Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ride height

Views : 2543

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2022, 17:26   #11
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Of course, but the OP says his motor car sits 100mm, or 4" lower, the shorter springs only account for 1 1/2", so there is 2 1/2" unaccounted for.

It seems unlikely (to me) that ground clearance to the front cross member can be only 3". VW Golf drivers might disagree with me, but I think any motor car that low would have trouble driving on normal roads.

:-)
I can confirm dimensions from wheel centre to arch are 100mm short on the 460 Di mentions I can also confirm the load height dimension is 90mm short, I'm running 165 X 80 X 15 tyres so close to original cross-ply tyre dimensions, car does not look over lowered so I'm not sure what's not adding up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220412_173413_com.android.gallery3d.jpg (196.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Rustinmotion; Apr 12th, 2022 at 17:37.
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 19:08   #12
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustinmotion View Post
I can confirm dimensions from wheel centre to arch are 100mm short on the 460 Di mentions I can also confirm the load height dimension is 90mm short, I'm running 165 X 80 X 15 tyres so close to original cross-ply tyre dimensions, car does not look over lowered so I'm not sure what's not adding up
I would agree that the motor car certainly does not appear to have the front cross member only 3” from the ground, so I’d say there has been some mistake. Have you tried measuring the roof height - it should be 1530mm/ 60.24” although you should subtract 40mm to account for your shorter springs.

I measured the height of the front cross member on my 1963 122S saloon today: 6 1/2”. I have also just measured the distance between the centre of the grease cap to the apex of the wheel arch on my saloon, and I make it 400mm, with your 40mm shorter springs yours should be 360mm (which appears to be as your have measured).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 12th, 2022 at 19:33.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 21:16   #13
Rustinmotion

Quote:
I would agree that the motor car certainly does not appear to have the front cross member only 3” from the ground, so I’d say there has been some mistake. Have you tried measuring the roof height - it should be 1530mm/ 60.24” although you should subtract 40mm to account for your shorter springs.

I measured the height of the front cross member on my 1963 122S saloon today: 6 1/2”. I have also just measured the distance between the centre of the grease cap to the apex of the wheel arch on my saloon, and I make it 400mm, with your 40mm shorter springs yours should be 360mm (which appears to be as your have measured).

Alan
Thanks Alan, just confirm your car is standard springs and roof height is 1530, that's a good starting point, if you have time can you measure center of axle to floor and suspension arm pivot centre to floor, no matter What tyre or wheel the difference between the two should be constant for any given spring length, a 40m drop would not change axle centre to floor but should drop the pivot point 40mm. Knowing this dimension for a standard set up on good springs would be the benchmark to check against.
My roof height is 1440

Last edited by Rustinmotion; Apr 12th, 2022 at 21:21.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2022, 21:30   #14
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Something doesn't quite make sense here. The OP says his motor car is sitting 100mm (4") lower than standard, but according to Derek UK that would mean the front cross member is stet 3" from the ground. Unless the OP has some very small wheels or very low profile tyres that surely cannot be the case. 3" ground clearance would be very ZZ Top - and probably wouldn't clear most sleeping policemen.

I can't help thinking the OP must have measured something wrong - I'd suggest taking a reading to the roof height (or any other reference) given in the link to the specification that C1800 has provided above.

The shock absorbers and anti-roll bars will not affect the ride height OP. I'm not sure lowering cars ever makes much sense (but that is a personal view) - but that is up to you OP. Did you take any measurements of the ride height before you fitted the 40mm shorter springs?

Some photos would help to envisage the problem OP.

:-)

Alan
Thanks for comments Alan
I'm not suggesting shocks and ARB affect ride height I'm asking if at 90mm drop I need to consider adjustable ARB and shorter shocks, I chose 40mm as I believe its lowest you can go without needing to change anything else, I'm happy with ride height and it rides significantly better around corners ( that could just be new springs Vs old tired springs) something does not add up and my engineer's brain won't quit until I have an answer
Old Apr 13th, 2022, 08:00   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustinmotion View Post
Thanks Alan, just confirm your car is standard springs and roof height is 1530, that's a good starting point, if you have time can you measure center of axle to floor and suspension arm pivot centre to floor, no matter What tyre or wheel the difference between the two should be constant for any given spring length, a 40m drop would not change axle centre to floor but should drop the pivot point 40mm. Knowing this dimension for a standard set up on good springs would be the benchmark to check against.
My roof height is 1440
Good morn,
GAM is as standard and has 165/80R15 tyres fitted..

The roof height is 1480mm (perhaps the saloon is shorter - I don't know).
The wheel axle to ground height is 300mm with the 165/80 tyres.
The rear suspension to ground height is: 245mm (measured to this fulcrum):

Old Apr 13th, 2022, 19:27   #16
Rustinmotion

[QUOTE=Othen;2818719]Good morn,

The rear suspension to ground height is: 245mm (measured to this fulcrum):

[/QUOT]
Perfect il check mine out on Friday, from what I can find out saloon roof height is 1500
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 11:59   #17
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Good morn,

The rear suspension to ground height is: 245mm (measured to this fulcrum)

So I measured the same points and from hub centre to ground it's 300 same as you and the lower trailing arm pivot point is 208 a difference of 92mm yours is 55mm so 37mm which is the 40mm drop.
Not sure why the other dimensions don't add up but this helps rule out wrong springs and agrees with the visual look which doesn't look like a 4" drop
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 21:53   #18
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

240's are 460mm on the front

Amazons are 400mm front and rear
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 07:02   #19
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
240's are 460mm on the front

Amazons are 400mm front and rear
That all ads up now just need to sort out the 10mm difference side to side, are shims available for this car?

Last edited by Rustinmotion; Apr 16th, 2022 at 07:06.
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 08:57   #20
Othen
Premier Member

It does not sound (to me) like there is anything wrong with your motor car - there is always a risk in modifying (such as lowering), but that seems like it has worked fine.

I would not particularly worry about a 10mm difference in height between the left and right sides of the motor car - I'd say that was near enough for government work on a 50 year old machine. I certainly wouldn't start shimming the springs, but if you are concerned it would not take long at all to check they are seated properly.

Enjoy driving your motor car - stop worrying.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 16th, 2022 at 08:57. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote