Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to - Roof rails removal/fitting guide

Views : 8391

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2007, 16:08   #1
XR33GTS

Default How to - Roof rails removal/fitting guide

Just swapped mine over and thought I'd take some pics so people know what to expect.

Step 1 - To remove the roof rails (assuming you're removing them yourself), you need to remove the 6 plastic covers to get access to the 6 Torx25 screws (use a small screwdriver to lever the top of the 3 covers on each rail). There should also be a plastic cover that pulls off the rear of each rail that tidys the ends.

Step 2 - There are clips under the rails and you need to pull the rail over towards you to release them.

Step 3 - This should leave you with a front section of gutter trim that you need to get your fingers under and pull it over towards you (kind of a rolling motion is easiest).

Assuming that some of the clips are left on the rails/trim, just keep the corresponding empty plastic clips for re-fitting.

Removing the gutter trim is the same as removing the gutter trim in step 3, but you work your way from the rear of the car to the front. There are 10 clips on the roof and 4 on the pillar, each spaced about 6 inches apart.

Fitting is the reverse, but if you've only got the rails themselves and not the front section of trim, you may want to hacksaw your original trims so that they are long enough to fit under the rails by 1 cm (might be an idea to take them off the car to do this.....). There were only 4 clips on each of the rails on my car (2 on each of the gaps between the screws) and it was easiest to line the screw holes up and push the clips back into place to keep the rails from moving when re-fitting the torx screws (make sure the metal tabs on the screws are at the top, as these keep the screw covers on).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2070093.JPG (17.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg P2070096.JPG (17.6 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg P2070099.JPG (17.9 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg P2070101.JPG (26.1 KB, 376 views)

Last edited by XR33GTS; Feb 7th, 2007 at 16:28.
XR33GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XR33GTS For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 18:49   #2
V70 TDI Matt

Nice guide,just removed mine to replace the seals which cost under a tenner from volvo.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 17:40   #3
Pete_T5

I've just fitted some roof rails to my V70 but one of them needs a new front seal section. Can you get this section seperately ?

Old Jul 31st, 2012, 18:34   #4
riffbiker

Addendum to XR33GTS's Excellent Feature:

I needed to remove the front section of gutter trim in order to replace it, due to the common problem of the grey plasticised paint cracking and flaking. This 850 estate is fitted with roof rails.

It is totally possible to remove the front gutter trims WITHOUT removing the roof rails.

Start at the front of the trim by the bonnet, with the bonnet open. Slide your fingers under the windscreen glass side of the gutter trim and slowly move them up the A-pillar. Use the gentle 'rolling motion' described, gently rolling up the trim from the glass side towards the outside of the car with a 'rocking' motion. There are four clips that will ease open. It is not that difficult, just be careful. Be especially careful as you approach the curve into the roof.

There is just one clip on the roof before the roof rail begins. For the offside (UK), don't 'roll' the trim here, instead gently slide it forward towards the front of the car. The clip carrier should detach from the body of the car and remain attached to the gutter trim. On the O/S, the clip carriers release from the body by sliding them forward/down the A-pillar towards the bonnet.

For the nearside (UK), ease the trim forward and backward slightly, the clip carrier may release from the body of the car, you may need to help it with a small screwdriver. If not, you will need to ease the trim from the metal clip. On the N/S, the clip carriers release from the body by sliding them backwards/up the A-pillar towards the roof. Be careful not to bend the trim where it fits beneath the leading edge of the roof rails.

There is a rubber spacer that fits to the back of the trim near the roof rails, note carefully its orientation before removing so you refit it the correct way around. Similarly, note the plastic clip carriers: there are four cream coloured ones on each A-pillar and one grey one before the roof rails. The grey one is a different thickness (being thinner) to the cream ones. Yellow ones are on the roof itself, but you will not see these if only removing the front gutter trim. You may need some spare clip carriers and the metal clips that fit to them and the gutter trim - these are still available at time of writing from Volvo. They vary with the chassis number so have that with you when buying parts.

