Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition Switch won't go past Position I

Views : 24108

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2011, 17:08   #1
hancym
Master Member

Default Ignition Switch won't go past Position I

Help please. Just went to get back into my car and I can't get the key to go past Position I. Not given any signs of problems before. Is this some fancy electrical problem of is the locked mechanically broken?

What are my options please? Anything will help please as my car is stranded in the street!
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 17:50   #2
Jim314
Premier Member

Have you tried wiggling the steering wheel as you try to turn the key?

On my last vehicle (non Volvo) the tab on the end of the lock cylinder broke and it would not actuate the ignition switch behind it. The tab had been broken for some time and it worked but I could tell it was not right. I continued to use the vehicle and it finally chewed up the end of the ign switch and would not work. This could be what has happened with you. Or it could be internal to the ignition switch or to the lock cylinder.

Perhaps some powdered graphite puffed into the key hole of the lock would free it. Or some spray lock lubricant like Lock-Ease. Use the end of a straightened paper clip or small flat blade screwdriver to hold open the flap in the key hole to allow lubricant to be puffed or sprayed into the lock.

Last edited by Jim314; Jul 16th, 2011 at 18:45.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 18:28   #3
hancym
Master Member

Yes, steering wheel is completely free and the turn of the key to the first position releases it in the normal way and engages primary electrics. The lock has bee WD40'd but to be honest it has never shown any signs of failure at all.

I've now raised and RAC call to get me home (3 hours 'til they arrive) It'll be interesting to see how they get the car on the recovery lorry. Does the parking brake lock the rear wheels also?

I've disconnected the battery for a good 15mins to see if it could have been anything electrical getting in a twist but no joy there.

I can only assume it's purely mechanical so I'll see if the ignition barrel comes off easily and I can do a quick repair of any sorts? Can anyone help here please.

Does anyone know if it's possible just to get a barrel to fit the existing keys and if so what the lead time might be? I can't find this info on a Saturday night and need the car on Monday week to go to a family funeral in Wales. I need to understand what situation I'm in ASAP so I can plan for it
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 18:29   #4
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Doesn't having it anything but park stop the ignition also?
Bill Edmondson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 18:31   #5
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancym View Post
Yes, steering wheel is completely free and the turn of the key to the first position releases it in the normal way and engages primary electrics. The lock has bee WD40'd but to be honest it has never shown any signs of failure at all.

I've now raised and RAC call to get me home (3 hours 'til they arrive) It'll be interesting to see how they get the car on the recovery lorry. Does the parking brake lock the rear wheels also?

I've disconnected the battery for a good 15mins to see if it could have been anything electrical getting in a twist but no joy there.

I can only assume it's purely mechanical so I'll see if the ignition barrel comes off easily and I can do a quick repair of any sorts? Can anyone help here please.

Does anyone know if it's possible just to get a barrel to fit the existing keys and if so what the lead time might be? I can't find this info on a Saturday night and need the car on Monday week to go to a family funeral in Wales. I need to understand what situation I'm in ASAP so I can plan for it
I changed the barrel on my old BMW E34 5series, no small task, and had to get new keys as well. Though that was a 94 car and a different make. Not much help that was it
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 18:40   #6
hancym
Master Member

I suppose it was a bit helpful, scared me to death about the prices I might face for something so simple. In all the cars I've had, I've never had a lock fail on me and especially didn't expect it to happen on a Volvo
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 19:14   #7
hancym
Master Member

I've just done some reading online and came across mention of the ignition barrel/lock assy. being held on to the steering column by some shear bolts that need drilling out to remove the lock.

Can anyone please elaborate on this? has anyone removed an ignition switch from an XC90? I can see myself having to do this next week and would appreciate some advice.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 19:36   #8
Jim314
Premier Member

If you do have to change the lock cylinder, you should not have to get new keys. The new cylinder should be keyable to the old key.

I don't think WD40 is the correct lube for a lock in a vehicle. Excess WD40 might cause damage to plastic components.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 20:34   #9
hancym
Master Member

RAC man had the Torq drive to undo the plastic and the electrics from the barrel. I'm now on my drive after starting the car with a screwdriver!

Can any one please tell me how to remove the bolts holding the ignition switch to the steering column?
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 20:44   #10
Bill Edmondson
AV Guru

I am trying to remember getting my Beemer one out, and do remember having to absolutely muller the existing bolts to get the damn thing out.

I also STRONGLY believe this will be the same across the board!!!

It may be time to open your wallet unfortunately.

Sorry