Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 fuel consumption and tank size!

Views : 36938

Replies : 103

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2008, 19:05   #61
hitby

My 2005 2.0D SE is doing about 51mpg average. That's a 90mile a day return commute, mixture of A road (65-85mph) and sat in traffic. I give it the odd blast as well where safety allows. If I don't exceed 65 then over a couple of weeks I get 57mpg (but also want to kill myself out of boredom It's running on the 17" Silverstones if it makes any difference.
hitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 19:12   #62
Clan
Experienced Member

Thats a good one :-) The very most i could get out of one was 48 mpg over 4 days and 800 miles going back and forth to the midlands driving with economy in mind and trying not to use too much turbo boost , changing up early etc ...

You could get your consumption from a V70 D5 makes you wonder whats the point of a smaller volvo that uses the same or more fuel than a V70 . or is it the V 70 which is exceptional? :-)
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 19:37   #63
hitby

I have no need for a bigger car Prefer the 'chuckability' that my S40 has. Out of interest, mine's an SE and its got the Strut Brace under the bonnet. Is this right, I thought it was only on the sport?
hitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 20:47   #64
Clan
Experienced Member

The "Strut-Brace" came after a certain date on most versions, all 2.0D . The current model year is starting to have it integrated into the structure on LHD models so they will seem to be missing again now . I dont think they are there to stop shell flex but to damp out booming noise ...
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 14:18   #65
TimBayeux

Default Full consumption info..

For more comparison data you can look here (but numbers are litres fuel per 100km (62.5 miles)...
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overvi...95&power_e=110
TimBayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 19:30   #66
Vulvo

Ok, I have done quite some research into the fuel economy issues described in this thread.
I have a 55 plate V50 2.0 diesel, SE Sport (61,000 miles on the clock).
I also have a 05 plate Audi A4 Avant, 2.0 TDi diesel SE MULTITRONIC Automatic. (109,000 miles on the clock)

I drove very carefully to our friends in Bournemouth and back in both cars. The round trip is approx 160 miles. We averaged 75 mph on the motorway, which represents about 85% of the journey.
The Audi averaged 50mpg
The Volvo average 41mpg

The facts clearly speak for themselves. The Audi is significantly more economical than the Volvo in the same driving conditions.

Investigation suggests the diesel emissions filter system (the particulates filter) in the exhaust may affect the economy significantly. This might explain the varying results experienced by different owners in this forum.

I wonder if this filter can be removed without significantly increasing the emissions of the car. Whilst the emissions might go up, the amount of fuel used goes down, so damage to the environment remains at 'just a lot', rather than catastrophic.

I hope this little survey helps. I did do it quite carefully and did the journey in both cars twice, and the results were the same on both occasions.

Regards
Vulvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 19:39   #67
Clan
Experienced Member

How many kg does each car weigh?? which is the lightest and which is the most aerodynamic?? Aerodynamics play a big part at over 70 mph as the new C30 DRIve shows .
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 19:56   #68
Vulvo

Excellent question.

The Audi A4 Avant weighs in at 1530kg
The Volvo V50 weighs in at 1404kg

So, the Volvo is lighter, and probably 'more slippy'.

Plus, the journey to bournemouth and back twice included the same passengers too. My wife and I, plus 2 kids.

Given the power output from the engine is the same, I would have expected a similar economy figure. Not a variation of 20%. I have a friend who has the Ford Focus, and his economy is remarkable. I don't think the Ford has a diesel particulates filter in the exhaust system.

Regards
Vulvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 21:44   #69
Clan
Experienced Member

do the official consumption figures bear this out ??
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 08:43   #70
chrisdc

Default 28mpg?

Hi all, just bought a 2008 V50 2.0D Auto (6 speed Powershift). It had 95000km on the clock and its in beautiful condition. Only one problem. Best fuel consumption so far is 11.7km to the litre (28.5 mpg). This is with careful driving and a roughly 50/50 mix of town and freeway driving. Aircon (climate control set to auto) is on all the time. No junk in the car and usually just driver and one passenger. Just filled up for the second time - consumption calculated the old fashioned way - full tank, reset trip counter, full tank, divide km travelled by litres required to fill tank again. Interestingly have twice had the "Diesel particulate filter full" message which the owners manual says can happen between 300 and 700km travelled. The message clears itself and the car seems to run normally. Car has also just had service at a Volvo dealership. Was due at 100,000km but message "Book service" appeared at 96000km followed about 5 days later by another "Service due" message. I had already booked the service by then and it turns out the second message was generated because "engine oil had deteriorated" (in only 6000km?). Apart from a faulty dead-lock on one of the rear doors, no other problems were found. Reading this thread seems to suggest the 40mpg would be considered bad(ish). How i wish i could this experience this badness for myself. 28.5mpg is the worst consumption i have seen anywhere on any forum for this engine. There must be something wrong. But what? Any ideas anyone? By the way, the car has a full service history with Volvo and seems to have been meticulously maintained with services every 10,000km more or less on the dot. Its still covered by the 5 year 100,000km maintenance plan.

Last edited by chrisdc; Jan 26th, 2013 at 08:49. Reason: Additional info:
chrisdc is offline   Reply With Quote