When refitting, fit the metal clips to the clip carriers and the clip carriers to the car. Use some rubber lubricant (I used vaseline) on the metal clips to ease assembly. Insert the gutter trim under the leading edge of the roof rails but do NOT press into the clips yet. Locate the front edge of the trim so it is in line with the rubber seal at the bottom of the windscreen and with the trim flange located loosely on the metal clips. Then press in from the bottom up the A-pillar to the roof rails, it will snap in easily.

Finally, if you are cutting a full length gutter trim to fit roof rails that were not originally fitted, note the gutter trim should NOT be cut square across. Shape the cut so there is about one centimetre of the rear flange alone protruding beyond the rest of the trim, this keys into slots beneath the leading edge of the roof rails to centralise and locate the gutter trims.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by riffbiker; Jul 31st, 2012 at 18:37.
riffbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to riffbiker For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 20:46   #5
850T5R ESTATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR33GTS View Post
Just swapped mine over and thought I'd take some pics so people know what to expect.

Step 1 - To remove the roof rails (assuming you're removing them yourself), you need to remove the 6 plastic covers to get access to the 6 Torx25 screws (use a small screwdriver to lever the top of the 3 covers on each rail). There should also be a plastic cover that pulls off the rear of each rail that tidys the ends.

Step 2 - There are clips under the rails and you need to pull the rail over towards you to release them.

Step 3 - This should leave you with a front section of gutter trim that you need to get your fingers under and pull it over towards you (kind of a rolling motion is easiest).

Assuming that some of the clips are left on the rails/trim, just keep the corresponding empty plastic clips for re-fitting.

Removing the gutter trim is the same as removing the gutter trim in step 3, but you work your way from the rear of the car to the front. There are 10 clips on the roof and 4 on the pillar, each spaced about 6 inches apart.

Fitting is the reverse, but if you've only got the rails themselves and not the front section of trim, you may want to hacksaw your original trims so that they are long enough to fit under the rails by 1 cm (might be an idea to take them off the car to do this.....). There were only 4 clips on each of the rails on my car (2 on each of the gaps between the screws) and it was easiest to line the screw holes up and push the clips back into place to keep the rails from moving when re-fitting the torx screws (make sure the metal tabs on the screws are at the top, as these keep the screw covers on).
Hi XR33GTS, I am a new VOC member and only received my membership docs etc. today, the other evening I read your excellent advice on removing roof rails/trim, mine is a slightly different need in that I don't have roof rails on my 1998 V70, but need to remove the gutter trims to clean out underneath/wax treat and refit trims. The other evening when I looked there were 4 JPG photos to further assist with your description, but I couldn't access them as it was before I received my registration docs, I've looked tonight and the JPG photos have gone, are you able to advise/help on this. Hoping you can help, 850T5R ESTATE.
850T5R ESTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 21:12   #6
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
It says that XR33GTS has not been online since 2009 so it is highly unlikely they will return to this forum.
Many pictures have been removed from the forum following a server change so sadly, many postings such as this are becoming less valuable.
As for removing the trims, I have never carried this work out therefore I cannot help any further but hopefully some more knowledgable soul will be along to help, I too would like to do this.
Welcome to the forum.
Cheers
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 23:59   #7
AcidicDavey
Younger Member

Removing the trims is a piece of cake, you simply get your fingers under them and lift them up.

On the bottom of the trims you have some metal clips which clip into plastic bits that slide onto pegs on the car. When you lift the trim you'll find the plastic bits will still be attached to the car, if one or two come off don't worry just slide them back into their place. It really is dead easy and explaining it is probably making it sound more complicated than it is!

Here are a couple of pics anyway so you know what to find, they're quite poor but you should get the idea.

AcidicDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcidicDavey For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 00:09   #8
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Hello,
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Nice cat in the second photo
Cheers
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OvlovS70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 11:43   #9
Max M4X WW
850 T5

Bit of a late bump, but If I want to remove the rails on my 850 can I use the roof strips from an 850 Saloon or V70?

Thanks
Max M4X WW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2015, 14:12   #10
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

As far as I know yes, I swapped the roof rails from an 850 to a V70 (pre 2000) and didn't notice any differences.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drip rail moulding, gutter trim