Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air Filter 740

Views : 2177

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 20:34   #1
panda529e699

Default Air Filter 740

Hello

Just out of interest, wondering how the air filter housing works, 740 B230E K- Jet.
It has a metal pipe to the exhaust manifold, and a larger pipe to the front of the car. The metal pipe has broke in half. I presume its to allow the engine to warm up quicker using the heat from the exhaust, just not sure if this one works, I put some heat down the exhaust air inlet, and the flap remained closed. Thought might get a few more horses if it works correctly.

Thanks

Andrew
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 21:42   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post
Hello

Just out of interest, wondering how the air filter housing works, 740 B230E K- Jet.
It has a metal pipe to the exhaust manifold, and a larger pipe to the front of the car. The metal pipe has broke in half. I presume its to allow the engine to warm up quicker using the heat from the exhaust, just not sure if this one works, I put some heat down the exhaust air inlet, and the flap remained closed. Thought might get a few more horses if it works correctly.

Thanks

Andrew
The idea is the thermostatic flap valve in the part that combines the cold air intake and the heated air intake from the exhaust manifold heatshield allows for a faster warm up and prevents manifold icing in winter while mantaining an average temperature in the summer.

In practive they very often fail and will only admit hot air.

You will get the most power using cold air only as cold air is more dense than hot air, however you will notice hesitancy and flat spots in the winter witha lack-lustre performance.

If you renew the corrugated aluminium hose before winter and only connect it to the thermostatic flap valve when the weather gets colder and you start experiencing hesitancy/flat spots and disconnect again come spring next year, you'll emulate (for the most part) what the thermosttic flap valve is meant to do.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 21:46   #3
bob12
bob12

If you have a couple of pics that would help ...... but as you suspect the metal pipe off the exhaust manifold is there for exactly the reason you suspect.

I would also suggest that there is a diverter flap (between the hot air intake and that from the grille) in the intake attached to the filter housing which is operated by an air thermostat. Unless the piston of the thermostat is sprayed with a lubricant (WD 40 or the like) it seizes with intake crud.

You can dismantle the lot and, with difficulty these days buy a new air thermostat. The originals were made by a German firm Wahler (spelling?).

I can put some pics up later of the details when on my PC where they are stored if you want, but I think I put up a thread here a few years ago.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 22:15   #4
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
If you have a couple .......................

You can dismantle the lot and, with difficulty these days buy a new air thermostat. The originals were made by a German firm Wahler (spelling?).

I can put some pics up later of the details when on my PC where they are stored if you want, but I think I put up a thread here a few years ago.

Bob

Here's a few pics assuming this is what you have got .... Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (164.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 2a.jpg (153.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 3a.jpg (142.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 3R.jpg (155.9 KB, 23 views)
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 22:48   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
These were common on 140 and 240 too , they mixed cool and warm air with the thermostat to give an intake air temperature of 35 C The 340 had the system too on the 1700 cc engine . It makes driving away from cold a lot smoother even on fuel injection engines and reduces emissions . I remember the silver tube was very expensive 40 years ago , I see halfords sell something similar now , you may need a couple of pieces joined with a tube .
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 23:08   #6
panda529e699

Default 740 Air Filter

Many Thanks for all the replies, the pics are very helpful plus the advice. Will also see if I can get some new aluminium pipe, will try Halfords.
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 23:22   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That be the kiddy Bob! Wahler Waxstat seems to ring a bell, some also had vacuum overrides so when you opened the taps, it would divert to cold air only for improved performance. Vauxhall also did this on some models and if memory serves, the vacuum pod pulled the Waxstat to bias it towards the warm air, when the vacuum went (for example when you bury the loud pedal) it relaxed a diaphragm allowing colder air to come in.

The vacuum assisted ones didn't seem to seize up for some reason, i'd forgotten about lubing the piston in it to get it working again, might have to give that a try, thanks!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 00:18   #8
bob12
bob12

One of the only people that do the air thermostats in Europe is Skandix.de at Euro 9.50 from whom I got a couple but, you do have to take account of their excessive delivery costs on top.

If you do want to separate the diverter from the air filter box you will need to take the box out of the car as drifting out the diverter assembly from the box is a bit of a buggxr.

You have to tap two plastic holding lugs in (they may well snap off) and, then with the whole assembly mounted at a suitable angle in a vice, or the like, with a decent heavy hammer and, a wooden drift , gently thwack parts of the diverter near the joint to separate the two parts. Once it starts to move it's a doddle.

If the plastic holding lugs have snapped off you will have to drill a couple of holes near the joint to insert a couple of self-tapping screws to hold the diverter in place and, wrap a length of duck tape over the holes at the original securing lugs.

It's not too difficult really.

Bob
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 00:22   #9
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
These were common on 140 and 240 too , they mixed cool and warm air with the thermostat to give an intake air temperature of 35 C The 340 had the system too on the 1700 cc engine . It makes driving away from cold a lot smoother even on fuel injection engines and reduces emissions . I remember the silver tube was very expensive 40 years ago , I see halfords sell something similar now , you may need a couple of pieces joined with a tube .
Yes, mine is on a B200F (LH 2.4). Cheers, Bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 22:53   #10
bob12
bob12

... and guess what Skandix also 'do' the flexible tube between the exhaust manifold and the air diverter intake for my motor for Euro 7.90 (Volvo Pt no 9438274) .... so, if you buy a couple of air thermos + the tube you might well find the shipping is reasonable. Buy now be4 Brexit!!

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...00-mm/1019018/

Haven't checked a Main Dealer price but, that might be a worthwhile exercise.

Bob
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: