Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine after 30 years in storage - 2litre

Views : 972

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2019, 22:20   #11
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Sound advice, Stephen. Rereading 'pbeardmore's original post, I was thinking much the same. If the car was simply driven into a garage and left with 'no special measures' (sic) being taken, I think he is almost certainly looking at a full restoration job rather than simple recommissioning.

There are also other things to be considered as well; bodywork corrosion and interior condition for example. After so long a period of inactivity, both may well have deteriorated, particularly if the car was effectively forgotten about over that time. There is a huge difference *between 'laying-up' a car and simply running it into a garage and leaving it; 'pbeardmore's original post suggests that the latter case is more likely in this instance.

It would be good to know his plans for the car and his success in implementing them. It could make for a very interesting thread to which I am sure those with vastly more knowledge and experience than I would enjoy contributing.

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Apr 3rd, 2019 at 22:23. Reason: Typo *
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 09:39   #12
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I agree absolutely.
But I think it's a 2-stage process. One is just to get it running, safely, and perhaps tentatively try moving it backwards and forwards, trying the brakes etc. That gives confidence, and lets you then plan carefully what you want/need to do next.

Lots of little but crucial things are likely to be seized/perished/rusted/collapsed. You don't realise with a car in use daily/weekly/monthly or even only annually how much a car's smooth working depends on use.

On the other hand I have heard of cars that have been left standing outside for years and start first time with a fresh battery and a can of fuel and been driven off. I once bought a Saab 96 for spares. It had been abandoned under a hedge for years, with bushes growing around it. We dragged it out, I had been going to tow it home, but thought I'd give it a go starting. It fired-up after a few turns, and moved, after a fashion. I drove it 15 miles home, completely illegally. That's what people did in rural areas in those days.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 16:08   #13
skidje
Master Member

Pritty sure the brakes will be blocked/stuck.

Belts and tyres most probably need replacement.

Older engines laying around seems to benefit from some atf-oil to clean the piston rings.
I once put an engine aside in good knick soaked in ATF. 15 years later started like new!!
skidje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 19:15   #14
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

...but John, you will let us know how you get on won't you? Please. Always interesting...

Good luck btw
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 19:43   #15
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Lewin View Post
...but John, you will let us know how you get on won't you? Please. Always interesting...

Good luck btw
If your remarks were addressed to me, Nicholas, you've left me a little confused. My posts were made in response to 'pbeardmore's request regarding the likelihood of damage to his car after an extended period of storage, and not on my own behalf.

Regards, John.
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 23:07   #16
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeardmore View Post
What are the issues if no special measures were taken when parked into the garage? Permanent damage or should be OK?
Subscribed, April fool's popcorn in hand ...

I'd just fit a battery and race the bugger.
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 09:01   #17
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
Subscribed, April fool's popcorn in hand ...

I'd just fit a battery and race the bugger.
I certainly didn't see this post as an 'April Fool' gag, 'DR', and neither have the other respondents; what makes you think it is?

It seems to me more like a request from someone who wants to save his car rather than destroy it by racing it; which itself would require much more preparation than just 'fitting a battery' after 30 years disuse.

Regards. John.