managed to get all the parts together, but the tailshaft is proving to be rather problematic.

The 5 speed M47 740 was very rare in Australia, so it is pretty much impossible to find a tailshaft for it anywhere!

I thought I'd try the UK or Europe.

As far as i'm concerned, the rear portion of the auto shaft will fit, so realistically i only need the front portion that connects to the gearbox through the guibo.

I understand freight will be expensive, but i am willing to pay it as i'm in a corner at the moment and can't continue the conversation without the tailshaft.

If anyone has one, or perhaps you know of a UK/ European supplier who would have one that fit, your responses would be much oblidged.

Thank you.
SLT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SLT For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 03:50   #2
SLT

Default Tailshaft

Hi Jor,

It doesn't allow me to send private messages as i have less than 30 posts, so I'm replying here.

I'd appreciate it a lot! I'm also after a crossmember for the M47 740, so if you could inquire about that, that'd be great.

I've tried the U.S. but it seems it's even worse than Australia...

I think something like 85-90% of all 740s sold in Australia were autos, and the odd 10% that were manuals were mostly M46s, so it's really a pain in the backside to find any M47 parts in Australia. Though, on 240s they are quite common.

As far as I'm concerned, i can use the back portion of my AW70 tailshaft and you can do so on 940's too. The front portion of the tailshaft is really what i'm after, but i'll take the back portion too to avoid any extra modifications.
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 12:33   #3
crogthomas
Master Member

I think the easiest solution here would be to get the existing part you have lengthened/shortened as appropriate locally. There are propshaft companies everywhere to cater for race cars and commercial vehicle builders. All you need to do is work out what length you need.
crogthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crogthomas For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 11:40   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crogthomas View Post
I think the easiest solution here would be to get the existing part you have lengthened/shortened as appropriate locally. There are propshaft companies everywhere to cater for race cars and commercial vehicle builders. All you need to do is work out what length you need.
I beg to differ, the OP has already posted the ideal solution :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLT View Post
I think something like 85-90% of all 740s sold in Australia were autos, and the odd 10% that were manuals were mostly M46s, so it's really a pain in the backside to find any M47 parts in Australia. Though, on 240s they are quite common.
Just get an M47 from a 240, job done! Why did the 740 box not have its tailshaft fitted? Or is it mangled? If it's mangled, what state is the rest of the box in and is it worth fitting without a full stripdown and rebuild?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 13:39   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If it is a tailshaft you need I have plenty of gearboxes here to take one from but fairly sure that is not want you want

Fairly certian it is a front half of teh prop shaft you are looking for
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 14:36   #6
crogthomas
Master Member

Yes, I assumed SLT meant propshaft.
"need the front portion that connects to the gearbox through the guibo"

They are easy to get modified to different lengths and the joints are all fairly standard parts, so you could probably even get one made if you wanted.
crogthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crogthomas For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 15:28   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crogthomas View Post
Yes, I assumed SLT meant propshaft.
"need the front portion that connects to the gearbox through the guibo"

They are easy to get modified to different lengths and the joints are all fairly standard parts, so you could probably even get one made if you wanted.
It's a bit ambiguous but it sounds like he's been sold an incomplete gerbox. As he's converting to manual, it would have made good sense to get the manual propshaft from the donor vehicle when he got the gearbox, pedal box, selector lver, clutch hydraulics and so on.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 03:19   #8
SLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's a bit ambiguous but it sounds like he's been sold an incomplete gerbox. As he's converting to manual, it would have made good sense to get the manual propshaft from the donor vehicle when he got the gearbox, pedal box, selector lver, clutch hydraulics and so on.
The gearbox in question which i got was from a 240, so the propshaft will not fit at all.

I have a 740 shifter cage and a 740 shifter linkage, so the gearbox will now go in with no problems at all - its just the propshaft that's missing.

Freight from UK + price of the propshaft will STILL be cheaper than getting a custom made propshaft as its around $500 here (roughly 250 pounds), whereas freight from the UK to Australia for a propshaft will roughly be $100 (50 pounds).

Classicswede, have you got a front propshaft that will suit a 740? Let me know.