Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine System service required

Views : 28009

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2017, 18:10   #1
bobsy852

Default Engine System service required

Evening all.
so after 8 months of wondeful problem free motoring in my D5 i got my forst problem tonight.
112k miles and I just changed the oil this last Saturday. Then tonight, driving up the motorway to visit my partner in hospital and I get "Engine System service required".
Luckily the car still ran (well enough to get me to the hospital).
I have about a 30 miles to drive home. Then tomorrow i have a 200 mile round trip to complete tomorrow! :/

Is this message just because the On Board Computer thinks an oil service is due (as i didnt tell the car id changed the oil)? If so how do i reset this? Or for future, how do i tell the car that ive serviced it?

Or is it likely to be something more serious??
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 18:24   #2
pacman67
VOC Member

Too much oil after your oil change, common issue, should not be filled to max more like 3/4.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacman67 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 18:41   #3
bobsy852

I made sure it wasnt as i learnt from this last time! Only put 6.5l in.
If i drop some out of it will it just go out?

I wont get chance until perhaps tomorrow to take some out. Reckong it'll be okay for a couple hundred miles? :/
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 19:55   #4
Tatsfield
Premier Member

It's possible that on your journey the DPF underwent a regeneration and, as apparently happens with this crazy system, put excess unburnt diesel fuel unto the oil sump. That's going to be the only way the sump can fill rather than deplete. If 6.5 l is 75% that would mean the sump holds 8.7 l. Is it that much? You need to drop the level before the crankcase over-pressures due to excess oil. Also I always worry about the lubricating quality of oil diluted 3:1 with diesel. Sorry to be so cheerful.
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 20:54   #5
Scooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsy852 View Post
I made sure it wasnt as i learnt from this last time! Only put 6.5l in.
If i drop some out of it will it just go out?

I wont get chance until perhaps tomorrow to take some out. Reckong it'll be okay for a couple hundred miles? :/
6.5 litres is far too much. Practise is to put 5.75 litres in now (3/4 on dipstick), but I ask my garage to put in 5.5 litres, as I had this message a couple of years ago with 5.75 litres after many months of driving due to leave build. If it's been near if Volvo dealer for a service in the last few years there should be a sticker as you lift the bonnet stating full no more than 3/4 of dipstick.

Since putting in 5.5 litres (this gives a level of 50% on dipstick) I never have a problem even if the level builds a little due to multiple failed DPF regens.

When I had a problem of high oil level, I sucked out 500 ml using a windscreen washer tube pushed down the dipstick hole (a trick I learned on here). After about 10 miles or so the dash light went out on its own accord without any reset.

Last edited by Scooser; Jan 25th, 2017 at 21:01.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooser For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 23:20   #6
bobsy852

Thanks all! I dropped some oil out tonight so it's about 1/4 of a way up the dipstick. Couldnt measure exactly how much i dropped out. Drove it 40miles back from my friends house late this evening and the service message is still up. I'll check the oil level before i set off tomorrow but I think it should be right now! Hopefully the message will clear in the morning. If not I guess i'll get the codes read at the weekend. At least now I know i dont have too much oil in!
5.7litres noted for future oil changes though. Thank you!!

Not a fan of the fact that it would seem it's tried to do a DPF clean in the earlier part of this week either when all my journies have been short ones about town. From today through to sunday it'll be on a 45mins minimum motorway journey each time it's turned on! I wish i could tel it when to start a regen!!!
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 23:23   #7
bobsy852

What i meant to ask was presumably the message doesnt clear as soon as the oil level is reduced? Or should it?
Im expecting it to go away when i switch it on one time over the next couple of days....
Old Jan 25th, 2017, 23:39   #8
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I think you need to get the codes read to find out what's going on. The owners handbook will give you guidance on what the messages indicate, but typically you get something like 'TIME FOR REGULAR SERVICE' for normal scheduled maintenance for an oil change whereas 'ENGINE STSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED' means there is a fault that needs to be rectified. Fault messages generally disappear after a number of on / off cycles have taken place after the fault has cleared.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 09:49   #9
Scooser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsy852 View Post
What i meant to ask was presumably the message doesnt clear as soon as the oil level is reduced? Or should it?
Im expecting it to go away when i switch it on one time over the next couple of days....
Have patience. My light did not clear immediately after the oil level was reduced, but after a day or two of driving.

Others on this forum advised me the light would clear itself after a bit of driving, when I posted the issue a couple of years ago, so it's common for the light it clear itself after a bit of driving once the oil level is reduced.

Should be no need to read codes or clear the light.
Scooser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooser For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2017, 11:28   #10
bobsy852

THanks Scooster! I was going to get the codes read today but i'll give it to the weekend and see if it settles down.

It's had a good hard drive up to Morecambe this morning (4-5th gear m'way driving at 2.5-3000rpm) to hopefully clean out the DPF seen as it's obviously tried to do a regen earlier this week while i've been tootling around towns