Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fastest way to 60mph in an auto?

Views : 4401

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 20:20   #61
Sid60ish
VOC Member

Default Tyre Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim760 View Post
the cheek of some of these gay ass FWD car owners eh!! ive done meny a burn out with the rev and Drive method, even once with a full load on my car and the tyres smoked till one poped
How does a tyre get to be head of the Catholic Church ?

What's with the "Gay ass FWD........" bit ? I'm with Jim C on this. Well, no, I'm not WITH Jim C in that sense, I just am of the same lack of persuasion. Er, if you see what I mean.

The speed of dark must be much faster than the speed of light as no matter where the light goes, darkness is sat waiting for it........... (inspired by T Pratchett)
Sid60ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 15:50   #62
dodgyken
Master Member

As the saying used to go "And there's more"

After a Saturday of testing compromise cars (V70R and BMW 545 - and also working out whether I should just go and a NEW V70 D5 - with tuning pack - 210PS and 480NM) we packed and headed to Chur - where I have a space in a garage for the Z4 to live for the winter.

The aim was to leave at a reasonable time and hopefully dodge the bad weather. We half sucessful.

We left at a good time - but the weather was way ahead of us. The route from Zurich is pretty simple - about 65km of motorway west of Wallensee, 15km along the see via tunnels and then 40km on the motorway to Chur. Chur sits 200m higher than Zurich.

As we reached the last 2 tunnels along the See snow was spotted on the edge of the motorway, 10km later and speeds had dropped to 50mph and the snow was on the motorway. 5km later I was cruising and the dizzy pace of 35mph.

A covering of snow across the entire motorway - IE no tracks to follow from the car in front cutting onto tarmac. Now throw in 250PS, RWD AND the grippy benefit of significently worn summer tyres. The last 35km was unadulterated hell. It was dark, the snow was coming down very heavily.

We just managed to get to Chur, and peal off at the first exit hoping the roads into town had been cleared. They hadn't. So every junction was a lesson in downshifting earlier and earlier, allowing the car to roll to stop - because 1 touch of the brakes and the car went sideways - proper opposite lock slide. It would have been fun had I been in an n old 740 and the road had been a deserted car park.

And so finally we parked up at the mother in laws. The task of getting the car to the garage has passed to my brother law (next weekend) or back to me in 4 weeks if the weather doesn't allow.

Having spent the 3 winters on winter tyres, all I can say is that you really miss them when you don't have them on.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 09:53   #63
dodgyken
Master Member

Nudging this thread back up again.

I had the chance to give the 760 GLE a good spanking on a private road at the weekend. The needle pulled strongly past 110, then 120 and then stopped (abruptly) at 130 - and wouldn't go faster - it felt like it does when you hit a limiter!!

On top of that she managed to average the hugely impressive figure of 22mpg (A303 down to Plymouth, M4 back to London) over 480 miles - £100 in fuel!!!
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 10:04   #64
Jim760
Mr G

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyken View Post
Nudging this thread back up again.

I had the chance to give the 760 GLE a good spanking on a private road at the weekend. The needle pulled strongly past 110, then 120 and then stopped (abruptly) at 130 - and wouldn't go faster - it felt like it does when you hit a limiter!!

On top of that she managed to average the hugely impressive figure of 22mpg (A303 down to Plymouth, M4 back to London) over 480 miles - £100 in fuel!!!
well done! i dunno about why it stoped at 130 tho, but atleast you know they really do MOVE the fuel usage is a bit out isn't it? a full tank did 260 miles of mixed driving and i had just under a quarter left. that was filling up at 99p a Litre tho the fact i have the extra power wich means less reving, i gues thats why, but the engine is 3.0.. i dunno how it work that out
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 13:33   #65
dodgyken
Master Member

I was suprised as the needle swept past 120 - but stopping at 130mph was quite amusing. I did a couple of calcs as well - it was pointing at 110mph at 4000rpm - which should be 103.2mph (according to the gearing). Which I reckon meant it hit 123mph - not too shabby.

The fuel economy though is very poor. I know I shouldn't care as depreciation on a £700 is minimal - even if the car gets scrapped after a year. But 22mpg is shockingly bad.

On the flip side the car remained comfortable for 4 hours at the wheel - which is pretty impressive by even modern standards. The climate worked a treat (although the difference between 24 and 25 seemed a little high). Bizarrely on the way down she picked up an intermittent vibration (kind of like white noise) coming from somewhere in the dash. However the noise had vanished by the time we drove back.

She still makes me grin when I park her (in the communal garage) and the engine is burbling along. And TBH, a 19 year old car doing 480miles in a day at comfortable speeds, and allow the driver to still feel fresh is pretty impressive in my book - just wish it was returning 33mpg!!!
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 09:50   #66
spotlamp

Thumbs down Nutters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM C View Post
Jim not all FWD drivers are quote"Gay ass". I am sure I am not one.
Thanks.
I must be missing the point here, I thought these forums were for Volvo drivers, not Volvo wreckers!!
spotlamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 10:48   #67
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark480 View Post
Quickest way for you is probably being trailored by a Porsche Cayenne!

Sub 6 seconds wouldn't be too difficult...
'Mr I Cant afford a Hummer H2'
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 10:51   #68
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim760 View Post
i dont think theres a volvo here that has a problem with that jim
Ahem, Look at us Derv owners!
My 0-60 is just under 14 seconds! With the foot on brake and foot on throttle technique.
Top speed, (Wind assisted downhill) Was 125mph (d24TIC) Red lined...
Sits happily at 5,000 at 110mph approx.

Blows the cobwebs out, just don't look behind, I think I treble the carbon footprint when I'm on the road!
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2007, 20:33   #69
wrenbird

Default Speed Freaks!

Ahem Guys, what's with the speed talk!

We Volvo Estate turbo freaks know we can thrash unsuspecting BMW drivers and, give 'em a run for their money down a motorway, but by god can a Bentley Continental thrash a V Turbo: of course, by undertaking (dangerously) with upcoming truck arse in its driver's face.

He had no choice, really, I had the drop on the outside lane

Last edited by wrenbird; Nov 30th, 2007 at 20:46.
wrenbird is offline   Reply With Quote