Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are they trying pulling a fast one?

Views : 816

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2007, 12:56   #1
jon0881

Default Are they trying pulling a fast one?

Hi,

Ive recently bought an 04 plate s60 d5 s. Apart from a bearing alternator noise, the centre console being broke and a possible rear shock problem im made up with it (oh and one of the boot hydrolic things are broke at the ball socket). I noticed its had a towbar installed on to it but there is no sign of the detatchable bit in the car anywhere. On further inspection i seen that the electrics have been cut to the inside of the car so im not sure whats gone on. I tried to get the 'bar bit', which i think is a bosal standard fit and have been told that it would cost just as much for the head than a new bar. Obviously i thouht, he wants me to have a new bar from him rather than ordering me a spare. Any ideas? I only want to tow a small trailer to the tip and possibly for camping.

Also, ive read up on the ipod adapter, im in two minds to go for the full on adapter for my hu-603 or try to get a cheaper aux input for it. What uguys think?

Best wishes

Jon
jon0881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 16:06   #2
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

Default Ipod link

Jon,
I could be wrong here but I`ve got a feeling the Volvo ipod adaptor doesnt work with the HU603 (works only with HU650?) I asked a main dealer last year ~ maybe another updated one has become available
hobbyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 17:23   #3
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I would email the towbar manufacturer bosal directly and just ask. I would see no reason why they are unable to supply the part by itself.
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 17:25   #4
Jim760
Mr G

heh, id take the car back and tell them to stuff it!
too many issues for an04, its clearly been abused!
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 17:37   #5
jon0881

to be fair, its got 109K miles on it and i only paid £5.5k for it. I dont think i got a bad deal on the car itself.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 12:48   #6
baldt

I used to fit Witter towbars. From what I can tell, I could have read your post wrong, it would seem that the towbar guy is right. For some reason it does indeed cost less to re-fit a complete towbar then simply adding the ball bit. As an example when I used to fit them the average towbar kit cost about £117. However the ball (hook-up) cost about £130 - odd I know!

Am I right from what you say that everything is still in place except the electrics, which have been cut, and the ball? If so that's good! Some people remove the entire thing which is a big no no. To fit a towbar you have to cut away part of the rear section of the car. You then replace it with what comes as part of the towbar kit. This means that the towbar is now integral to the chassis. If you remove everything (which you should never do regardless) then you have a big problem. The best and safest way is to simply remove the electrics and the ball

Hope that made sense
baldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 13:58   #7
jon0881

that makes perfect sense apart from the ball bit costing more than the kit. I guess this is a silly manufacturer thing.

I suppose there is half a chance one might come up on ebay in the future
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 15:12   #8
baldt

I know, it does seem noncence. I suppose it's like when a washing machine fails. Its often cheaper to just buy a whole new one. We live in a throw away society unfortunately

I was going to say about either eBay, or possibly ringing up Bosal fitters in your area and seeing if they have a spare one knocking around the workshop and going cheap!
baldt is offline   Reply With Quote